Andy MacPhail is no different.....

Peace21

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again let me make myself clear. I support Andy MacPhail. I have faith in what he is doing. But he needs to make something happen soon. And some will say no he doesnt because he has the leverage. But time is crucial. If you want the guys you want back. You would like them to know that they are being traded here,that they are starting ST as an Oriole, and that we can move on and start our season.

I agree and when you have players that have a chance to be above average players such as Jones, do you really want him to stay in a Seattle uniform and possibly tear it up and then when the trade deadline comes they can say thanks but no thanks...

It's hit or miss, but is never as easy as us speculating...

Using that logic, there would likely be new teams that would have interest in Bedard. There will always be a market for a pitcher like Bedard.

I was using that logic in addition to the fact that Bedard might not get off to a great start or get injured. He is well known to be a head case, so he might have all this offseason trade speculation in his head and have a bad April. Too many things can happen between now and July to decrease or keep his value the same. Too much risk in my opinion.

I agree 100%, but it's way to premature to be judgin AM at this point. Again, I don't see the gamble until at least ST starts.
That'll definitely be the point where we can really start breakin out the MacFail this and MacFail that's, but I still think it's risky to be going towards February without a deal for Bedard getting done. As SG has pointed out for us, we need to focus on other needs and not spend the whole offseason trying to shop Bedard. Seattle might be saying something similar - that they can't waste so much time hoping Andy budges on his demands.

I haven't totally given up hope but it's looking damn bleak to me right now.

You may have to take a lesser deal to trade him at the deadline. Few contenders are going to give up ML ready player or young ML players that are helping them contend. So all we will get are prospects, not sure things by any means. The players we are talking about for Bedard are pretty close to can't miss guys...

Since when is it bad to get prospects? We are REBUILDING. If we don't get a few close to ready guys at the deadline then we will get more high ceiling younger guys instead.

I was using that logic in addition to the fact that Bedard might not get off to a great start or get injured. He is well known to be a head case, so he might have all this offseason trade speculation in his head and have a bad April. Too many things can happen between now and July to decrease or keep his value the same. Too much risk in my opinion.

He is a well known head case? Where do you people come up with this crap?

I'm confused about who Peace has a problem with. He seems to be blaming Angelos for the lack of action, and yet he says MacPhail is second guessing himself.

And if everyone else in baseball knew what kind of person Angelos is to work for, why didn't MacPhail? How could he have not known what kind of situation he was getting into?

Exactly, most big deals do happen last minute. Wieters? Hell, it's Boras' mantra to wait until the last possible second to make a deal and right now McPhail is pretty much an agent type trying to sell a very desirable product.

It's my opinion that the deal for Weiters was made before he was drafted and it was becuase of McPhail that it lasted until the 11th hour.

Again let me make myself clear. I support Andy MacPhail. I have faith in what he is doing. But he needs to make something happen soon. And some will say no he doesnt because he has the leverage. But time is crucial. If you want the guys you want back. You would like them to know that they are being traded here,that they are starting ST as an Oriole, and that we can move on and start our season.
Until they need to book their flights, I don't see it making any difference. I'd rather have more talented players who are a little confused by their surroundings than lesser talented guys who have lots of time to adjust to being an Oriole.

I'm confused about who Peace has a problem with. He seems to be blaming Angelos for the lack of action, and yet he says MacPhail is second guessing himself.

And if everyone else in baseball knew what kind of person Angelos is to work for, why didn't MacPhail? How could he have not known what kind of situation he was getting into?

I think MacPhail wanted to take on the challenge of working under Angelos. But is their any difference as to what AM's doing, as to what the poeple before him have done?

I would think Bedard's desire to be traded would be a great incentive to start the year off with a bang. Hopefully he realizes the better he does, the faster he gets traded. And the injury bug is over-rated.

This whole thing reminds me very much of the days, hours and minutes before the deadline to sign Weiters. I remember being glued to the screen, panic starting to set in. Nothing . . . nothing . . . still nothing! Then at midnight when we all realized that the deadline had past and still no Weiters! That was wild. But then, like 5 minutes after the deadline . . . We Got Him!!! and the band goes wild!!!

Maybe AM just likes to draw things out. He certainly seems comfortable taking negotiations to the very brink, if necessary. My guess is within the next 2 weeks we will all be analyzing trades, several trades.

At least I hope so! :confused:

I think MacPhail wanted to take on the challenge of working under Angelos. But is their any difference as to what AM's doing, as to what the poeple before him have done?

Yes. MacPhail is actually trying to rebuild, and acknowledges that we aren't anywhere close to competing.

Archived