I don't care what anyone says, 100 saves in two years is impressive

Frobby

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care, Frob. JJ doesn't blow the saves that he did and we're looking at a better chance of WC contention.
I have to assume you're not being serious. As was pointed out, the Orioles lost 8 games after Johnson blew the save. The Orioles were 7 games out of winning the first or second wild card slot outright. O.K. fine, Johnson has 7 less blown saves. He would have a 57 save season. Yeah, it's his fault he didn't tie for what would have been the second greatest save total for a single season, ever. As a team, they had 18 blown saves from someone not named Johnson, including 4 each from Matusz and O'Day, 3 from Strop, 2 each from Gausman and Hunter, along with one from Ayala, Patton, and Stinson.

How about the starters? Hammel also has eight losses,as does Miguel Gonzalez. Combined, Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez are 25-23 in 74 starts, basically one win every three times one of them starts the game.

Nah, let's just put it all on Johnson. It saves time without looking at the rest of the team.

I don't care, Frob. JJ doesn't blow the saves that he did and we're looking at a better chance of WC contention.

Yes, but you could and should say something similar about at least 5-6 other Orioles. If Markakis or Wieters had hit better, if Hammel was just decent, if Chen was healthy, if Strop hadn't imploded, if Arrieta didn't melt down... A handful of those flipping would have overcome Johnson's save percentage.

I have to assume you're not being serious. As was pointed out, the Orioles lost 8 games after Johnson blew the save. The Orioles were 7 games out of winning the first or second wild card slot outright. O.K. fine, Johnson has 7 less blown saves. He would have a 57 save season. Yeah, it's his fault he didn't tie for what would have been the second greatest save total for a single season, ever. As a team, they had 18 saves from someone not named Johnson, including 4 each from Matusz and O'Day, 3 from Strop, 2 each from Gausman and Hunter, along with one from Ayala, Patton, and Stinson.

How about the starters? Hammel also has eight losses,as does Miguel Gonzalez. Combined, Hammel, Chen, and Gonzalez are 25-23 in 74 starts, basically one win every three times one of them starts the game.

Nah, let's just put it all on Johnson. It saves time without looking at the rest of the team.

And even a great closer having a great season would have blown 3, 4, 5 or more of those saves. 57-for-57 might have gotten Johnson Cy Young and MVP consideration.

It's an impressive number for sure. However, I do not care.

Way too many of his saves were like today's game. He was credited with a save, but pitched terrible. Had it not been for the defense bailing him out with the double play, it would have been blown save #10.

Last year, when JJ would come in, I felt very confident. This year you hold your breath. I cringed when they took out Hammel and brought in JJ. You should not have that feeling with an all star closer.

Zero interest in bringing him back for 8-9 million. Zero.

But Randy Johnson could have right?

Roger Clemens?

Nolan Ryan?

John Smoltz?

Bob Gibson?

Jim Palmer?

Of course they could have, but why would they. What good SP wants to be a CL instead. It's a silly notion. RP are by definition failed SP. It's like saying MCab would be a great PH lets not start him.

It's an impressive number for sure. However, I do not care.

Way too many of his saves were like today's game. He was credited with a save, but pitched terrible. Had it not been for the defense bailing him out with the double play, it would have been blown save #10.

Last year, when JJ would come in, I felt very confident. This year you hold your breath. I cringed when they took out Hammel and brought in JJ. You should not have that feeling with an all star closer.

Zero interest in bringing him back for 8-9 million. Zero.

He gave up one solid hit, two GB that bled through an over shifted IF, a K, and a DP. I wouldn't call that bad at all.

Archived