Markakis ended up at negative WAR in both rWAR and fWAR this year

AlbionHero

Yeah. Me too. He's our mess next year. Another good look at why even moderate long term deals can be hazardous.

They can be, but they're also a great opportunity to lock up good young players at below-market rates. This is the first year of Nick's deal that it wouldn't have cost as much or more to get equivalent production out of a free agent.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And people complain about Roberts. He was worth about 4.5 M and we paid 10M, but Nick was worth -1.2 M and we paid and additional 12M.

Over the last four years Roberts was paid $40M on the expectation that he'd produce about 8 wins. He actually produced about one.

Over the last four years Markakis was paid $44.7M and produced 6.5 wins.

So Roberts produced about one win per $40M, Markakis one per $6.8M. So, there's that.

Over the last four years Roberts was paid $40M on the expectation that he'd produce about 8 wins. He actually produced about one.

Over the last four years Markakis was paid $44.7M and produced 6.5 wins.

So Roberts produced about one win per $40M, Markakis one per $6.8M. So, there's that.

Next year I think Roberts would be worth at least 1 fWAR and be paid less than 5M, Nick would be lucky to be worth 2 fWAR and be paid 15.3 M. There's that.

Next year I think Roberts would be worth at least 1 fWAR and be paid less than 5M, Nick would be lucky to be worth 2 fWAR and be paid 15.3 M. There's that.

What does next year have to do with it? People aren't complaining about BRob because of what he may do next year. They're complaining about what the Orioles got for their $40 mm. As to Nick, I guarantee you there are going to be plenty of people complaining about him next year if he repeats 2012. If he gives us a 2.0 fWAR season, he'll be overpaid, but you won't hear too much complaining about it. He just won't be renewed at that price, if at all.

Will Showalter sit him if he isn't playing well? Unfortunately, I have my doubts.

(NM is one of my favorites, too)

Part of that question has to do with who plays when Markakis sits. If it comes down to playing AAAA pieces like Pearce/Valencia or iffy young guys like Avery/Hoes, it probably makes sense to play Markakis and hope he finds his stroke.

I just hope Markakis can re-focus. Maybe being a de facto contract year will light a fire under him. Markakis must know (as we all do) that his option will not be picked up if he continues on his current track.

He has kinda become this guy. I hope his age 30 is a good one though. Maybe Brady can do his magic.

I laugh whenever I read that Brady is somehow the answer. He is a former O that kept himself in shape. Big deal. I have yet to see direct results of any player improving on the field from Brady's workouts. Maybe the Oriole players should start working out with a trainer that has documented results. Lets be honest here. Brady is at least "a little suspect" when it comes to getting results. In todays PED climate, I would think the Orioles would want to stay as far away from Brady as possible. But some how he s a VP. I think it is one of the most amazing stories in baseball.

Plenty of people didn't like the Roberts deal if I recall. I know I didn't.

Yes, but what people didn't like about the Roberts deal was they figured that by 2013, Roberts would be about the player he actually is right now. They didn't figure he'd miss most of 2010-11 when he would have still been expected to be a pretty good player, or 2012 when he'd still probably be a decent player, or the first half of 2013.

I laugh whenever I read that Brady is somehow the answer. He is a former O that kept himself in shape. Big deal. I have yet to see direct results of any player improving on the field from Brady's workouts. Maybe the Oriole players should start working out with a trainer that has documented results. Lets be honest here. Brady is at least "a little suspect" when it comes to getting results. In todays PED climate, I would think the Orioles would want to stay as far away from Brady as possible. But some how he s a VP. I think it is one of the most amazing stories in baseball.

As much as I detest the guys who took PEDs (and I am not implying Brady was one of them), I really don't understand any correlation between one's baseball acumen/status as a fitness guru and whether or not the player took PEDs.

As much as I detest the guys who took PEDs (and I am not implying Brady was one of them), I really don't understand any correlation between one's baseball acumen/status as a fitness guru and whether or not the player took PEDs.

If one was being touted as a fitness guru, as Brady is... 1st,one would think there would be some kind of results to back up the guru status and 2nd as the management of a team where PED's are the number one topic of conversation, I would keep my players away from any rumored user. ( unlike you I am implying that Brady used them ). Somehow I don't think management would by recommending the "Barry Bonds fitness center" to their players. If one was to make the leap that Brady used PED's, (products that make you stronger and faster), then who would want to work out with a guy that obviously couldn't get stronger and fast enough on his workout program, that he had to resort to PED's?

If one was being touted as a fitness guru, as Brady is... 1st,one would think there would be some kind of results to back up the guru status and 2nd as the management of a team where PED's are the number one topic of conversation, I would keep my players away from any rumored user. ( unlike you I am implying that Brady used them ). Somehow I don't think management would by recommending the "Barry Bonds fitness center" to their players. If one was to make the leap that Brady used PED's, (products that make you stronger and faster), then who would want to work out with a guy that obviously couldn't get stronger and fast enough on his workout program, that he had to resort to PED's?

These were Brady's workout supplements.

Archived