Markakis ended up at negative WAR in both rWAR and fWAR this year

AlbionHero

So Brady is the reason that Tillman has progressed, but not the reason Matusz appears to be ready to pass out after facing two batters? You would have to give me a lot more information then one player maturing to convince me that the reason is Brady. There certainly is not enough data to produce a credible report that suggests that working out with Brady over any good trainer is beneficial. Throw in what I consider a huge risk and personally I'd stay away.

Matusz was the worst starting pitcher in baseball history before. He now gets Papi and Hamilton out with ease. I think he reached his ceiling.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Brady is the reason that Tillman has progressed, but not the reason Matusz appears to be ready to pass out after facing two batters? You would have to give me a lot more information then one player maturing to convince me that the reason is Brady. There certainly is not enough data to produce a credible report that suggests that working out with Brady over any good trainer is beneficial. Throw in what I consider a huge risk and personally I'd stay away.

You only get out of a workout what you put into a workout.

I don't think anyone would say that Matusz has not improved from his pencil necked state of two years ago.

I do know that I have watched him and Tommy Hunter (who also trains with Brady) long toss and Tommy goes wall to wall. Brian 2/3rds of the way.

Chris Tillman has spent the last two offseasons with Brady. Before that he and Matusz were at Athletes Performance, San Diego. Word had it that they Surfed a bit.

While I'm not as skeptical as NJ BIRD FAN, I do think we should be hesitant to make the causal link that Tillman is pitching better because he's been working out with Brady. I believe Gonzalez and Chen both did so last winter, and it doesn't seem to have helped them much. Hunter did it in the 2011-12 offseason, and it didn't seem to help him as a starting pitcher. When Matusz was starting games in 2012, it didn't seem to have helped his stamina any.

So, while Tillman definitely is doing better, I don't know how much of that is conditioning and how much of it is learning how to pitch. I'm not saying Brady deserves zero credit, just that it's debatable how much of the credit he deserves.

Frankly, I'm more bullish that Brady can develop a routine that will help Markakis. Markakis already knows how to hit. Nothing wrong with his technique, mechanics or plate discipline. Being as strong, quick and explosive as he can be is something that will help him use the major league skills he already has.

Matusz was the worst starting pitcher in baseball history before. He now gets Papi and Hamilton out with ease. I think he reached his ceiling.

Actually in 2010 he had a decent year. I'm sure following that season no one thought he had reached his ceiling. I don't know when you claim he worked out with Brady, but he went from possible TOR starter to a Loogey. So anyone that does not get better working with Brady has reached their ceiling and anyone that progresses it is all attributed to Brady?

Actually in 2010 he had a decent year. I'm sure following that season no now thought he had reached his ceiling. I don't know when you claim he worked out with Brady, but he went from possible TOR starter to a Loogey. So anyone that does not get better working with Brady has reached their ceiling and anyone that progresses it is all attributed to Brady?

Not at all. I actually agree with Frobby's post a bit. Though there are a few issues there that I would continue to discuss with him. It is obvious that you dislike Brady so regarding your posts I don't have much to talk about.

After 2011 it was uncertain that Matusz would be a pitcher.

He wasn't the worst starting pitcher in history in 2009 when he went 5-2 with a 4.63 ERA.

He wasn't the worst starting pitcher in history in 2010 when he went 10-12 with a 4.30 ERA.

I think being a good LOOGY is a serious step down.

Yeah. Well. In 2011, he was very close to being done as a pitcher.

Yeah. Well. In 2011, he was very close to being done as a pitcher.

You know me, I think being a LOOGY is just a step away from being done as a pitcher.

There is no reason the kid we saw in 2010 and 2009 could not be a #5 starter or a late inning shut down reliever.

They tweaked his delivery to improve his TTTP, he got hurt and lost his command and change up.

Unless someone else remembers it differently?

Not at all. I actually agree with Frobby's post a bit. Though there are a few issues there that I would continue to discuss with him. It is obvious that you dislike Brady so regarding your posts I don't have much to talk about.

After 2011 it was uncertain that Matusz would be a pitcher.

I don't dislike Brady. I just keep hearing people talk about Brady working his magic. I have yet to see this magic. The other half of it is what I consider a questionable past. Think about how nuts this board would go if we found out that all the current Cardinal players were working out at Mark McGwire's gym. I think it's funny and really kinda odd that it isn't mentioned.

I don't dislike Brady. I just keep hearing people talk about Brady working his magic. I have yet to see this magic. The other half of it is what I consider a questionable past. Think about how nuts this board would go if we found out that all the current Cardinal players were working out at Mark McGwire's gym. I think it's funny and really kinda odd that it isn't mentioned.

Some people think differently about Brady than you do. Cal says he was clean. And is simply his best friend. Brady was never McGwire.

Archived