Roch: Feldman Could Return But Hammel & McLouth Probably Won't

Brendan25

Oh, here we go already.

It is an important factor. I can only think of a few reasons why you wouldn't want to give the fans an idea of a budget operating range for a given year.

1.) An agent can use you to get more money (from either you or someone else).

2.) You don't want to disappoint the fan base if you do not hit that mark if you do not see the value in a certain group of free agents.

3.) You do not want the fan base to know what you can afford because they may expect you to be in that range year after year.

If the team salary is tied to profit than the Orioles can increase salary, but the team salary will keep inching to $120M just by arbitration increases and possible extentions for current Orioles (Davis is a great example). I know that a Davis extention could be timed nicely with Markakis' salary coming off of the book, but you would still need funds (or a prospect) to replace Markakis'. The Orioles have enough money to support a $120M payroll IMO and even if you go the route of overpaying a DH/RF/SP or two it would still allow the team to be upgraded without mortgaging future money (like what the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have done).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is an important factor. I can only think of a few reasons why you wouldn't want to give the fans an idea of a budget operating range for a given year.

2.) You don't want to disappoint the fan base if you do not hit that mark if you do not see the value in a certain group of free agents.

3.) You do not want the fan base to know what you can afford because they may expect you to be in that range year after year.

If the team salary is tied to profit than the Orioles can increase salary, but the team salary will keep inching to $120M just by arbitration increases and possible extentions for current Orioles (Davis is a great example). I know that a Davis extention could be timed nicely with Markakis' salary coming off of the book, but you would still need funds (or a prospect) to replace Markakis'. The Orioles have enough money to support a $120M payroll IMO and even if you go the route of overpaying a DH/RF/SP or two it would still allow the team to be upgraded without mortgaging future money (like what the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have done).

I agree with this. You could sign Granderson for 10M, Feldman for 8M, and a couple of role players for the bench/DH/4thOF/RP, and still be under 120M. The question is does PA agree with this?

3 years for Granderson, and 5 for Elsbury.

3 years of Granderson for 8-10 million is not a break the bank deal the O's wouldn't be interested in.

The Orioles have not made big free agent deals in the past not because they couldn't afford it. It was because it didn't make any sense to try to pretty up an ugly pig. The O's were not good enough to win 3-5 years ago even if we signed a top free agent. Now it's a little different.

Isn't his fielding supposed to be subpar?
Have you seen any indication that Henry could play a good LF, steal 30 bases and hit .740 OPS? I haven't yet.

I have posted the article more than once that quoted his AA manager, Gary Kendall, who said he played a solid RF. I don't know about LF but I don't know why people would assume his fielding is subpar.

But that's my point, what LF are they willing to give that to, who would be willing to accept that, and is any better than Nate? Marlon Byrd?

Maybe I should have said "2/$10 m or more" in my response but I think it was clear that was implied. To rephrase, just because the organization does not see Nate as being worth 2/$10 m does not mean they aren't willing to pay another left fielder 2/$10 m, 2/$20, 3/$36 or whatever it might be. You are the one who is trying to spin what Roch said into "the O's won't go higher than 2/$10 m for a left fielder" when that wasn't said or even implied anywhere.

Maybe I should have said "2/$10 m or more" in my response but I think it was clear that was implied. To rephrase, just because the organization does not see Nate as being worth 2/$10 m does not mean they aren't willing to pay another left fielder 2/$10 m, 2/$20, 3/$36 or whatever it might be. You are the one who is trying to spin what Roch said into "the O's won't go higher than 2/$10 m for a left fielder" when that wasn't said or even implied anywhere.
I'm not trying to spin anything. I am assuming a 100M ceiling until I hear differently from DD. Hope I will. But at 100 M we would have about 12 M to spend this winter. What LF is a better bargain than Nate at 2/10M? As I see it Marlon Byrd and David Murphy are the only two LF you could get for less than 2/10M, unless you like Sizemore, Bay or Pierre. Actually Murphy/Byrd platoon might not be a bad idea.

I have no problem without Hammel or McLouth. Hammel is injured all the time and inconsistent. He might make a decent reliever but he figures to get more money being a starter. We need more production out of our corner outfielders. We are stuck with Markakis so it makes sense to improve left field. Feldman was decent at times. We need starters so I guess he could be an option.

I have posted the article more than once that quoted his AA manager, Gary Kendall, who said he played a solid RF. I don't know about LF but I don't know why people would assume his fielding is subpar.

There were reports that he was still rough around the edges. That his assimilation into the professional side of the game was not complete.

Defense was specifically mentioned.

My guess is the tools are sufficient but his actual game needs fine tuning.

I have no problem without Hammel or McLouth. Hammel is injured all the time and inconsistent. He might make a decent reliever but he figures to get more money being a starter. We need more production out of our corner outfielders. We are stuck with Markakis so it makes sense to improve left field. Feldman was decent at times. We need starters so I guess he could be an option.

I have no problem with letting McLouth go unless they replace him with someone who is worse because he's cheaper. Jason Bay, Juan Pierre anyone?

McLouth is a decent option but his defense is way over rated. He has a noodle for an arm and he has a knack for running real close to the ball and looks like he will make the play........then just doesnt get it done. Honestly I am not that impressed with his defense.

Urrita might not be ready but maybe Valencia can pull of LF?

I'm not trying to spin anything. I am assuming a 100M ceiling until I hear differently from DD. Hope I will. But at 100 M we would have about 12 M to spend this winter. What LF is a better bargain than Nate at 2/10M? As I see it Marlon Byrd and David Murphy are the only two LF you could get for less than 2/10M, unless you like Sizemore, Bay or Pierre. Actually Murphy/Byrd platoon might not be a bad idea.

I think we touched 100 mil this year, and you could expect as much as a 7 percent increase for next season.

Archived