How would you feel if Cal Ripken managed another MLB team?

AlbionHero

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really couldn't care less. If he turned down the O's job to go somewhere else, I'd be pretty upset. But with the O's job filled, I really don't care. I suppose I'd be irritated if he managed a team in the AL East, especially NY or Boston. I'd be fine if he managed the Nats, though I know some people here can't stand them.

This is basically where I am. I loved Cal and loved watching him play. I've met him several times before and after he retired. I had my reception at his stadium. But the longer he is out of active playing, the further he seems to get away from the Orioles. I'd be happy for him if he got a Manager job, and I'd wish him well, but that's about as much as I'd think about it. If it was a National League team, I may consider following that team a little closer, but I wouldn't really care one way or another if Cal managed another team.

I don't really care. If he managed the MFY or Boston, then I would hate him while he was manager, but that's just the reality of my feelings for those teams. But I also think there is no way he will ever manage a team like the Yankees or Red Sox and a very low probability that he ever manages a ML team. If I was an owner or GM I certainly wouldn't hire Cal until he got some relevant experience and I just don't see Cal managing in A ball or something similar and I don't see him being hired as a bench coach because he would be viewed as a manager in waiting by the media and would be a big distraction.

I don't really care. If he managed the MFY or Boston, then I would hate him while he was manager, but that's just the reality of my feelings for those teams. But I also think there is no way he will ever manage a team like the Yankees or Red Sox and a very low probability that he ever manages a ML team. If I was an owner or GM I certainly wouldn't hire Cal until he got some relevant experience and I just don't see Cal managing in A ball or something similar and I don't see him being hired as a bench coach because he would be viewed as a manager in waiting by the media and would be a big distraction.

Nolan Ryan was able to make the transition from ball field to management.

Cal was my sports hero growing up. If he managed elsewhere, especially the MFY or the Sox, it would definitely be a hard pill to swallow. But who knows, maybe that would lead to a position with the Orioles once the time is right.

As far as the animosity goes, I think the comments last year were more Cal being a crappy booth broadcaster than him being the Benedict Arnold some of you make him out to be. Come on, it's Cal. The man spent his entire life in this organization; I highly doubt he purposefully meant to piss in anybody's Wheaties.

It would be great and I would be happy for him. We have Buck. We have a great manager, a known quantity. As much as we all love Cal we have no idea how good he would be.

If he ends up somewhere else, even DC, great for him.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sorry but his comment about someone being better than Brooks has been blown

way out proportion. It is like he insulted every O's fans mother and grandmother.

He didnt insult you personally so why be upset? I have been an O's fan longer

than you have been alive and what he said didnt upset me at all. It was or is his

opinion and why he should not be allowed to have that opinion without being

thought of as a traitor is beyond me. I like Brooks. He is a super nice man. He is

among the few of the nicest former players I have met. But to me it is like some

folks like Chevy and others Ford. Both are good. I am sorry but I just dont see or

feel insulted because Cal thinks someone else is better than Brooks.

Where to begin. First off, this it the first time that I have ever commented on this subject. Ever. So why you chose to single me out and, to boot, attach your own meanings to my words is beyond me. To me, Cal's comment about who is a better 3B means little and neither angered nor surprised me. Secondly, my comment was an observation, not an personal expression. I thought that was obvious. In case you haven't noticed, there are fans who are still upset about what he said and I think it's fair to say that he has alienated them. When any public figure makes a statement that alienates much of his fan base, he has embarrassed himself whether or not some agree. Third, Cal himself has said that his comments were an attempt to sound impartial, and not an opinion. Fourth, I couldn't give a rat's ass how old you are.

There are few things in life I care less about than Cal Ripken managing another team in baseball. I don't even think he'd make a good one, so whatever.

I agree with this. I suppose I could care less - if Demper or Dennis Martinez, or any number of folks managed but Cal is not high on my low list....even though he was once my favorite player and he was born on my birthday. I enjoy his take on the TBS games though.

No big deal. Personally I would never want to see Cal back with the O's in any type of managerial capacity. Manager positions are too volatile and that would be a sad day if the O's ever had to replace him. If he were to own the team that'd be a different story. Also, he's a baseball hero, not just an Orioles legend. The game is better with him involved anywhere.

How would you feel if Cal Ripken managed another MLB team? Much better than I would if he were managing the O's. Firstly I don't think he has the temperment to be an effective manager. Secondly the "sorry Brooksie" remark was eblematic of who Cal is, and always was, as Tony says, Corporate Cal, self promoter. Can respect his acheavements but can't feel all warm and fuzzy about him.

Much better than I would if he were managing the O's.

Bingo. How many Hall of Fame players have become enduring and effective managers? It would be terrible to have him manage the O's for a few mediocre seasons, and then be fired. Let him manage the Marlins, then no one will notice the outcome.

He's my all-time favorite Orioles player, for many reasons, and like many others have said here, I don't know if he has the patience and focus to be an effective field manager.

Archived