How would you feel if Cal Ripken managed another MLB team?

AlbionHero

Yeah but he fought hard to keep that franchise from coming here. I don't think he's all that happy about their success, and the fans they draw away from the O's. The possibility of Cal drawing even more fans away might not please him either.

I don't think he gives a rip about their success or Cal. As long as we keep winning he can take care of that. What he cares about is the bottom line. The two aren't mutually exclusive though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think he gives a rip about their success or Cal. As long as we keep winning he can take care of that. What he cares about is the bottom line. The two aren't mutually exclusive though.
Angelos did not want the Gnats in DC. He would be making a lot more money if they weren't there.

I would be upset if the Nationals, or any other team, hired Buck away from us. Other than that, I really don't care who other teams hire as their manager. Cal Ripken can go after any job he wants, and, unless it was my job that he was going after, it wouldn't bother me at all. Just like managing the Senators didn't reduce Ted Williams stature as an all-time great Red Sox player, for Cal to manage a team other than the Orioles wouldn't change my memories of him as a player.

The Nationals probably won’t wait until long after the World Series ends to make a hire and they have not reached out to Ripken about their managerial opening.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2013/10/21/nats-manager-search-ripken-appears-unrealistic-effects-of-leylands-departure/

Lots of guys out there to choose from with better qualifications.

Let him manage whatever he wants. I won't care, and I won't root for whatever he manages. The O's are garbage for 15 years until they finally made the playoffs and Cal is nowhere to be seen, except kissing Yankee ass. Respect gone, sorry.

20+ years of playing his ass off for the Orioles vs. Being a bad announcer.

Guess which one I care about more.

Here's the quote from the DBacks CEO:

Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall said Gibson doesn't want to leave Arizona – and that the club doesn't want him to go, either.

"I had a conversation with him first thing this morning," Hall said. "My first inclination was to say I would not grant permission (for the Tigers to interview Gibson) because we want him to stay here. But I asked him, 'If that's what you desire, to go interview, that's different.' But he said he wants to stay here. That's all we needed to hear. He's not going anywhere."

And that's despite Gibson being signed only through next season. The club held options for the 2015 and 2016 seasons but did not exercise them, Hall said.

"He's committed; he's a loyal guy," Hall said. "He's under contract. He likes it here. Of course, I think he would have liked his options exercised, but he also knows he could be here the next 20 years. That doesn't mean that he's not going to be here after next year because we didn't exercise those next two years. He has enough confidence in himself to know that he could still get extended or still get renewed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/10/21/kirk-gibson-staying-with-arizona-diamondbacks/3145709/

Archived