Richmond stadium available in 2009

dodgetoyoguy

I just read that the Atlanta Braves are moving their AAA team located in Richmond Va to Georgia for the 2009 season . HMMM .... Its 150 miles approxiamately from Baltimore to Richmond. I have been to the Diamond in Richmond several times and yes the stadium needs $$$$ for an upgrade and repairs. Think the O's might want to move a team there? The Delmarva teams league is too far away i guess. Bowie has a very nice stadium. How about the team in Bluefield?

A baseball team is going to be there soon, that much everyone seems certain of. But the owner of an existing minor league team would have to move their franchise there, not the parent club, since few parent clubs own their minor league affiliates.

The O's do own Bluefield, but won't move an Appy League team 5-hours away from all the other teams in the league, which are otherwise just a few hours away from each other, at the most. And the rest of the O's teams are within a few hours drive in Maryland. So no, it ain't going to happen.

Perhaps one thing to watch though is whether the Columbus (OH) Clippers, which are said to have the worst AAA stadium in the IL, would move there, since they're linked up with the Nats right now.

Perhaps one thing to watch though is whether the Columbus (OH) Clippers, which are said to have the worst AAA stadium in the IL, would move there, since they're linked up with the Nats right now.

Columbus has a new ballpark under construction, set to open for 2009.

I don't know if any other International League clubs could move anytime soon. I wonder if Richmond would "settle" for AA or A ball.

A baseball team is going to be there soon, that much everyone seems certain of. But the owner of an existing minor league team would have to move their franchise there, not the parent club, since few parent clubs own their minor league affiliates.

The O's do own Bluefield, but won't move an Appy League team 5-hours away from all the other teams in the league, which are otherwise just a few hours away from each other, at the most. And the rest of the O's teams are within a few hours drive in Maryland. So no, it ain't going to happen.

Perhaps one thing to watch though is whether the Columbus (OH) Clippers, which are said to have the worst AAA stadium in the IL, would move there, since they're linked up with the Nats right now.[/quote]

I wouldn't put The Diamond above the Clippers stadium too quickly. It probably has the worst field to play on in the IL. Terrible drainage problems in the outfield, last season they had to play something like 5 games away from the stadium because the field was flooded.

I don't think there is another AAA team that has any desire to move right now.

The Richmond paper points out that Richmond would be the Northern-most city in the Southern League and the Southern-most city in the Eastern League, so it might not be terribly attractive to the AA leagues either.

By all indications I've heard, the stadium in Richmond is a dump. For one thing, it's modeled after Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. It's huge. It's cavernous. The renovations slated to occur in 2004 never materialized. In fact, part of the roof fell into the stands in 2004. Meanwhile, the city of Richmond is extremely reluctant to invest any more money in fixing up the stadium.

By all indications I've heard, the stadium in Richmond is a dump. For one thing, it's modeled after Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. It's huge. It's cavernous. The renovations slated to occur in 2004 never materialized. In fact, part of the roof fell into the stands in 2004. Meanwhile, the city of Richmond is extremely reluctant to invest any more money in fixing up the stadium.

Picture Fulton Cnty Stadium, except it suddenly stops at first and third base.

I suppose there is some rule that dictates ownership can only have one team in each minor league level?

Your indications are right.

Archived