Granderson?

andrewrickli

We need to upgrade the OF, pitching, and DH position IMO.

For the OF I would look at Granderson. He is only 31, coming off an injury season, but in '11 and '12 he hit over 80 HR combined. Add his power speed and defense to our lineup that would help us a ton.

I don't like Cruz, as he will be 34 next year, and he is a roid user.

Beltran is gonna be 37 next year (see Derek Lee) we don't need that again.

Ellsbury and Choo are going to be 100M players, when we have one POTENTIALLY that we need to lock up in Davis.

So the question is, do you like Granderson in our lineup and what will he cost?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the OF I would look at Granderson. He is only 31, coming off an injury season, but in '11 and '12 he hit over 80 HR combined. Add his power speed and defense to our lineup that would help us a ton.

Ellsbury and Choo are going to be 100M players, when we have one POTENTIALLY that we need to lock up in Davis.

Probably in the close to 14 million per year range, and he wants to stay in New York.

Choo 100 M +

Ellsbury 5/60-75 M

Granderson 3/30 M

Beltran 2/20 M

Cruz 1/10 M

Or thereabouts.

I do like the idea of Granderson in our lineup, and even though he's a Yankee I've always been a fan of his.

He will probably never hit 40HR again, and he's been helped some by Yankee Stadium, but he seems to still have plenty of power and he also knows how to take a walk better than most of our lineup.

I'll say that I think that $10M per to Granderson will prove a better deal than $5M per to McLouth. But going past two years for Granderson is risky.

I don't really like what Granderson has become, an all-or-nothing type hitter with falling on base numbers. That obp is caving toward .300 and that's probably part of a general decline he's experiencing. I think he's basically Mark Reynolds.

...but he seems to still have plenty of power and he also knows how to take a walk better than most of our lineup.

Is that really much of a positive if he continues to hit .230? His OBP since the start of 2012 is .318. And his road OPS over the same period is about .730. I would be very wary.

I do like the idea of Granderson in our lineup, and even though he's a Yankee I've always been a fan of his.

He will probably never hit 40HR again, and he's been helped some by Yankee Stadium, but he seems to still have plenty of power and he also knows how to take a walk better than most of our lineup.

I'll say that I think that $10M per to Granderson will prove a better deal than $5M per to McLouth. But going past two years for Granderson is risky.

Where can I see home run spray or distribution charts--I really am curious as to see how much the Grandy-man has taken advantage of the RF porch there.

I think people are underestimating what Granderson will bring on the open market. But yes please. I would love Granderson in our lineup, and he would be a big upgrade. The topper for Grandy is that he is just a really, really good guy and would fit in great in the clubhouse. If he could be had for 3/36 I would jump all over that but I doubt that gets him.

I would rather have a platoon of Mcclouth and Rajai Davis for somewhere in the 8-9mm per year range. Carlos Beltran would be a great target for LF or DH but I think he's going to be out of our price range. I don't think STL brings him back. If we were to make an aggressive FA this off season I think it would be for Beltran/Abreu/Tanaka. But more than likely not happening.

Choo 100 M +

Ellsbury 5/60-75 M

Granderson 3/30 M

Beltran 2/20 M

Cruz 1/10 M

Or thereabouts.

I would be shocked if Ellsbury goes for less than Choo. Choo may have a higher overall OBP, but Ellsbury has better splits vs lefties, gets SBs, and plays a legitimate CF.

Nate was great at the price we had him. If he is going to take $5 million, then not so much. I agree, at that price point you might as well spend a little extra and at the very least get an everyday player. Granderson would fit that. I also like Corey Hart, although we would probably rather have him DH most of the time.

I would be shocked if Ellsbury goes for less than Choo. Choo may have a higher overall OBP, but Ellsbury has better splits vs lefties, gets SBs, and plays a legitimate CF.

Nate was great at the price we had him. If he is going to take $5 million, then not so much. I agree, at that price point you might as well spend a little extra and at the very least get an everyday player. Granderson would fit that. I also like Corey Hart, although we would probably rather have him DH most of the time.

Ellsbury made 9 M this year. He has a questionable history of injury. I doubt he gets any more than 15 M and 5 years. Probably less. I'm guessing they go with someone like Marlon Byrd or a Murphy/Pearce platoon. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Both those guys will only get 1 year deals.

I would rather have a platoon of Mcclouth and Rajai Davis for somewhere in the 8-9mm per year range. Carlos Beltran would be a great target for LF or DH but I think he's going to be out of our price range. I don't think STL brings him back. If we were to make an aggressive FA this off season I think it would be for Beltran/Abreu/Tanaka. But more than likely not happening.
Don't think they want to commit to anything more than a one year contract.

is this Peter Angelos' alter ego?

The tale of two seasons. McLouth was significantly worse in the 2nd half of the year. You get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of Ellsbury. He's still riding the success of the season he had a few years back. He'll never repeat the power he displayed that year. Choo would be my choice, if they were willing to open up their wallet. It's just ashame we're stuck with a meandering Markakis in RF. We could really use a power bat at that position.

Archived