Any interest in Tim Hudson?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 starts in 2012. 21 in 2013. That may be fine for a number 4 or 5, but do you want to pay him a lot of money and rely on him?

And he still pitched 180 innings in those 28 starts in 2012. He had a freak ankle injury in 2013. Wasn't an arm injury. Hudson has had 200+ innings 8 times. Yes I would overpay on a 1-2 year deal to get him.

And he still pitched 180 innings in those 28 starts in 2012. He had a freak ankle injury in 2013. Wasn't an arm injury. Hudson has had 200+ innings 8 times. Yes I would overpay on a 1-2 year deal to get him.

That's fair, but I would caution that for any athlete his age, there are no freak injuries. They should be expected.

That's fair, but I would caution that for any athlete his age, there are no freak injuries. They should be expected.

Maybe. But a runner stepping on a pitchers ankle while he is covering first falls under freak injury imo. That has nothing to do with age.

Because he gets over to first base as quickly as he ever did?

Eric Young Jr is a fast runner that's hustling. Hudson just caught too much of the bag with his foot and Young stepped on the back of the ankle. Call it freakish or had luck but that play rarely happens. Either way, I'll take my chances with 28 starts from Hudson over guys like Feldman or Hamel.

Hudson made 9 M last year. I doubt he makes more. But I wouldn't pay him 15 M.

And I wouldn't give him 2 years. Maybe a club option for the second year.

Definitely wouldn't pay 15. That's silly.

I'd give him 1/10. Maybe have incentives paying 1-2M each for 150 and 200 IP.

Definitely wouldn't pay 15. That's silly.

I'd give him 1/10. Maybe have incentives paying 1-2M each for 150 and 200 IP.

I wouldn't and don't think it take 15 either. I was just saying how much I'd rather have just one year of Hudson over two of Feldmen.

Honestly, I'd offer 1/10 plus incentives and a vesting option.

I'm not a huge fan of an entire rotation of guys who're likely to put up 4.00-5.00 ERAs. If Hudson threw to a 3.97 in Atlanta I have to think that's more like a 4.50 in OPACY. And who knows what his seemingly innocuous injury will do to his mechanics and ground ball rate? We've seen minor knocks derail the careers of guys like Bergesen and Britton.

And I'm not nearly as enamored with GB rates as many. I know you won't find Koufaxes and Ryans in the K-mart 2nds bin we shop in, but I'd much rather have a K an inning from a flyball pitcher than a 55% GB rate with 6 K/9.

• 1 month later...

Archived