Any interest in Tim Hudson?

Dark Helmet

"I've heard that the Orioles are intrigued by Hudson, 38, and have discussed him internally. He's viewed as the type of pitcher that they're looking for, someone with a winning background who could give them innings."

I read the above in Roch's MASN notes and almost barfed! IMO, this kind of thinking by the Orioles is part of the problem, not part of a solution. A 38 year old Tim Hudson would be a .500 pitcher, at best, and may not be an innings eater anymore. Because of the injury, he delivered only 131 innings last year, and 176 the year before. In pitching years, he is OLD, coming off a significant injury, and IMO, would be a huge gamble the Orioles can't afford to take.

The Orioles already have three such pitchers available - Bud Norris, who is signed through next year, plus pending FA's Scott Feldman and a now healthy Jason Hammel. All of three of them together would likely cost millions less than Tim Hudson.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not a huge fan of an entire rotation of guys who're likely to put up 4.00-5.00 ERAs. If Hudson threw to a 3.97 in Atlanta I have to think that's more like a 4.50 in OPACY. And who knows what his seemingly innocuous injury will do to his mechanics and ground ball rate? We've seen minor knocks derail the careers of guys like Bergesen and Britton.

And I'm not nearly as enamored with GB rates as many. I know you won't find Koufaxes and Ryans in the K-mart 2nds bin we shop in, but I'd much rather have a K an inning from a flyball pitcher than a 55% GB rate with 6 K/9.

Well, I don't know that either of the pitchers you describe would actually be available to us, but I think I'd take Jordan Zimmermann (6.79 K/9, 47.9 GB%) over Ubaldo Jimenez (9.56 k/9, 43.9 GB%). If there were a SP with a 6 K/9 and a 55% GB rate out there, I sure would like to see us go after him. Kuroda (6.71, 46.6) and Arroyo 5.52, 44.4) are about as close as it gets in free agency right now, and they are both well below 55% GB rate. Rick Porcello ( 7.22, 55.3 in 2013 and 5.45, 52.8 career) intrigues me and I read where he may be available from the Tigers. Obviously, the park a team plays in enters into these decisions, and ground ball pitchers are certainly attractive at OPACY, especially with the Orioles' strong infield defense.

It's easy to cherry pick a few pitchers and hitters who had that one last good season left in them. The next year, Jimmy Key got injured, finished the year in the BP, and then was finished period.

My problem with signing Hudson is that he will want big bucks, and a multi-year deal. I'd rather give some of that money to Feldman or Hammel.

He's called Atlanta home for 9 seasons. He made $9M last year and his season was over in July with the broken right ankle; his landing foot. He'll be 39 this summer. Atlanta didn't make him a QO but they can sign him for something above the $9M if they're certain he's healed.

He's called Atlanta home for 9 seasons. He made $9M last year and his season was over in July with the broken right ankle; his landing foot. He'll be 39 this summer. Atlanta didn't make him a QO but they can sign him for something above the $9M if they're certain he's healed.

Small point: his right foot is not his landing foot. He is a RHP. Agree with everything else you said.

I wouldn't mind having Hudson as a 5th starter as long as he is healthy. We need pitching. Plus the knowledge he could pass on to the younger guys. Kuroda is a year older and i'd love to have him if it didn't cost a pick and depending on the round of the pick it probably would be worth it

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 13s

Source: #SFGiants, Tim Hudson close on two-year, $23 million contract. Still language to be resolved. First reported @JohnAllenKCNBC

That's a deal i would love the orioles to make.

Archived