Trade Target: Billy Butler, DH

andrewrickli

In a vacuum I would make the trade - the Orioles need a hitter who gets on base to complement the strong collection of home run hitters.

That said, Schoop is essentially the only solid position prospect in the system. Because the Orioles do a horrific job of drafting and developing positional talent, they should not trade Schoop right now.

We just drafted Chance Sisco and Josh Hart, two top prospects at least initially and Michael Ohlman is looking awesome. I think we might have someone special in Ohlman.

Ohlman is the same kid who flipped his car one morning during ST but was ok.

I think his point was the two go hand in hand and our developing of drafted players doesn't have the best track record.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KC might have some interest in Danny-V as a more cost-effective alternative, and Butler would make him expendable. Maybe Valencia with your "B-level pitcher." I would much rather give up Valencia than our future 2B.

Valencia has little value because he is a sub-replacement hitter against 2/3rds of all pitchers, and he is not a good fielder. He is not in the same ballpark as Schoop in overall worth.

In a vacuum I would make the trade - the Orioles need a hitter who gets on base to complement the strong collection of home run hitters.

That said, Schoop is essentially the only solid position prospect in the system. Because the Orioles do a horrific job of drafting and developing positional talent, they should not trade Schoop right now.

Have been terrible. Have been. I don't think you can conclude that the current organization is terrible at acquiring and developing talent.

Sure. Let's put 2 of the 3-5 slowest runners in baseball in one lineup. We didn't strand nearly enough baserunners this year.

#clogemup

Getting on base >>>>>>>>>>> running slowly. A team of nine Billy Butlers would absolutely crush a team of nine Corey Pattersons, at least in terms of scoring runs.

Valencia has little value because he is a sub-replacement hitter against 2/3rds of all pitchers, and he is not a good fielder. He is not in the same ballpark as Schoop in overall worth.

I agree with you, that is why Valencia is the guy I would want to move in a deal for BB. I would never claim that Valencia is as good as Butler, but he would be about $7.5 million cheaper, so it is possible they could be interested.

I do not want to trade Schoop because Schoop for five years under team control is more valuable than BB for $8 million.

I agree with you, that is why Valencia is the guy I would want to move in a deal for BB. I would never claim that Valencia is as good as Butler, but he would be about $7.5 million cheaper, so it is possible they could be interested.

I do not want to trade Schoop because Schoop for five years under team control is more valuable than BB for $8 million.

KC is a contending team now. And Butler is a fan favorite. They aren't giving up offense to save 7 M. And if they did, it wouldn't be for Valencia, he is replacement level at best. The only player they would be interested besides SP, which we can't afford to give up, is Schoop. But I certainly wouldn't trade him for a DH.

Ahh, the annual, ridiculous, we trade a pile of scrap for Billy Butler posts. It just would not be an off season without it. It would take Schoop plus, which I would not do with only one year left on Billy's contract. But we for damn sure will not get him for the likes of Danny Valencia. KC is as much in the hunt as we are, and they are not a good trade partner for us anymore. They would have no interest in Weiters, Hardy or Jim Johnson. They are set at Catcher, SS and closer. Lets move on.

KC might have some interest in Danny-V as a more cost-effective alternative, and Butler would make him expendable. Maybe Valencia with your "B-level pitcher." I would much rather give up Valencia than our future 2B.

LOL AT our fan base. Danny plus a B level for Butler really KC would hang up so fast.

Absolutely not. Schoop has superstar upside, is a solid prospect aside from that, and is MLB ready. Butler would add little to an already-good offense, and is a FA in one year.

Not to mention, would KC really plan to start a prospect who may/may not be ready at 2B? They're basically all-in on the next season or two.

You provide a lot of thoughtful commentary and information here. I am a little bit surprised though that you feel Schoop has superstar upside. I don't have the information at my disposal and don't have the inclination to search for it...but BA never ranked Schoop any higher than in the 80s as a prospect, right? He's never really destroyed any minor league pitching at any level he's played at. I think he still has a bit to prove.

You provide a lot of thoughtful commentary and information here. I am a little bit surprised though that you feel Schoop has superstar upside. I don't have the information at my disposal and don't have the inclination to search for it...but BA never ranked Schoop any higher than in the 80s as a prospect, right? He's never really destroyed any minor league pitching at any level he's played at. I think he still has a bit to prove.

Low-likelihood, but the upside is there. I made a thread about it: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/136936-Hopeful-Jonathan-Schoop-Comparisons

Billy is the King of the DP.

If you look at the top 25 in single-season GIDP totals, you get 8 HOFers and about 7 more very good/excellent players.

Pretty much everyone in the top 25 in career GIDPs at least has a decent HOF argument.

The way you hit into a lot of DPs is bat a lot in the middle of a good team's batting order whilst hitting the dog snot out of the ball. That usually leads to some pretty good results, and also some GIDPs.

Ahh, the annual, ridiculous, we trade a pile of scrap for Billy Butler posts. It just would not be an off season without it. It would take Schoop plus, which I would not do with only one year left on Billy's contract. But we for damn sure will not get him for the likes of Danny Valencia. KC is as much in the hunt as we are, and they are not a good trade partner for us anymore. They would have no interest in Weiters, Hardy or Jim Johnson. They are set at Catcher, SS and closer. Lets move on.

Every year.

The trade would be easier to pull off if we could negotiate with disgruntled Royals fans instead of their actual GM. I'm sure there is a core of the fanbase that's really bitter that Butler hasn't become David Ortiz or Hal McRae or Harold Baines and just wants to be rid of him.

The trade would be easier to pull off if we could negotiate with disgruntled Royals fans instead of their actual GM. I'm sure there is a core of the fanbase that's really bitter that Butler hasn't become David Ortiz or Hal McRae or Harold Baines and just wants to be rid of him.

If this article is accurate, then you are spot on with your assessment.

http://kansascityfandom.com/2013/08/24/billy-butler-give-credit-where-credit-is-due/

Read that article closely. Billy Butler did not have a great year by his standards, but he is clearly one of the AL's very best RH hitters. I live a couple hours outside of Kansas City, and I would love to have Billy Butler hitting third in our lineup. But there is no chance that we will pick him up for scraps. In fact, now that the Royals are as serious as we are about contending, there is no way we can trade for him at all.

Archived