Trade Target: Billy Butler, DH

andrewrickli

The Royals are in a unique situation this year. They are now competitive but reports have said their payroll will not increase significantly. They have 2 key contributors that are free agents in Santana any Chen. They also have about 10M in salary increases for contracted players, and over a dozen arbitration eligible players.

To make improvements a guy like Butler could easily be on his way out. At this point the likes of Gordon, Perez, and Hosmer have surpassed him in terms of long term core guys.

I could see a deal centered around Bud Norris getting the conversation started.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Royals are in a unique situation this year. They are now competitive but reports have said their payroll will not increase significantly. They have 2 key contributors that are free agents in Santana any Chen. They also have about 10M in salary increases for contracted players, and over a dozen arbitration eligible players.

To make improvements a guy like Butler could easily be on his way out. At this point the likes of Gordon, Perez, and Hosmer have surpassed him in terms of long term core guys.

I could see a deal centered around Bud Norris could get the conversation going.

A competitive team that reports say will not have a significant increase in payroll with a large number of arbitration eligible players.

Doesn't sound that unique.

Kendry morales agent says he will decline the Seattle qualifying offer of 15 million. All he would cost is the number 17 pick and a boatload of money for too long. I really think these types of DH deals are just a attempt to find David Ortiz production. And that is not happening.

Kendry morales agent says he will decline the Seattle qualifying offer of 15 million. All he would cost is the number 17 pick and a boatload of money for too long. I really think these types of DH deals are just a attempt to find David Ortiz production. And that is not happening.

Beltran's production and someone who could play defense occasionally would suffice.

I would like Butler on a one-year deal but not for Schoop. At the end of the day, Butler is a DH and that should severely limit his value. His WAR this past year was just 1.5. Yes, I think he's likely better than that next year, but I doubt he's more than a 3 WAR player. Schoop would be overpaying, IMO.

.300/.375/.475 seems to be about what we should expect from him this year (Steamer projections)

I'd float Christian Walker, Valencia, Flaherty, and/or Britton and see how much they're looking for.

I think he'd fit very nicely in our lineup next year. Put him 3rd ahead of Davis and drop Jones to 5th.

I would FAR prefer to obtain Beltran.

Why's that? Beltran costs a 1st round pick and ~$12 M probably. Plus he's 37. That power is going to start dropping off.

Butler could be had for a decent package and is younger and cheaper by $4M this year. Plus, he provides ~25 more points of OBP than Beltran would at the expense of some power.

Archived