Early Guesses at 2014 Rosters

Oldorioles

Nit picking, but I'd have Gausman in the Norfolk rotation to start the season for two reasons. First, that's what I would do. Second, that's what I think the O's want to do. Unless he's lights out in spring training and all of Norris, Britton, Johnson, Matusz, Hunter and anyone else we sign before the start of the seaons sucks, I think they want him to get more AAA time.

I think Buck sort of hinted at putting McFarland in the rotation, which would push Gausman into the pen or back into AAA.

Valencia will play in Baltimore starting for Manny, DHing or on the bench. He had such a hot end to the year last year, he doesn't deserve a demotion. He certainly doesn't know how to take a walk though.

• 1 month later...

I thought it might be time for an update on my guesses. there are several updates and changes since the last update:

BALTIMORE....NORFOLK.......BOWIE.....FREDERICK.... .DELMARVA.....ABERDEEN

C- Wieters.........Monell........Ohlman....Sawyer..........Sisco...........A. Murphy

1B- C. Davis.......Marrero........Walker.....Balog............Mancini.........Gassaway

2B- Flaherty........J. Schoop....B. Britton....Pena....... .......Boss..............Kemp

SS- Hardy...........De Jesus.....Rosa.........Marin.............Viele.............Breen

3B- Machado......Phelps.......Bond.......Esposito..........Hutter.............Veloz

RF- Markakis.......Berry.........Alvarez.....Simpson......Yastrzemski.......M. Hernandez

CF- Jones..........Weeks......Bermudez....Mummey.......Bernadina...........Hart

LF- Lough..........Paul.........Kang.........Ruettiger.........Bierfeldt.........Lartiguez

DH- Urrutia......Joseph.....Chavez........Nathans..........Lorenzo...........???

BMI- Casilla........Gonzalez........S. Schoop....Baker... .......K. Richards..........????

BCI- Pearce..........Savastano....Mosby.....Kneeland......Caronia........Russell

BOF- D. Young......Borbon........G. Davis.....Herbst.........Vega............Kimmel

BC - Clevenger.....Ward.......Freitas.......Chavez.......Wynns..............Weems

SP - Tillman.........McFarland.....Wilson........Wager..... .....Kline..................Urban

SP - Gonzlaez......Additon...E. Rodriguez....Parry.........Harvey.............Crichton

SP - Chen...........S. Johnson...Howard......Taylor.......Brault................Tarpley

SP - Norris..........Wright.......Davies......Rennie........Vader.................Keller

SP - Gausman....Hendriks....Berry.........Bridwell.......Horacek..............???

RP - O'Day.........C. Jones.......Petrini.....Chalas.......Torres..............Rheault

RP - De La Cruz...Belfiore..Schrader...Price... ......Guzman...........Joseph

RP - Matusz.......Alderson.......Gurka.......Marino.....Bill................Cunningham

RP - Britton.......Prado..........Gamboa......Rutledge....Santana.........Cortright

RP - Stinson.....Brach...........Bischoff......Givens.....Hart...............Kellogg

RP - Webb.........Huntzinger....Tolliver....Hobgood..Severino...Bray/Scheurs/Isenia

CL - Hunter..........Drake........Fowler.......Beck........Yacabonis.........Delgado

DL/Suspended:

Patton.............................D. Bundy...............................

Reimold............................B. Bundy................................

Cuts/Losses:

- Peguero.......Vizcaino......Pettit........Escat..........Capellan...........Rivera

- Escalona........Loomis.......Beaulac......Z. Clark......Blackmar.........Figuereo

- Almanzar........Aceves....................J. Rodriguez...Upperman........Richardson

- ..................Castillo......................Beal...........Jacob...........Louicio

- .................Laffey........................Webb.....................T. Murphy

- .................................................Starr...........................Rust

- .................................................Narron..........................Graham

- .............................................................................Castagnini

....................................................................................Kalush

The usual nitpicks. I doubt the O's have given up on Glynn Davis just yet. He'll be starting at either Bowie or Frederick.

Also, you have Tarpley starting at Aberdeen. College pitcher. 2nd rounder. I think he's a lock to start at Delmarva.

You also have Nick Balog (24 years old and a .684 OPS) at 1B for Frederick and Jason Esposito (.562 OPS at Frederick/ 2 terrible years in a row/) at 1B and 3B respectively for Frederick. Esposito was a 2nd round pick so that's about the only thing he has going for him. Gotta think that Michael Mosby (24 yo) who had an .843 OPS in 115 AB's figures at one of those spots.

Good stuff.

I always appreciate your comments, they're well thought out every time.

I think you're right about Tarpley. He deserves a slot at Delmarva. How do you create the room? DD has already said Brault and Horacek will start there (which I agree with). Vader certainly deserves a promotion. Harvey would seem to be a natural fit too. That leaves Kline. I guess you could say he might be starting at Frederick, but given his numbers and injury last year I would think they would want him to start off at Delmarva too. In any event, I would prefer to have Tarpley start out at Delmarva as well.

I can't stand Esposito, but they keep on playing him and I don't think that will change. Mosby did very well last year at frederick, that's part of why I have him promoted to Bowie this year. In fact, Mosby could well be the starting 3B at Bowie (I have Bond there, but he's really more of a 2B and I think I might prefer Mosby anyway).

Great work, OldOrioles.

Where do you guys see Heim and, more importantly, Seabrooke starting next year? Heim I assume will be on a short season club.

Heim struggled mightily in the GCL last year, but remember that he was one of the youngest players there. I think they'll put him back there and let him gain some confidence. If he responds favorably, he'll be up to Aberdeen before too long.

Seabrooke is very intriguing, I really like him. He only pitched in three games last year. He could very well start in Aberdeen's rotation this season, I should probably add him as they typically use six starters there.

I think Savastano or Britton or even Rosa plays 3B for Bowie. I'm guessing Sharlon Schoop plays SS although you could be right about Rosa. Rosa was a SS but played mostly 2B and then OF last year. Remember that Delmarva probably goes with a 6 man rotation. I think Kline absolutely goes back to Delmarva and I assume they still have hopes for him as a starter. My guess at Delmarva's 6 man rotation.

1. Kline

2. Harvey

3. Tarpley

4. Rennie

5. Brault

6. Keller

I'm not sure what happens to Vader. I'm guessing that Horacek gets jumped to Frederick based on pitchability but that's a total guess. Maybe Vader gets a chance to do the same thing. I don't think either are "stuff" guys and not as highly regarded within the organization as the guys in the my Delmarva rotation. Where did DD say that both would start at Delmarva? Missed that. Kline to the bullpen is always a possibility. Many scouts thought he'd end up there. The Orioles didn't and I doubt they make that concession this early in his career.

He said it at the Delmarva Hot Stove banquet last week, I'll see if I can find a link. Having Horacek leapfrog to Frederick might make some sense. Kline is going to be very interesting to watch this year, maybe he does belong in the bullpen - although I agree with you that the O's will not concede that at this point.

Here's what I'm "hoping". The Orioles occasionally jump hitters from Aberdeen to Frederick (Markakis and Calbe Joseph being two examples). Mancini put up very good numbers and Yaztremski, solid numbers. Yaz is already 23 years old. Jumping them both to Frederick would open up 1B at Delmarva for Gassaway and make it easier for a guy like Hart to start there. Right now, I'm figuring Bernadina and Bierfeldt start in the Delmarva OF. Of course, Greg Lorenzo could repeat there as well. Frederick doesn't really have a prospect locked into 1B so Mancini would seem like a natural to make the jump.

Though I could see Hart beginning the year at Delmarva due to his draft pedigree, I think that may be too large of a jump for Gassaway. Every report pegs him as in incredibly raw but talented player and he could easily get lost in a full season assignment. The Orioles typically have only used Aberdeen as a destination for college draftees, but other orangizations have used it for high school draftees that needed extra time at the spring training complex the following year. 12014 would have been a great year for Bluefield given the many high school players taken in 2013.

The result of the recent draft can really go one of two ways. On one hand, the organization could use the opportunity to trim the fat on its minor league system and be very aggressive in promotions. Mancini, Yaztremski and others would start 2014 at a level higher than they typically would to open up roster spots at Delmarva. On the other side, the Orioles could keep some of their more raw players (Heim, Gassaway, Ayers) in Sarasota before sending them to Aberdeen or full season teams later in the year.

Archived