Orioles announce Manny Machado will have reconstructive surgery on knee. 4-6 month rehab time.

Greg

Anyone find it a little disconcerting that Manny had to (independent of Orioles??) seek out many opinions before he found a doctor that recommended surgery.

To me it was a no brainer that a knee that had been dislocated on two occasions would need to be surgically stabilized, but the O's seemed to want to go the rehab approach that I believe would have made re-injury very likely.

I'm glad Manny took care of this

per roch:

Head athletic trainer Richie Bancells noted during Machado's press conference on Sept. 24 that the third baseman could elect to have surgery and still be ready by opening day. The Orioles were going to reexamine the knee four weeks after an MRI that didn't reveal any damage to the ACL or MCL.

"That's why we're going to get him back and look at him in four weeks and try to get closer to making some decisions there," Bancells said last month. "It still allows us enough time to get Manny ready for the season and spring training. Don't forget that for Manny, that really means mid-March for a position player. It's kind of a drop-dead date."

I'm often leery of the Os medical staff but it looks like they are correctly handling this one.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just so we get this straight, ten days ago, Manny got a second opinion which agreed no surgery was required. The three R's - Rest, Rub some dirt on it, Rehab.

Now, even more doctors were consulted, and surgery is the answer.

Well, this is his second time with that knee. I think surgery is the better choice when it comes to not injuring it again. I think it was a good move, especially since the rehab time still isn't too long. Basically, what scott said. :D
This is good news. The injury was a reoccurrence. Who knows if it would happen over and over. Hopefully doc can tighten it up once and for all.

Why would it be disconcerting? Doesn't it make sense to get a variety of opinions and make a choice based on the best available evidence? Why do you think Manny had to go out on his own to get the surgical recommendation? How do you know it wasn't in coordination with the Orioles?

That is just him being him. He likes to knock the O's any chance he gets.

I don't think he will as a 3B. He wants to play SS. Obviously, they won't be moving him to SS for the 2014 season. Maybe they'll move him after next season, which will be the last before he's arb eligible. Will he sign a long term deal after 2015, only three years from free agency?

I think a big part of Manny is thrilled with the rave reviews he's received as a 3rd baseman and will consider staying at 3rd base if the Orioles request it. If he insists on moving to SS after 2014, goodbye Hardy. The Orioles have to do their very best to hold onto impact players, which most of us think MM is or will become shortly. And yes, the rumor is he is open to signing a long term deal with us right now. I think it was discussed here on the OH.

Why wait any longer than next off season? And if PGA and DD can't get the deal done before he's 26 years old, shame on them.

I have to wonder why after saying they would wait a month to decide whether surgery was needed, 10 days later Manny on his own seemingly decided, based on additional opinions, to get surgery. What is the trade off? Does rest insure a return to normal mobility, but an increased risk of re injury. Does surgery reduce risk of re injury but increase the risk of loss of mobility?

I can't think of many professional athletes who choose major surgery over just resting and rehabbing if they had that option. They try to avoid surgery at all costs, no one chooses to go under the knife if they don't have to.
http://nypost.com/2013/10/04/harvey-chooses-surgery-will-miss-2014-season/

http://cubs.scout.com/2/1148051.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4583332

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a4diz_0LqnIY

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4359817

Yup, never happens.

If he were to miss the first month of the season, could that possibly cut him off from the Super-Two cutoff? I don't know if I did the math correctly, but it would seem to me as if he'd be around 2 years, 20 days.

He got injured on the big league roster, he will be accruing major league service time as he recovers.

Archived