2013 N.L.C.S. (Dodgers vs. Cardinals)

OFFNY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was only 3 years-old at the time, but the turning point of the 1968 World Series was in Game Five when Lou Brock chose not to slide into home plate in the top of the 5th inning, and was tagged out by Bill Freehan, preventing the Cardinals from expanding on their 3-2 lead.

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2009/10/08/1968-world-series-moment-lou-brock-didnt-slide/

I wonder if that that bases-loaded nobody out and didn't score sequence in the top of the 1st inning winds up being the turning point of this 2013 N.L.C.S.

It remains to be seen, of course. The Cards are still very much in this game, and could close out the Dodgers today.

They need to start spelling his name correctly -- P-u-N-K.

Two sports radio hosts were at the game and clearly saw Gonzalez and Ellis both wave Puig to come in during the 9th inning and he ignored them. Then the ball was hit in front of him.

The guy is way too arrogant.

8 strong innings for Geinke in the series opener.

ZACK GREINKE O (N.L.C.S., vs. CARDINALS) O[GAME ONE]

IP:O 8

H:o. 4

R:O. 2

BB:. 1

SO:. 10

Pitches: 104 (68 Strikes, 36 Balls)

Another strong outing for Greinke, this time with his team back against the wall.

In 2 outings in this League Championship Series, he has walked only 2 batters in 15 innings. Greinke made the Cardinals earn the 3 runs that the got off of him in those 15 innings.

ZACK GREINKE O (N.L.C.S., vs. CARDINALS) O[GAME FIVE]

IP:O 7

H:o. 6

R:O. 2

BB:. 1

SO:. 4

Pitches: 104 (63 Strikes, 41 Balls)

I was only 3 years-old at the time, but the turning point of the 1968 World Series was in Game Five when Lou Brock chose not to slide into home plate in the top of the 5th inning, and was tagged out by Bill Freehan, preventing the Cardinals from expanding on their 3-2 lead.

http://blog.detroitathletic.com/2009/10/08/1968-world-series-moment-lou-brock-didnt-slide/

I wonder if that that bases-loaded nobody out and didn't score sequence in the top of the 1st inning winds up being the turning point of this 2013 N.L.C.S.

It remains to be seen, of course. The Cards are still very much in this game, and could close out the Dodgers today.

That was an interesting read. I have some Lou Brock baseball cards. The guy was a beast.

GAME SIX

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Carl Crawford - LF

Mark Ellis - 2B

Adrian Gonzalez - 1B

Yasiel Puig - RF

Andre Ethier - CF

Juan Uribe - 3B

A.J. Ellis - C

Nick Punto - SS

Clayton Kershaw - LHP (16-9, 1.83 ERA) *

* Led the Major Leagues in E.R.A.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Matt Carpenter - 2B

Carlos Beltran - RF

Matt Holliday - LF

Yadier Molina - C

David Freese - 3B

Matt Adams - 1B

Shane Robinson - CF

Pete Kozma - SS

Michael Wacha - RHP (4-1, 2.78 ERA)

[3-1, 2.83 ERA] O (STARTER) OOO [1-0, 2.53 ERA] O (RELIEVER)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

The rout is on.

And while I do hate the Cardinals I think I hate AGon and Puig more. Good riddance to bad rubbish. :new_wave:

I didn't like Gonzalez either until he came out and spoke after a game one night that I took my kids to with a friend. He along with Kershaw, AJ Ellis, Schumaker, and two of their coaches spoke to people and it changed my opinion of him.

Puig on the other hand....

Michael Wacha ...... Tweet, tweet, tweet.

Michael Wacha ...... Tweet, tweedle-lee-dee.

Go Michael Wacha, 'cause he's really gonna rock tonight ......Tweet, tweedle-lee-dee.

Michael Wacha: "I'm an ace."

Adam Wainwright: "Hey !!! You !!! Get off of my cloud. Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd."

Michael Wacha: "But Adam, we're on the same team. The more (pitching) aces, the better."

Adam Wainwright: "Oh, OK. Come on back, Michael. And while you're at it, tell Joe Kelly to come back, also."

First of all, I have a lot of respect for Clayton Kershaw. He earned the CYA this year. I think it's possible the Dodgers lost this game when Kershaw beat the Braves on short rest. I can't criticise Mattingly because knocking out the Braves was the most important thing at that time?

I don't have that kind of respect for Greinke, Hanley Ramirez, or Puig. They're all punks and Kershaw has more character than all 3 of them put together.

Wacha is amazing but I think Carlos Martinez may end up with both the CYA and a Gold Glove in his future.

I don't have any predictions for the World Series. It all depends on which pitching staff is deeper. It would sure be nice to have home field advantage. I still think that was Bud Selig's best idea.

First of all, I have a lot of respect for Clayton Kershaw. He earned the CYA this year. I think it's possible the Dodgers lost this game when Kershaw beat the Braves on short rest. I can't criticise Mattingly because knocking out the Braves was the most important thing at that time?

I don't have that kind of respect for Greinke, Hanley Ramirez, or Puig. They're all punks and Kershaw has more character than all 3 of them put together.

Wacha is amazing but I think Carlos Martinez may end up with both the CYA and a Gold Glove in his future.

I don't have any predictions for the World Series. It all depends on which pitching staff is deeper. It would sure be nice to have home field advantage. I still think that was Bud Selig's best idea.

I keep expecting the Cards' young pitchers to hit a wall pitching this late into the season.

It certainly hasn't happened so far.

Archived