New Summary of Os Nats MASN TV Rights

hoosiers

And Freddy Garcia, for that matter.

I don't put Jurjens or Garcia signings in the same category as Liriano. Both were minor league deals with no risk at all. Most fans knew they were done. I'm not saying they were poor signings. But neither had the upside of Liriano.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure 2/7 is high risk. If your not going to sign a legitimate TOR, then guys like Liriano are going to be the kind of guys you have to take chances on. Hudson and Halladay fall into that category this winter.

First off, Liriano signed at 2/13 - he broke his non-pitching arm and restructured the deal because of concerns about his recovery.

Secondly, Liriano was sporting ERA's over 5 the previous 2 seasons (after a sub-4 season in 2010 which could have easily been a post-surgery outlier)

Third, He benefited greatly from both the National League and PNC Park this year. He could have easily had a much different season with the O's.

Liriano wasn't a HUGE risk, but he was a risk.

Estimates a year ago were that Pete was reeling in about $50 million a year from the deal. Looks like that was low.

Come on apologists who claim we "can't afford" over $100 million payroll. Step right up. With the $25 million from MLB and what the King is pulling in from MASN in 2014, that covers it right there. Should we get into all the other revenue, soaring attendance, merchandise and associated money from concessions and such? Should we get into all the money from 2006-2013 that is probably about a half a BILLION or so that our fearless leader has pocketed?

Oh I forgot, it isn't going to change so we just have to deal with it and shouldn't DARE complain. Fall in line like the good little soldier fans we are supposed to be, getting ripped off year after year so Pete can put another billion in the bank. Just be quiet, don't rock the boat and try to spin it like the fanbase isn't getting treated like.....nevermind.

You all can continue to line his pockets, but I won't.

Frankly, I don't love your schtick but I agree and I think this is the perfect thread in which to point out Angelos' money-grubbing ways.

I don't ever expect to change the man, but I definitely think that threads like this put the polyanna legacy he wants to build in the right perspective.

I'm sure he wants to win and he wants to profit. I'm also sure he wants one much more than the other.

How did that work in 2013? DD went into 2013 relying heavily on Hamel repeating what his track record said he wasn't. He relied heavily on guys like Britton and Arrieta, who once again failed. The BP was the reason for 2012. The bp fell off in 2013, as did the Orioles record.

I didn't think that starter depth in the form of:

Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Hammel, Britton, Gausman, Arrieta, Bundy, Wada, Garcia, Hunter, Matusz and Jurrjens was THAT bad going into last year. I wanted one more guy, but in the absence of a stud pitcher, I was relatively happy with our depth. Really...a lot had to go wrong for our pitching to be as bad as it was last year (bullpen included). If one of those guys between Hammel and Jurrjens hits, we're a different team.

Frankly, I don't love your schtick but I agree and I think this is the perfect thread in which to point out Angelos' money-grubbing ways.

I don't ever expect to change the man, but I definitely think that threads like this put the polyanna legacy he wants to build in the right perspective.

I'm sure he wants to win and he wants to profit. I'm also sure he wants one much more than the other.

I didn't think that starter depth in the form of:

Tillman, Chen, Gonzalez, Hammel, Britton, Gausman, Arrieta, Bundy, Wada, Garcia, Hunter, Matusz and Jurrjens was THAT bad going into last year. I wanted one more guy, but in the absence of a stud pitcher, I was relatively happy with our depth. Really...a lot had to go wrong for our pitching to be as bad as it was last year (bullpen included). If one of those guys between Hammel and Jurrjens hits, we're a different team.

Pretty fair post.

FWIW, Angelos' firm is either run the same way as the Orioles or they are Broke. They can't even afford to replace the worn down/broken furniture in their offices.

Lol, you mean he's too busy lining his pockets to put some decent furniture in their offices.

When Clancy died I saw an article that said he made somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 million in profit from the Orioles. I don't know if that is correct, but that should tell you all you need to know about where the Oriole revenue is going.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/10/03/tom-clancy-made-230-million-profit-on-investment-in-baltimore-orioles/

First off, Liriano signed at 2/13 - he broke his non-pitching arm and restructured the deal because of concerns about his recovery.

Secondly, Liriano was sporting ERA's over 5 the previous 2 seasons (after a sub-4 season in 2010 which could have easily been a post-surgery outlier)

Third, He benefited greatly from both the National League and PNC Park this year. He could have easily had a much different season with the O's.

And he ultimately got 2/7, like I said. So you use two down years as a reason he's a risk, then say that could be due to post surgery recovery? That's why he was a good candidate to take a chance on. Low number of years and a possible return to form.

I never said Liriano would have been as good in Baltimore as he was in pittsburgh. My point was, he was a guy that could have helped and it wasnt going to take 5/60+ million to sign.

He was coming off down years, so he wasnt going to cost as much as the Grienkes and Sanchez'.

Liriano was signed for 1 year 1M dollars with an option for 6M in 2014 that vested if he remained healthy. He had incentives to push the deal to 3M dollars per Cot's. For 1M dollars, Liriano was about as low risk as you can get.

Lol, you mean he's too busy lining his pockets to put some decent furniture in their offices.

That's what I meant by he was running it like the Orioles. I could be, like the rumor mill around the Lawyer circle suggests, his firm is broke. That would put an extra strain on the Orioles as his investment.

In other words, most of that profit is on paper between the value of the Orioles and MASN.

Investment in the infrastructure of the RSN was thought to have come from the Orioles operating income.

Current value speculated at 600 million per the article you have quoted. several good nuggets there.

Investment in the infrastructure of the RSN was thought to have come from the Orioles operating income.

Current value speculated at 600 million per the article you have quoted. several good nuggets there.

Investment in MASN was kickstarted by MLB when they paid Angelos $75M for the Nats initial 10% share.

When Clancy died I saw an article that said he made somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 million in profit from the Orioles. I don't know if that is correct, but that should tell you all you need to know about where the Oriole revenue is going.

I saw that too and I know Clancy was in from day one. About a 1/4 share. $250 over 20 years ('93 - '13) is 12.5 per year. So the whole cadre of investors is making about $50 mill per year.

I don't know for sure but I assume Clancy was also in for the same share in MASN. So if they're all "only" making $50 mill a year, the budget is a lot tighter than most of us speculate.

Archived