New Summary of Os Nats MASN TV Rights

hoosiers

What does that have to do with MASN?

Hypothetically, let's say MASN distributes an additional $10 million to it's investors (which they have to report as income), and then those owners contribute that money to the Orioles to raise the value of the team. The Gnats would go crazy, because that would be MASN skimming money from them to give to the O's.

Who cares what the Nats think. Angelos is majority owner of MASN. He can put as much or in his case as little as he wants back into the Orioles.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hypothetically, let's say MASN distributes an additional $10 million to it's investors (which they have to report as income), and then those owners contribute that money to the Orioles to raise the value of the team. The Gnats would go crazy, because that would be MASN skimming money from them to give to the O's.

No they wouldn't.

Lerner is worth 3 LARGE. If he wants to drop a large chunk of it into the Nats payroll during the offseason he can.

It doesn't matter if the money he spends comes from his share of the MASN profits or a different source.

There are no rules, to my knowledge, limiting how much of a owner's personal wealth can be used to supplement a team's expenditures.

As long as they are willing to pay the luxury tax they can spend what they like. Heck if the Nats want to give La Russa a five year fifty million dollar contract to manage the Nats I don't think there is a provision against it.

No they wouldn't.

Lerner is worth 3 LARGE. If he wants to drop a large chunk of it into the Nats payroll during the offseason he can.

It doesn't matter if the money he spends comes from his share of the MASN profits or a different source.

There are no rules, to my knowledge, limiting how much of a owner's personal wealth can be used to supplement a team's expenditures.

As long as they are willing to pay the luxury tax they can spend what they like. Heck if the Nats want to give La Russa a five year fifty million dollar contract to manage the Nats I don't think there is a provision against it.

I fail to see what this has to do with what I wrote.

I am not surprised.

I will try and break it down in an even more simplistic fashion.

Owners can spend whatever they want out of their own pockets on the team.

It doesn't matter where that money came from.

Unless they are Baltimore Orioles owners who are using money they stole from the Washington Nationals by masking what should have been rights fees as profits. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

Unless they are Baltimore Orioles owners who are using money they stole from the Washington Nationals by masking what should have been rights fees as profits. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

They didn't steal any money from the Nats. The Nats were given a bad deal as part of the process that enabled them to put a team in DC.

The Nats are fully aware that the O's ownership is making more off of MASN then they are.

They didn't steal any money from the Nats. The Nats were given a bad deal as part of the process that enabled them to put a team in DC.

The Nats are fully aware that the O's ownership is making more off of MASN then they are.

Which is germane to nothing. Try to pay attention. It's not that tough. On second thought, contact your friendly neighborhood RICO attorney and see what he or she thinks would happen if MASN inflated profits and the owners invested the extra profits into the Orioles.

Which is germane to nothing. Try to pay attention. It's not that tough. On second thought, contact your friendly neighborhood RICO attorney and see what he or she thinks would happen if MASN inflated profits and the owners invested the extra profits into the Orioles.

Who is inflating profits?

Where are you getting this from?

MASN makes money, an identical amount is paid to the Nats and O's as a payment for showing the games. The profits are paid to the owners of MASN. What the individual owners do with their share of the MASN profits is irrelevant to this arrangement.

Who is inflating profits?

Where are you getting this from?

MASN makes money, an identical amount is paid to the Nats and O's as a payment for showing the games. The profits are paid to the owners of MASN. What the individual owners do with their share of the MASN profits is irrelevant to this arrangement.

Not if the Nationals feel that the profits were inflated to allow the O's to get more out of MASN than the Gnats got. That's what I've been talking about the whole time here. If the percentage of cash distributed to investors as profit is in line with what other RSNs do, there should be no problem.

The Orioles have the right to do exactly that and the Expos can go back to Canada if they don't like it. The right to complain about this arrangement was bargained away before the club was ever given the right to play in the Orioles market. It's a boys club. Not a nation. No democracy. Except among the autocrats. Who agreed with this arrangement. As did the Lerners. They are just appalled with the poor deal they made. And trying to change it. Won't happen without Peter making a more onerous deal.

The Orioles have the right to do exactly that and the Expos can go back to Canada if they don't like it. The right to complain about this arrangement was bargained away before the club was ever given the right to play in the Orioles market. It's a boys club. Not a nation. No democracy. Except among the autocrats. Who agreed with this arrangement. As did the Lerners. They are just appalled with the poor deal they made. And trying to change it. Won't happen without Peter making a more onerous deal.

Ownership share and team share are different. The Orioles get the lion's share of the profits. Teams get the same amount for broadcast rights. The Gnats have the right to go to arbitration if they think the rights are underpaid, and that's what they've done.

Ownership share and team share are different. The Orioles get the lion's share of the profits. Teams get the same amount for broadcast rights. The Gnats have the right to go to arbitration if they think the rights are underpaid, and that's what they've done.

And they are getting what Peter chose to pay them. Feel good about that.

The Nationals will lose this round. They will. Watch. Heck they already have. Those greedy folks wanted 120 million from MASN last year,

Archived