MLBTRADERUMORS Oriole Arbitration Notes

Redskins Rick

If Jim goes for 10.8, and the Orioles offer 8.7, I think Atty Smouse can handle that. If the disparity is greater than that and there is no settlement 48 hours before, Jim gets the Guthrie.

So, I think staking your reputation to that is reasonable. He would never arbitrate as an Oriole at that money.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with both bolded parts but you're missing the point. Hardy didn't negotiate his contract before he had no leverage. He negotiated his contract in the midst of a career year, months away from FA. He had leverage at that time. After the season there were other teams that would have offered at least 3/21. Hardy signed his extension on July 17, 2011.

I don't think someone who previously who had two injury plagued years and was then not even halfway through a season had as much leverage as you think.

O's could have and very well might have flipped him to a contender if he came at them with a large number.
Okay, a guy with little leverage, got 3/21 out of the penny pinching Orioles halfway through that season. I guess there's no way he would have gotten bigger offers than that on the open market. :rolleyes:

After he completed the season. ;)

Archived