Rosenthal reports Wieters might be traded, O's going after Salty

TradeAngelos

Projects him to be worth over 18 million this season through a WAR valuation.

I don't exactly agree... :P But I hope he is worth that much! Easy to let him go for the pick then.

And yes, I don't think Matt is going to be anywhere near worth his contract Boras get for him, moving forward. (I think for) his year 31 - 34, 35 etc. age seasons, I want no part of Matt. Let him go to the Yanks! I like Matt and hope he gets MFin paid! Just not paid by us.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think the O's took BPA, on their own board, when they took all 4 catchers or do you think organizational need played a role?

Organizational need is different then future need at the MLB level. It was probably a combination of BPA and the reality that catchers are needed on an organizational level.

I don't think they used a second round pick out of high school with any realistic expectation that he will replace Wieters at the MLB level.

Is there a more controversially evaluated player that Matt Wieters? He might be worth 20 mil a year or he might be worth 5. He might be ready to break out or he might be ready to break down. His defense might be stellar or maybe mediocre. His pitch calling; great or awful, and does pitch calling even matter?

Organizational need is different then future need at the MLB level. It was probably a combination of BPA and the reality that catchers are needed on an organizational level.

I don't think they used a second round pick out of high school with any realistic expectation that he will replace Wieters at the MLB level.

Organizational needs aren't defined as making sure you can fill out GCL rosters. They're defined by the probabilities of filling MLB needs. IMO, there's a good chance that part of the strategy was to increase the probabilities that they'll be able to replace Wieters from within.

Now if they think HS catchers are the new moneyball, great, but I suspect there was more to it.

BTW, I'd be shocked if we trade Wieters. He's more likely to hit FA and we get a pick.

Organizational needs aren't defined as making sure you can fill out GCL rosters. They're defined by the probabilities of filling MLB needs. IMO, there's a good chance that part of the strategy was to increase the probabilities that they'll be able to replace Wieters from within.

Now if they think HS catchers are the new moneyball, great, but I suspect there was more to it.

BTW, I'd be shocked if we trade Wieters. He's more likely to hit FA and we get a pick.

Yea, I disagree. I think picking four that early was just a blip and that the odds of any of them turning into a MLB starter at catcher are slim. The odds are just not that for high schoolers at that position.

I do however, think that picks are made with the minor league organization in mind. You need a certain number of catchers to go around so they will always be picked.

Mauer, a six-time All-Star as a catcher, decided to make the change after consulting with doctors from both the team and the Mayo Clinic. It's a change from his earlier stance, as he maintained at the end of the season that he wanted to remain behind the plate.

But after weighing the risks, Mauer, who has been symptom-free from the concussion since late October, determined that it would be in the best interests of both him and the Twins for a position change. He informed the club of his decision last week.

"This was one of the tougher decisions I've had to make but also probably one of the easiest," Mauer said in a conference call along with Twins general manager Terry Ryan. "It was a tough decision because I love catching and it's something I've worked hard at my whole life to become the best catcher I could be. So I'm a little disappointed my catching career had to end like this.

"As far as it being an easy thing, given the magnitude of the decision, I took my time just to make sure I was making the right decision for myself, my family, my career, my teammates and the organization. So I look forward to the challenge and getting back on the field."

Mauer and his physicians made the decision for the Twins.

Archived