Atlanta Braves are planning to leave Turner Field

Olson30

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/the-braves-ballpark-bamboozling-is-beginning-on-schedule/

Taxpayers are going to get hosed again.

One would think that after the Marlins fiasco they would at least have to wait a few more years before pulling this garbage.

Difference between the Marlins situation and this is the Marlins were playing in a football stadium retrofitted for baseball, open to the Florida summer elements, and were saddled with an unfriendly lease.

You can criticize the Marlins all you like about the financial details of the stadium deal or the front office's gutting of the payroll a year after they moved in, but at least there was a legitimate argument for a new Marlins stadium.

With the Braves, they are the sole tenants of a baseball only stadium who get the lions share of luxury box revenues. The supposed "need" for a new Braves stadium is truly mind boggling.

Difference between the Marlins situation and this is the Marlins were playing in a football stadium retrofitted for baseball, open to the Florida summer elements, and were saddled with an unfriendly lease.

You can criticize the Marlins all you like about the financial details of the stadium deal or the front office's gutting of the payroll a year after they moved in, but at least there was a legitimate argument for a new Marlins stadium.

With the Braves, they are the sole tenants of a baseball only stadium who get the lions share of luxury box revenues. The supposed "need" for a new Braves stadium is truly mind boggling.

I don't think the Marlins "needed" a new stadium when their share of revenue sharing exceeded their payroll most seasons.

Build what you want, move where you want, just don't stick the local taxpayers with the bill.

I don't think the Marlins "needed" a new stadium when their share of revenue sharing exceeded their payroll most seasons.

Build what you want, move where you want, just don't stick the local taxpayers with the bill.

^ This.

I have no problem with a team moving to a new stadium, but I definitely have a problem w/ them sticking the tax payers with the bill; especially considering this move is based off of Want and not Need.

^ This.

I have no problem with a team moving to a new stadium, but I definitely have a problem w/ them sticking the tax payers with the bill; especially considering this move is based off of Want and not Need.

“The other 45 percent will be funded without a tax increase for over 95 percent of Cobb County residents,” [county chairman Tim] Lee said. “This is a public-private partnership and the Braves are paying for 55 percent of the cost.”

Yea...sounds plausible...

I am sure the Braves will get right on paying 55% of any cost overruns as well right? Since I can only think of one stadium that finished on or below budget.

To be fair though, the reason revenue exceed payroll was because payroll was kept so low.

Now, whether you blame the low payroll on limited stadium revenues, or simply because of the general cheapness of Jeffrey Loria, John Henry and Wayne Huzeinga, that's a whole different issue.

However, it was the general consensus around the baseball world that Joe Robbie Stadium was not sustainable as a permanent baseball venue. It was viewed as too large (65,000 seats, although it made it a pretty awesome place during the two World Series runs), too open to the Florida summer weather elements, too ill-configured as a baseball stadium (given that the stadium was built first with football in mind), and with too restrictive a lease (wherein the Dolphins and not the Marlins would receive almost all of the revenues from parking, luxury box seating and concessions).

So objectively speaking, yes, the Marlins did need a new stadium.

Mind you that's all independent from the issue of how the stadium was paid for, and how Marlins ownership has apparently reneged on promises to increase payroll after moving to the new stadium.

To be fair though, the reason revenue exceed payroll was because payroll was kept so low.

Now, whether you blame the low payroll on limited stadium revenues, or simply because of the general cheapness of Jeffrey Loria, John Henry and Wayne Huzeinga, that's a whole different issue.

However, it was the general consensus around the baseball world that Joe Robbie Stadium was not sustainable as a permanent baseball venue. It was viewed as too large (65,000 seats, although it made it a pretty awesome place during the two World Series runs), too open to the Florida summer weather elements, too ill-configured as a baseball stadium (given that the stadium was built first with football in mind), and with too restrictive a lease (wherein the Dolphins and not the Marlins would receive almost all of the revenues from parking, luxury box seating and concessions).

So objectively speaking, yes, the Marlins did need a new stadium.

Mind you that's all independent from the issue of how the stadium was paid for, and how Marlins ownership has apparently reneged on promises to increase payroll after moving to the new stadium.

My definition of need is obviously different from yours. They won two titles there, they were not losing money. To me that is a want not a need.

Raw sewage in the dugout, that's a need.

I am uncertain there was ever a legitimate argument for the Marlins. Maybe one Florida team. But Two? Na.

The new stadium will have 6,000 parking spaces and no public transportation. That seems well-planned.

http://deadspin.com/the-braves-new-ballpark-will-have-less-parking-than-tu-1467646026

Think of all the surrounding neighborhoods selling parking spaces! It'll be just like the old days around Memorial Stadium! And grass roots economic growth to boot!

Archived