Meeting Rumblings

weams

Here's a sampling of Duquette's quotes:

On how he'd characterize the first three days: "We've been meeting with teams and agents and canvassing the market and seeing where we match up with teams. We've been talking to agents about signing some players to help bolster our ballclub, so we're making some pretty good progress with a couple of conversations that we've had. Hopefully, some of the work we're doing this week will bear fruit next week."

On how many teams he's met with this week: "We've probably talked to a little more than half the teams. We've sat down with a number of them face-to-face. Some touched base with us on their needs before the meetings. Some we don't really match up with, but we've been making good progress. Lee Thomas is down here working, too. He's talked to a number of clubs, too."

On whether pitching is a top priority: "Right now, we're looking at bolstering the club. We need an outfielder and a left-handed hitter to help at DH. And someone for the rotation. Like everyone else."

On whether he's looking for a second baseman: "Maybe. We'll see."

On rumors that he's willing to trade J.J. Hardy and Matt Wieters: "We like our core players. And it doesn't surprise me that clubs would be interested in Hardy and Wieters. They're good players. A lot of it is speculation. That's the way it goes this time of the off-season. J.J. Hardy is coming off a terrific year."

source - Roch Kubatko

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
source - Roch Kubatko

I like how Roch earlier in the day just shrugged off the Hardy rumors when are GM isn't even flat out saying we wouldn't trade Hardy or Wieters. I just hope things are changing around here and that DD can pull the trigger and doesn't have to get permission to trade them from PA like Bonilla, Roberts and whatever other deals PA has gotten in the way of.

A's manager Bob Melvin threw cold water on the idea that Jed Lowrie could be traded to the Cardinals, tweets Jane Lee of MLB.com. "Maybe [the Cardinals] made a call and inquired about him ... we?re not looking to move Jed Lowrie."

per mlbtr on Lowrie.

So realisically the Cards options for getting a SS are:

FA:

Jhonny Peralta-31 rumored to be wanting a 3/45 deal. Coming off a suspension.

Stephen Drew-30 mlbtr has him at 4/48. Cost's a draft pick because of Q.O.

Trade Market:

Asdrubal Cabrera- 28. Has 1/10 left on deal. .700 OPS in 2013 with a -0.9 dWAR.

JJ Hardy: 31. 1/8 left. I think we know his numbers.

Hopefully Oakland keeps Lowrie off the market then the Mets pull a Mets and sign Peralta. We just might be holding all the Cards.

per mlbtr on Lowrie.

So realisically the Cards options for getting a SS are:

FA:

Jhonny Peralta-31 rumored to be wanting a 3/45 deal. Coming off a suspension.

Stephen Drew-30 mlbtr has him at 4/48. Cost's a draft pick because of Q.O.

Trade Market:

Asdrubal Cabrera- 28. Has 1/10 left on deal. .700 OPS in 2013 with a -0.9 dWAR.

JJ Hardy: 31. 1/8 left. I think we know his numbers.

Hopefully Oakland keeps Lowrie off the market then the Mets pull a Mets and sign Peralta. We just might be holding all the Cards.

You don't think Profar is an option? Have the Rangers declared him off limits?

Add Tulo, Andrus, and Starlin Castro to the list as well.

I only wanted to put realistic options. Tulo would take way more than the cards want to give and is owed a ton of money and is an injury risk. Not happening. Andrus isn't going anywhere with that contract. Texas is in no position to eat a good portion of it nor are the Cards in a position to just absorb it. Remember they are a smart mid market team. As for Castro I hadn't even thought he was available. The Cubs would want a haul and Castro has a 6/55 deal left. That would be way complicated for a guy that OPS'ed .631 and isn't exactly known for his steady defense.

One owner said there are "serious reservations" regarding the posting system, and an agreement may not be reached at all. Should that be the case, coveted ace Masahiro Tanaka wouldn't be available to Major League teams this offseason at all.

Stephen Drew won't be back with the Red Sox.

I think the Red Sox are content with Bogaerts at SS but not Middlebrooks at 3B. I bet they are looking to sell Middlebrooks and will be in hard on Headley. He fits their type of player (high OBP, solid defense) and they have traded with SD before. We'd certainly have competition with them in the 3B market if we move Hardy.

“What I would tell you is that we made a proposal to the Japanese,” Manfred said at the end of the year’s final quarterly Owners Meetings. “When we made that proposal, we told them it was important that they give us a timely response. Unfortunately, they have not been able to do that.”

MLB waited several weeks for approval of its proposal by Japanese baseball officials, but sentiment among a growing number of Major League owners has turned to ending the posting system entirely.

“In today’s meeting there was discussion that will require us to go back to the Japanese and have some further conversation about the proposal we made to them,” Manfred said. “It sat out there for a long time. They couldn’t give us an answer and we’re going to have to go back to them and talk to them about where we are right now.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/talks-regarding-changes-to-the-japanese-player-posting-system-have-hit-a-snag/

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fb%2Fbaileho02.shtml%3Futm_campaign%3DLinker%26utm_source%3Ddirect%26utm_medium%3Dlinker-www.typepad.com&div=div_pitching_standard"></script>

Homer for a season anyone?

Archived