O's Willing to Trade Wieters Via Ken Rosenthal

andrewrickli

Outsider looking in, but I don't think trading Davis would be a bad deal at all. He put up a ridiculous first half and the second half he changed back to the player he was in 2012. If you can get a nice haul for him I'd be all over it because in all likelihood the value is never going to get higher. Just for an example, if the O's could land Gerrit Cole, Nick Kingham and Gregory Polanco then I think that's a move they'd have to make.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Less money? I think both Boras and DD will look at Wieters as a 750 OPS guy. Not valuing him at his 2013 stats. So its realistic money not less money.

No. You are looking at fair market value VS open market value.

DD will look at MW past 3 years of declining offense and want a fair market deal.

Boras will say NO and will let him hit the open market where teams like NYY, BOS, or even LAD will overpay for him.

Therefore Wieters would get less money (fair value) signing an extension with the Orioles right now.

Wieters to LAD for OF Joc Pederson and SP Zach Lee. Hardy to the Cards for Carlos Martinez. Play .500 ball next year. WS in 2015. Tillman, Martinez, Bundy, Lee, Gausman, Gonzo, Norris, Ed Rod. Stacked with Pitching.

Neither team accepts those trades. The Dodgers like Ellis and have no need of Wieters. The Cardinals aren't trading Martinez for Hardy.

I couldn't be more on board with trading Wieters. I'm not in favor of extending him. Too risky investing in a catcher his size. His value is his defense. If he can't stay behind the plate, it would automatically turn into a bad contract.

Davis should be extended ASAP though

This is a terrible time to trade Wieters.

He is still relatively cheap in 2014 because there is no need to give him a long term contract.

If he crushed the ball this year, then sure, trade him while is value is high. But right his trade value is not very high and trading him creates a big problem in and of itself: we don't have another decent catcher.

I'll drive Wieters to the airport.

Davis? Ugh. Come on, we've been whining about not having a true slugger for years and when we finally get him we're discussing trading him? Stupid.

We aren't discussing trading him according to this tweet. Tweet simply says that Davis is up to be signed in 2 years.

What do we legitimately think we can get back for Wieters?

I'll drive Wieters to the airport.

Davis? Ugh. Come on, we've been whining about not having a true slugger for years and when we finally get him we're discussing trading him? Stupid.

Re-read the tweet. Rosenthal isn't speculating that Davis will be traded. Only Wieters.

This is a terrible time to trade Wieters.

He is still relatively cheap in 2014 because there is no need to give him a long term contract.

If he crushed the ball this year, then sure, trade him while is value is high. But right his trade value is not very high and trading him creates a big problem in and of itself: we don't have another decent catcher.

Who is to say this isn't the high point of his value? He has declined each of the last two seasons. If he does it again this year then there wont be much of any value left.

Who is to say this isn't the high point of his value? He has declined each of the last two seasons. If he does it again this year then there wont be much of any value left.

To be clear, I'm not against trading him. If some sucker team wants him for something we need and there is a plan to solve the catcher issue, then by all means move him.

It is my opinion that trading him now is likely selling low and during his arbitration years, his defense and knowledge of the Orioles pitching staff is most valuable as an Oriole.

When he demands 6 years $100 million dollars in free agency, then his value is NOT worth defense and familiarity with the pitching staff.

No, he didn't. His walk rate was 12.1% in the 2nd half, up from 9.7% in the first half, up from 6.6% in 2012.

Yeah exactly. All that happened to Davis in the second half is he got pitched around more, so he didn't hit as many homers. He's not a perennial 50 homer guy because that's nearly impossible to do. But he could definitely be a perennial 35-40 homer guy with a 10+ walk rate, which would be awesome.

I'm all for trading Wieters and Hardy and then giving some big fat contracts to Davis and Machado. Jones, Davis, and Machado are the cornerstones we want to build our team around.

Archived