O's Willing to Trade Wieters Via Ken Rosenthal

andrewrickli

The Orioles would want Schoop to play 3B if they were in agreement with most of the scouting community who saw him play last year in the AFL BEFORE he was injured. The general consensus was he profiles better there.

I think you would be hard pressed to get a better defensive second baseman right now than Flaherty. Before Roberts came back he was actually turning the DP at a higher percentage than Pedroia. If he can hit the Orioles will have a heckuva IF.

Yes, I know how big an "if" that is.

I think that an 2014 IF of Machado, Roberts/Flaherty, Uribe/Flaherty/Valencia would give us just as much Offensive production and only slightly downgrade on defense. The plus would be of course getting a young SP for the rotation. Flaherty and Roberts combined for 18 HR's last year. Machado hit 14 and Uribe hit 12. Still a decent amount of power from 2b,3b and SS.

Plus someone just posted that Peralta is seeking 3/45 million in another thread. You'd have to think JJ would be at least looking at 3/36. The market is no longer depressed like it was for awhile. Teams are spending that extra tv money. So you either spend or build through trades. Can't stand pat.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOS, MFY, TEX, and not a few other teams will be in on Mcann. They can't all sign him. They would love Wieters as a second prize. If we can get some promising young SP, it makes sense to trade him. But we still have to find a decent C. AJ Pierzynski? I hope not.

Please trade Wieters this offseason while we can still get something good this offseason. I would be looking for young SP w/ upside or a very good AA OF prospect. I just can't see paying $15 mill for a catcher w/ a sub .300 OBP. Catcher's poor aging has been discussed ad nauseum. How about paying $15 mill/yr for an aging DH w/ no speed or OBP skills. Mauer's contract looks even worse now that he's a 1B.

Major league sources say it's not a surprise that the Orioles are willing to deal Matt Wieters. The bigger question is how Baltimore would reshape the roster if they made such a move. The O's don't have much breathing room to spend, but Rosenthal suggests the Orioles could gain flexibility by moving the catcher and also closer Jim Johnson, who projects to earn $10.8MM through arbitration. The O's could then find cheaper alternatives at both positions and be aggressive on the open market.

Doubt it will happen, but if it does Duquette would have my support.

I think a decision on Hardy has to come first. If we do trade him for a young arm then we could go with a postion player at the center of a MW trade. Unless we get a haul for MW we could just hang onto him and trade him next offseason. I don't think Jim Johnson is going anywhere. There are a ton of closing options on the market and most will be cheaper than what he is going to make next year. Hopefully the Cardinals SS market dries up and we get one of Miller/Martinez and have to kick in a little (Britton) to get the trade done.

Not sure I would trade Wieters (unless overwhelmed). Just seems like a sell low situation to me. I am willing to ride with him for another year and try to move him next offseason if it makes sense.

Yeah for this reason I think Wieters is almost guaranteed to be with the team on opening day. I think it's increasingly unlikely that he'll be with the team in another two years, which in my opinion is a good thing. He's a very solid player and I'm glad to have him, but he's not worth breaking the bank for, especially considering the guy who's ninety feet to his right.

Not sure I would trade Wieters (unless overwhelmed). Just seems like a sell low situation to me. I am willing to ride with him for another year and try to move him next offseason if it makes sense.

What? He would actually be less valuable as a one year rental to a team. You don't just switch catchers every year with a pitching staff.

The value with Wieters is still 2 years under control with top defense. His offense decline is not going to hurt him that much.

Archived