O's Willing to Trade Wieters Via Ken Rosenthal

andrewrickli

What? He would actually be less valuable as a one year rental to a team. You don't just switch catchers every year with a pitching staff.

The value with Wieters is still 2 years under control with top defense. His offense decline is not going to hurt him that much.

I would need to understand that better. I mean, I have to think his player value is at the lowest it has ever been. Agreed that his contract value is only going to get worse the closer you get to FA. I just tend to believe his player value is outweighing the contract value at this point. I am willing to bet that if he rebounds (I recognize the risk in that) the O's will have trade partners next offseason. I believe the value gained in player value will outweigh the value lost in contract value. I think his offensive performance this past season damaged his value pretty severely and according to various stats his defense suffered as well. To me, it just seems like selling low.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What? He would actually be less valuable as a one year rental to a team. You don't just switch catchers every year with a pitching staff.

The value with Wieters is still 2 years under control with top defense. His offense decline is not going to hurt him that much.

As stupid as this sounds it may be in the O's best interest for the NYY or Sox to sign Mccann so Tex at least would be another potential trading partner for MW.

I would need to understand that better. I mean, I have to think his player value is at the lowest it has ever been. Agreed that his contract value is only going to get worse the closer you get to FA. I just tend to believe his player value is outweighing the contract value at this point. I am willing to bet that if he rebounds (I recognize the risk in that) the O's will have trade partners next offseason. I believe the value gained in player value will outweigh the value lost in contract value. I think his offensive performance this past season damaged his value pretty severely and according to various stats his defense suffered as well. To me, it just seems like selling low.

The O's wont sell low on Wieters. They know his value. Which is why he will be an Orioles for 2014 and 2015.

As stupid as this sounds it may be in the O's best interest for the NYY or Sox to sign Mccann so Tex at least would be another potential trading partner for MW.

Buck already said Wieters will end up in pin stripes. I think if he were traded, he would end up in LA.

Roch Kubatko

Please don't suggest that Caleb Joseph is a logical replacement for Wieters based on his 2013 stats at Double-A Bowie. I wanted him to move up to Triple-A Norfolk over the summer. I wanted him to get a September promotion. But the Orioles can't pencil him into their 2014 opening day lineup.

That's especially true of Michael Ohlman, whose stock is soaring but who hasn't played above the Single-A level. He needs to play at Bowie. No higher.

It?s doubtful that the Orioles could properly address their biggest flaw, their lack of a top-of-the-rotation starter, in the open market; the choices are too risky. So why not seek a modestly priced starter and make a run at an elite offensive player such as Carlos Beltran, Shin-Soo Choo or even Robinson Cano? Robinson Cano is the biggest star on the market. Who are the best players for sale this offseason?

OK, OK ? Angelos is unlikely to pay Cano what he wants, and Cano is unlikely to leave New York for Baltimore. But if the Orioles bid, say, $150 million, they at least would drive up the price for Yankees ? and they also could employ the same strategy with Beltran, another Yankees target and obvious fit in Baltimore.

Landing either player would energize the Orioles? Yankee-hating fan base, and more importantly improve the club. Ask the Rays, whose payrolls are far lower than the Orioles?: Creativity is required when trying to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL East.

The chances of the Orioles keeping Wieters are slim. The same (gulp) ultimately goes for Davis. And paying nearly $11 million to Johnson, who had 50 saves and a 2.94 ERA but endured some rough stretches last season, is simply not advisable for a team on a budget.

Time to get busy, Baltimore.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/baltimore-orioles-should-trade-catcher-matt-wieters-closer-jim-johnson-111313?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:mlbonfox

Angelos is unlikely to pay Cano what he wants."

I wouldn't use the word unlikely. Try snowball's chance in h-e-l-l, but either way Kenny wins the Captain Obvious award. Rosenthal should stick with insider info and stopping playing midget GM. He sucks at the latter. Don't waste time bidding on Cano.

Archived