Possible Interest in Scott Kazmir

orioles4lyfe

"Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Scott Kazmir is high on the Orioles' listof free agent pitchers. Kazmir is coming off a resurgent season in which he posted a 4.04 ERA and 162/47 K/BB ratio over 158 innings. The 29-year-old southpaw should be able to land a multi-year deal this winter and is unlikely to return to the Indians."

-per Rotoworld

What do you guys think about Kazmir? Could be a good get, but always an injury risk. Don't know about giving him more than a year. What would be a reasonable offer for him?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big Kazmir fan. On a per-inning basis, he was great last year. He didn't pitch deep into games, which is a problem, but you can sign me up for just about any starter coming off a season with a 9.23 K/9 and a 2.68 BB/9 who will only command a 2 year deal for less than 10 million a year.

The big reason he was successful this year is that he found his fastball again. His average velocity of 92.5 is very good for a lefthanded starter and was his highest since all the way back in 2005. Whatever he did to change his mechanics, he needs to keep doing that.

It also looks like he introduced a cutter this year, and although he used it sporadically, I like that he has that to go with an effective changeup as weapons against right handed hitters.

If we're deciding between Feldman and Kazmir, at the same price I'd probably take Feldman, but it would be very close. If we can get Kazmir on a 1 year deal w/option, or if Feldman gets offers for 3 years, or if Feldman's average annual salary exceeds Kazmir's, I'd take Kazmir.

He's basically what Erik Bedard was. A six inning pitcher that's unhittable when he's on. He doesn't really fit the innings eater DD says he's looking for. I would be fine if they signed Kazmir. I only think the O's are interested because he may come cheap. I think some team will give Kazmir a 2 or 3 year deal. Once that DD sees that, the Orioles will bow out as usual and focus on guys like Hammel.

A bit risky but I like his upside. Feldman is safer but I like the idea of Kazmir. 2/16 wouldn't be a crippling contract if he busts.

No disrespect....but Feldmans best is mediocre and would be lumped in your group of fifth starter candidates. Kazmir could be in the top two of this rotation if signed.

I like Kazmir as well and am okay with the terms being tossed around. 8 mill sounds high to me but also seems reasonable when you hear about 16-20 million dollar a year deals some have gotten in the last year or two. He is one of those guys that can completely shut down a team for 5 or 6 innings and look like an all-star. If he can get his endurance back and go longer in games he has shutout and no-hit ability.

No disrespect, but Feldman was better than Kazmir last year. Having said that, I'd prefer Kazmir because I think his best is better than Feldman's best.

None taken...Kazmir was returning after missing a season. Has good stuff ...could be better as indicated by his stats from a few years back. Feldman is a junk ballerina without an out pitch

He's basically what Erik Bedard was. A six inning pitcher that's unhittable when he's on. He doesn't really fit the innings eater DD says he's looking for. I would be fine if they signed Kazmir. I only think the O's are interested because he may come cheap. I think some team will give Kazmir a 2 or 3 year deal. Once that DD sees that, the Orioles will bow out as usual and focus on guys like Hammel.

Honestly this was my first thought too. Why give Kazmir big money if you just want Bedard? Just sign Bedard.

That was kind of the point. Nobody wants Bedard back.

Yes, but Kazmir is not(at least I've never heard anything) and he's better when he's on than pretty much anyone on the staff currently. Now granted he's probably not always going to be on *but* the guy did strike out more than a batter an inning last night year while only walking 2.6 per 9 IP. Even with the injury concerns, I'd be willing to roll the dice on him for 2/16mil or something similar. If he stays healthy, that deal could prove to be a major bargain; if he doesn't, it won't be a complete catastrophe.

• 3 weeks later...
No disrespect....but Feldmans best is mediocre and would be lumped in your group of fifth starter candidates. Kazmir could be in the top two of this rotation if signed.

Feldman is a better pitcher, with a better body, and pitches deeper into games than Kazmir, who is a short stint lefty. Like Bedard.

Archived