Mets have talked to O's about Markakis

sportsfan8703

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take Ike Davis straight up for Markakis in a second. Just as long as the Mets take Markakis contract, no problem. Do you think Chris Davis can play RF full time. He looked decent out there in 2012, and his arm is excellent. I am ready to move on at this point, and although I will always like Nick it really is time.

Ike Davis is an interesting buy low guy. I'd like to think a change of scenery would do him some good. That and getting out of Citi Field. If you could turn him around it gives you some cushion if you can't extend Davis. He's had some incredible offensive stretches.

I love Nick, it's just a damn shame that he hasn't developed like we all hoped he would, especially after that .899 OPS season. I'd be perfectly happy with trading him, though I don't see how we aren't eating some salary.

I doubt it happens, though. It'd be interesting to see if Nick can bounce back from 2013 and put up a 40 double 20 homer season but I doubt it.

What went wrong with him?

What went wrong with him?

He got a bunch of money. He got married and had kids. He got a foundation. He got direct connection with ownership. And he looks thinner. Maybe it was just wear and tear, because he did play tough and hard for a few seasons.

He was pretty close to that pace in 2012. He wouldn't be the first player to bounce back from an off year and have a good age 30 season.

Agreed. Nick had a bad year last year, but he was solid in 2012 until he got hurt and not that bad after he came back. Why trade him unless someone clearly better is found to play RF? There's a good chance he'll rebound in 2014.

For all the people saying Angelos wouldn't let Nick go, maybe, maybe not. I thought I remembered a quote from Angelos a few years back expressing frustration with Markakis based on his performance relative to what he was getting paid. Haven't been able to find the quote yet though.

I hope the "bag of balls" stuff is an exaggeration. For one, he is coming off the only true below average season of his career. Aside from last season, he has ranged from slightly above average offensively (OPS+ of 106, 108 & 106 in 2006, 2009, and 2011, respectively) to a very good offensive player (OPS+ of 121, 136, 120 & 126 in the other four years). You'd be selling low on him now but even so he has some value. Shane Victorino is not a bad offensive comp. Nick's probably been a bit better offensively throughout his career and a tad more consistent. Victorino had a bad year in 2012 but still managed a $13 m per year contract. Its not a stretch to think Nick would fetch in that neighborhood on the open market. He is overpaid, but not to the extent some are making it out to be.

He has value. I would be very surprised if he doesn't bounce back to a .750+ OPS next season, either. I wouldn't trade him for a bag of balls or Ike Davis (and I like wouldn't mind getting Ike Davis). In the right deal I'd definitely move him but I don't look at him as a pure salary dump at all.

I hope the "bag of balls" stuff is an exaggeration. For one, he is coming off the only true below average season of his career. Aside from last season, he has ranged from slightly above average offensively (OPS+ of 106, 108 & 106 in 2006, 2009, and 2011, respectively) to a very good offensive player (OPS+ of 121, 136, 120 & 126 in the other four years). You'd be selling low on him now but even so he has some value. Shane Victorino is not a bad offensive comp. Nick's probably been a bit better offensively throughout his career and a tad more consistent. Victorino had a bad year in 2012 but still managed a $13 m per year contract. Its not a stretch to think Nick would fetch in that neighborhood on the open market. He is overpaid, but not to the extent some are making it out to be.

He has value. I would be very surprised if he doesn't bounce back to a .750+ OPS next season, either. I wouldn't trade him for a bag of balls or Ike Davis (and I like wouldn't mind getting Ike Davis). In the right deal I'd definitely move him but I don't look at him as a pure salary dump at all.

I would trade him for Ike Davis.

I would trade him for salary relief. (Unless I heard something really encouraging from Brady's trainer)

Archived