Mets have talked to O's about Markakis

sportsfan8703

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think payroll needs to be dumped at all, what with the extra TV money and all.

That being said, Nick is #2 on my list if payroll does need to be cleared.

I tend to agree. We keep hearing that baseball is awash in new TV money. I think some teams will use it on players, but for the Orioles, I doubt the fans ever see it on the field.

When I see Ike Davis, I look at the advanced batting stats and see someone poised for a rebound:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisik02-bat.shtml

His ISO dropped .100 in 2013, and his BABIP was abysmal, all while still posting a .326 OBP. His 15% walk percentage was actually pretty good. In addition, he hit MUCH better in the second half, absolutely crushing the ball in August (SLG of .522). A Davis for Markakis swap is something I could definitely get on board with. Even if Davis doesn't rebound, we shed a ton of salary, and get a good "change of scenery" candidate.

Is it also fair to assume that Nick will rebound? I'm not a big Markakis guy but I like his chances.

Is it also fair to assume that Nick will rebound? I'm not a big Markakis guy but I like his chances.

Markakis hit worse in the 2nd half, and without a torrid May, he would have OPS'ed .633 for the year. Granted, there was talk that he played injured all year, but I just don't see him ever recovering to be worth his contract.

That contract costs us 15 million dollars this year.

Even if Markakis rebounds to hit .750-.775, we're still overpaying by quite a bit.

Markakis hit worse in the 2nd half, and without a torrid May, he would have OPS'ed .633 for the year. Granted, there was talk that he played injured all year, but I just don't see him ever recovering to be worth his contract.

That contract costs us 15 million dollars this year.

Even if Markakis rebounds to hit .750-.775, we're still overpaying by quite a bit.

Yep, and if you remove all of his hits, he would have a batting average of .000!

I don't think anybody here thinks that Markakis will be worth $15 million next season, because he hasn't been worth that in any single season since 2008. But if he bounces back to be close to the player that he was from 2009-2012, that is a 2.9 WAR player which is a significant upgrade from last season. I would argue that it is completely reasonable to expect him to bounce back to his 2009-2012 form, downgraded slightly due to standard aging trends. 2.5 WAR for a full season (650 PA) next year is not an unreasonable expectation. He has exceeded that every year except for 2010 (2.0 per 650 PA) and last season.

Archived