It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Minnesota doesn't' seem like the type of team to trade for Wieters.

Cleveland? Maybe. Carlos Santana caught 84 games for them last year. Maybe they want to move him? Again, not sure Cleveland is the type of team to go for Wieters.

Santana is a poor catcher. A good hitter though.

Right. I could see Cleveland getting a catcher and playing Santana at 1B. I'm just not sure I see them wanting Wieters enough to a) want to pay him for the next 2 years AND b) give up something of value for him.

Maybe that Yan Gomes is good enough for them then.

I'm not for giving up the pick but I do not believe Wieters value is at an all time low. It will be lower next offseason. Even if he rebounds to a .750 OPS, with one year left to FA, we won't get as much.

OK then, All time low to date.

Given the state of catching prospects in the O's system I would much rather keep him for the two seasons then consider tendering him a qualifying offer. The idea of signing Salty coming off a 372 BABIP season makes my stomach hurt.

So the idea is, trade Wieters while his value is at an all time low and then give up a first round draft pick to sign a FA catcher?

I will tentatively put myself in the opposed column.

1) I'm not sure that Wieters' value is at an all-time low, though it certainly isn't high.

2) Any catcher the Orioles would sign wouldn't cost a pick.

That said, I agree with the sentiment here. Unless Wieters' salary is preventing the Orioles from making a very specific move, trading him doesn't make much sense to me. Perhaps I'll be surprised what another team is willing to give up for Wieters. If DD can work out a trade centering around Wieters and maybe another smaller piece to the Braves for Minor or Medlen, I'd be fully on board.

Whether he's traded or not, it seems nearly certain that he won't be extending here, which, frankly, suits me just fine. Better a year early than a year etc. etc.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Nobody really benefits from canceling games like this if they're able to be played. Some fans want to go, the team makes some $ off attendance, and there are players trying to make their mark. 
    • I would be shocked if all of the players in the opening post are with the team at the end of 23. 
    • Yep.   I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the OD roster.    Verducci Effect or not, the benefit for the Club if it can acquire control of his 2029 is large.     Grayson Rodriguez's 2022 platform has not been enough for Mike Elias to plan to pitch him 26 weeks or 33 starts in MLB in 2023.     The rest is just a question of asset management. Pittsburgh Roansy Contreras is a talented young pitcher maybe close to Grayson's ballpark, has been the 100-loss Pirates second best starter this year by ERA+, and was optioned back to AAA yesterday like he was Nick Vespi or something.   There's a chicken-egg game with SP's building up to take the full Jordan Lyles complement, and Clubs "protecting their best interests" by looking out for them.   And then, the meta-game where the MATH doesn't make sense for anyone except maybe 10 guys per league to take the full Jordan Lyles complement. It isn't that Grayson Rodriguez isn't as awesome as Gunnar Henderson...he just isn't ramped up enough.   And competitively, you aren't maximizing the roster well enough on a daily basis if "tired Grayson Rodriguez" gets one of your 13 precious spots that day. In terms of what the 2023 Orioles will be, I hope they use him straight out of the gate, and start tinkering with load management if being the 6th best or better team in the league looks likely after a few months.   But I don't think that's what will happen.     The Mariners Logan Gilbert and George Kirby cases this year are decent analogs, and curious to see what they have left for this month.
    • Yes, at 3B/SS/2B.  860 OPS at 1B could be 750 at the big league level, which gets you Mountcastle.  With plus defense across other IF positions, that's positive WAR.
    • I am glad we don't have to choose at least not now anyway.  I would also go with Adley for the intangibles.
    • This probably means we get a grand finale of the Aguilar and Odor Show in game 2. 
    • Why are they even playing these games, everything is set for the playoffs. I would hate to see somebody pick-up a significant injury in a meaningless game. 
  • Popular Contributors