It seems at least likely that Wieters gets traded.

weams

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Washington Nationals

Wieters and Patton for Ramos and Tyler Moore

The Nationals are a team that is built to win now. Many favor them to win the pennant next year. Though Ramos is a good catcher he is not near as durable as Wieters. Ramos probably projects to play about 100 games. Wieters 140 games. Ramos has had injury problems missing 129 games in 2012 with an ACL and 44 games in 2013 with a hamstring. Wieters has been a rock health wise

The Nationals are looking for lefthanded relievers. Patton was discussed last year in a trade with them.

The Nationals will spend and with their ownership they will probably put a good portion of the 25M of additional TV money back in the major league team. Wieters 8-10M salary for 2014 should not be a problem.

Ramos is entering his first year of arbitration. Moore has one year and 106 days for ML service.

The Nationals have a good relationship with Boras with Harper, Werth, Rendon, and Soriano all being Boras clients. Even more important the Nationals will spend to keep Wieters in the future.

This makes plenty of sense for the Nationals. However, Ramos has only had one season playing 80 big league games or more so I don't think you can assume 100. He seems fragile, and Moore hasn't shown he's past the AAAA label. What exactly are the Orioles getting by giving up Wieters and Patton in this scenario?

How about Markakis and Weiters to Reds for Brandon Phillips, Devon Mazaroko and Homer Bailey. If we have to swallow some of Markakis contract to get Bailey, so be it. We get a lead off hitter, gold glove second baseman, a controllable catcher and a #2 pitcher behind Tillman and the Reds gets someone to replace Choo and a gold glove catcher.

How about Markakis and Weiters to Reds for Brandon Phillips, Devon Mazaroko and Homer Bailey. If we have to swallow some of Markakis contract to get Bailey, so be it. We get a lead off hitter, gold glove second baseman, a controllable catcher and a #2 pitcher behind Tillman and the Reds gets someone to replace Choo and a gold glove catcher.

Devon Mazaroko is not someone I would go after. Homer Bailey is good. He is a FA after this season though. SO you better be building for this to be the year.

My biggest concern with Matt is that he's big and being over used. His numbers may bounce back a little but I highly doubt he'll age well and his bat, especially with a big contract, is not good enough for 1B/DH. I like him, his leadership, his defense, and his bat from the right side. That poor swing from the left and the concerns above are enough for me to flip him for a quality return.

A valid concern.

This makes plenty of sense for the Nationals. However, Ramos has only had one season playing 80 big league games or more so I don't think you can assume 100. He seems fragile, and Moore hasn't shown he's past the AAAA label. What exactly are the Orioles getting by giving up Wieters and Patton in this scenario?

Nothing. Evidently some folks think Wieters is a contract dump. Not hardly, he is coveted with two control years.

Scouting report from The Sporting News on (Wilson Ramos 26 years old)

Asset - Has an ideal catcher's build. Can hit for a solid average and also displays some home-run power. His defense is first-rate.

Flaws - Could stand to improve his walk/strikeout ratio so as to maximize his overall potential. Also needs to avoid the injury bug and bad luck.

Career potential Quality all-round catcher, when healthy.

My comment: He never had injuries before 2012.

Tyler Moore (27 next year)

Assets - Is a big man with prodigious power and run-producing qualities. Can play first base or left field.

Flaws - Strikes out way too much and could stand to shorten his swing a little. Isn't a great glove man.

Career potential - Big slugger with some upside.

My comments: Sounds like a DH with upside. Has never really gotten a chance in the majors to play everyday.

Maybe there needs to a be third player added to the deal from the Nationals.

Lead off hitter? Who? Phillips?!? The 32 year old coming off a .310 OBP, .307 wOBA and 91 wRC+? You aren't talking about that guy are you?

So the idea is, trade Wieters while his value is at an all time low and then give up a first round draft pick to sign a FA catcher?

I will tentatively put myself in the opposed column.

Sorry to pick you out of a lineup Can but... I don't buy this whole idea on here lately that trading Matt right now is selling low. He is still well regarded (and deservedly so...) as a great defensive catcher. Containing the running game (props to JJ...) and controlling the pitchers and the WHOLE D. Field General. Only ranking behind Buck, Commander of Allied Forces.

That makes DD FDR...

Archived