Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

Just clarify, I thought you'd have to offer arbitration so you'll get that draft pick? I can't remember us offering Hawkings arbitration.

If true this will be a heck of a draft with the overall 5th pick and another 1st round suplemental pick. Time for Jordan to work his magic again!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just clarify, I thought you'd have to offer arbitration so you'll get that draft pick? I can't remember us offering Hawkings arbitration.

If true this will be a heck of a draft with the overall 5th pick and another 1st round suplemental pick. Time for Jordan to work his magic again!

we have until Dec 1st to offer arbitration. However, I wonder if he actually signed the deal yeserday. If he signs it today, would we possibly not get that pick? I would imagine the signing doesn't become official until he passes his physical and actually signs the contract. By then, it could be after Dec 1st.

Given the fact that he was "focused on", I don't think this means he has physically signed the contract

Rockies officials could not be reached to comment on the deal late Thursday, but general manager Dan O’Dowd has said he was focused on ``a veteran pitcher who has worked in the role of a closer, a lot like what we had with Jose Mesa, only younger.’’

I agree, this year's draft should yield atleast a Rowell and Beato. Possibly a little more, considering that we have the 5th pick in what is being described as one of the best draft classes in recent years.

Really? I thought I had read the exact opposite in an article the other day.

Wait, why do we lose the 2nd AND 3rd round?

Bradford was a Type A but with Baez's contract stating that his team had to offer him a contract before 11/15 or be non-tendered, that doesn't mean we have to give up a pick for him, does it? Or is he still considered a Type A

contract includes clause requiring club to sign Baez to an extension by 11/15/06 or allow him to become a free agent

Its my understanding this clause does not mean he was non-tendered. It means, like Latroy Hawkins, he simply filed for free agency. As he was signed before December 1 and is a Type A he costs a pick.

Links re: costing a pick

link

link

Would you trade Beato or Reimold for Baker?

Reimold was a second round pick. Olson was a supplemental pick in the 2005 draft. I agree with the overall point though. I'd keep our prospects.

RZ, one can debate the "luck" of the situation - we'll just have to disagree - regarding the timing of the signing. The more basic point, the one I am trying to make, is that our FO swapped two seemingly average relievers and acquired the reliever that graded as a Type B free agent. Kudos, I say, and I think it is deserved.

I just wanted to clarify that the deadline in the new agreement between the Players & Owners stipulates that today is the last day for us/other teams to offer arbitration correct? Previously it used to be like a week or two later.

Baseball America has described the high school crop as one of the best and deepest in years, I believe. Not sure about college though.

I know I'll never find the article again since I've read so many lately. But, basically, it was saying that front offices weren't as concerned this year about losing draft choices because next year's amateur draft was pretty thin. Perhaps its just a case of the writer being as ill-informed as I am on such things.

We don't get any picks from the Rockies, but we do get a 1st round supplemental. This is a small miracle.

And I can't find a direct link but this Nat's blog, talking about to Jim Calllis, said this

Thanks to Jim Callis of Baseball America for this bit of information. It’s his understanding the supplemental first round picks will be awarded according to previous year’s record regardless of the type of free agent signed.

In other words, the Cubs will select first in the supplemental first round at #31 for the loss of Juan Pierre and, at present, the Nationals will select at #32 for the loss of Soriano. There are two teams with free agents that can bump the Nationals down a pick: Pittsburgh for Type B Jeromy Burnitz and Baltimore for either Type A Kevin Millar or Type B Latroy Hawkins. If both teams were to require compensation, the Soriano supplemental selection can be no lower than #34.

link

So the Os have the 1st supplemental pick. Anybody confirm?

If he signed before the deadline to offer arbitration, doesn't that take away the onus of offering him arbitration?

Yea...I realized this after i posed the question. I guess from the Rockies point of view, they lose nothing and get the guy they want before other teams get involved.

As RZ said, we just got lucky, plain and simple. Takes a little of the sting away from signing Baez.

Archived