Comp pick: Rockies sign Hawkins!

bigbird

How about a very good chance Hawkins accepts abritration where he stays with the Orioles for about $5 million vs switching clubs for $3.5 million.

That's good enough for me. These guys at Rotoworld are complete idiots if they don't realize that there must have been a good reason for the Orioles doing what they did.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next time I won't be so quick to assume Rosenthal knows what he's talking about. :mad:

Can't really blame the O's on this. Arbitration would probably have given Hawkins more than Colorado offered him. The Rotoworld people like to think that they're more knowledgable than the folks who do it for a living, but the factor they didn't clue in on is - it doesn't matter that CO would have made the offer one way or the other - as there's a very good chance that Hawkins would NOT have accepted CO's offer and would have accepted arbitration.

Except they are right.

Except they are wrong... Hawkins could have accepted the Orioles offer of arbitration and in fact make at least $4.35m, which is what he made in 2006. So now the Orioles have a pitcher they don't want, and making at least $4.35m.

If the O's knew that Hawkins was going to be signing and didn't offer arbitration they just gave away a draft pick for no good reason - after already surrendering 2 picks on mediocre releivers. The only chance they have of being consistently relevant is through developing their own talent, which is much harder to do without picks. They just bought themsleves a couple of season's worth of being "okay" while getting back on the Lee Lacy / Fred Lynn / Ray Knight treadmill. Great.

Jamie Walker is mediocre? Last year his ERA+ was 161 and for the past 3 years it was 141, 116, 161. From everything I've read is that he is one of the games best LH relief pitchers.

Danys Baez is mediocre too?

Worst case scenario is Hawkins accepts and you trade him to the Rockies for a PTNL.

Not if he's making over the $3.5m that Colorado is offering him. So what, the Orioles have to kick in the difference in what he gets through arbitration to get a PTBNL. What if in arbitration, he gets $5m? So the Orioles have to throw in $1.5m in cash plus Hawkins to get a PTBNL.

And the answer is 11pm (source below though unrelated directly to the O's)

The Rangers want to be sure that if they can't re-sign RHP Vicente Padilla, they at least get a draft pick for him. So the club is expected to offer Padilla, a Type B free agent, arbitration before today's 11 p.m. deadline. If Padilla signs with another club, the Rangers would get a sandwich pick between the first and second rounds of next year's draft.

http://www.benmaller.com/#mlb_rumors_notes

11 p.m. Texas is 12 midnight EST.

I think this was a dumb move, should have offered him the arbitration.

If he accepts, you just cut him and only owe him something like 20% of whatever amount he ends up getting (unless they changed that rule in the new CBA). Seems like a fair gamble to get a comp pick, especially the way they are doing the comps now where we would have ended up with a pick between 31-35.

I can't wait to hear from Roch or BB why we didn't offer Hawkins arbitration, especially when he was going to sign with the Rockies. I guess they plan on finding a gem in the 4th round. This is supposed to be one of the most deepest drafts in years and they gave away a pick. They'd better make up for it at the Winter Meetings!

The same reason that any team refuses to offer any player arbitration. The Orioles were obviously afraid that there is a chance that he would accept.

Interesting take. I was going to argue, paying Hawkins the difference as incentive to sign with Colorado. My thinking is that we paid Beato 1M as a supplemental pick last year, so the value of the pick itself is 1M. It's not so clear cut, but it sure hurts not to get that pick since we lost then 2nd and 3rd rounder also. I can see why the O's did what they did, but maybe they could have gotten CREATIVE in this situation. :D

What a waste of $1 million!

What a waste of $1 million!

So you wouldn't gamble $1M on the chance that he'd still sign with Colorado and we'd get a top 35 pick?

Tell him after offering him arbitration that if he accepts it, we're going to cut him. I think its an absolute no-brainer to offer arbitration under those circumstances.

Duq said today that they didn't want him to fail the physical and us be stuck with him.

Do they know something about him? Was that just a hope type thing?

We should know how he is medically, so i would hope they know something.

Could the front office people actually know more that the guys at Rotoworld??

You don't stay in a job long by pissing away a million dollars on the a draft pick you may not be able to sign.

Could the front office people actually know more that the guys at Rotoworld??

You don't stay in a job long by pissing away a million dollars on the a draft pick you may not be able to sign.

That's what i am asking...Did they know something about his health or was it just an excuse they are making?

You seriously wouldn't have offered him arbitration?

And saying we might not be able to sign a draft pick is no sort of argument. We've signed all of our top picks since Jordan took over. Plus, under the new CBA, even if we didn't sign the pick, we'd get a comp pick the next year in the exact same draft position, so theres no real risk.

I erally think it was a poor decision to not offer Hawkins arbitration.

Archived