St Louis Post-Dispatch : Best Shortstop Fit for the Cardinals is JJ Hardy

jamesenoch

If you are going to try to make your point by comparing Lynn to one of the greatest pitchers of all time I feel you've lost alot of credabilitity. Wondering if you're old enough to see Bob Gipson pitch.

Bob Gibson was a combination of Nolan Ryan and Greg Maddux in 1968. He had frightening stuff with pinpoint accuracy. Best pitcher I ever saw throw in a game. 1.12 ERA, NL MVP. He threw a stretch in that season of 99 innings and gave up 2 runs (one on a wild pitch and one on a bloop double just inches inside the line or otherwise he would make the scoreless inning streaks of Drysdale and Hershiser look pitiful.)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardy for either Shelby Miller or Lance Lynn would be terribly one-sided, in my opinion, unless Hardy signs an extension or the Orioles throw in some more players.

There are Cardinals fans would like to move Lance because of "Lynning" (his tendency to have one inning in most games in which he struggles). They acknowledge that if Lynn can get past that one inning, he's virtually undefeatable.

Even Bob Gibson seemed to have "Lynning" problems at times, but that didn't stop him from having a BIG career. It's far too early to project Lynn as another Gibson, but he's well on his way in terms of wins at age 26 with 33 in his first two full seasons.

I think Lynn has room for improvement in his maturity and composure. With that, he would establish himself as one of the best pitchers in baseball. So I'm just fine with the Orioles not having any interest in him. However, I doubt if that is true.

Lynn is not very good, and would be worse in the AL East.

Cardinals fans seem to be the worst when it comes to overvaluing their own guys.

If you are going to try to make your point by comparing Lynn to one of the greatest pitchers of all time I feel you've lost alot of credabilitity. Wondering if you're old enough to see Bob Gipson pitch.

Not only have I watched Bob Gibson pitch, I can recall Harry Carey discussing how other teams had to get to Gibby in the first inning or have little chance of getting to him at all.

Gibson was a fast worker, often finishing a game within 2 hours if he was matched up with another pitcher who didn't fool around.

Recalling how Carey used to talk about Gibson's first inning difficulties, I once went back through all his splits for each season. I couldn't find any statistical evidence that the first inning was significantly different from any other. Yes, there were occasions where Gibson lost his game in the first inning, but I now suspect that Carey was blowing this perceived problem up way out of proportion. Carey had a habit of disparaging Cardinals players if he got down on them.

I think some Cardinals fans are that way about "Lynning". I've found that when fans develop a theory, they become oblivious to facts pointing in a different direction.

Gibson was the kind of pitcher that comes along only once in a century for most teams. I was not comparing Lynn to Gibson so much as I was comparing his "Lynning" problem with the first inning problems of Gibson.

Gibson was the kind of pitcher that comes along only once in a century for most teams. I was not comparing Lynn to Gibson so much as I was comparing his "Lynning" problem with the first inning problems of Gibson.

Like most great pitchers, if you do not get to them early, you won't. That was Gibson. Not Lynn.

Archived