David Freese for Peter Bourjos is official

Greg

I see a fairly even deal. Cardinals get a CF who has battled injuries but when healthy has posted a 5 WAR season, and a 22 year old outfielder who has flashed solid power in the minors. The Angels get a third baseman coming off a down year, but who was an all-star in 2012. Also they get a solid reliever with postseason experience. Now they can start Calhoun in right, a guy who has OPSed .943 in the minors and who's worst wRC+ in the minors has been 121. 100 is average of course. That's important to note since he has played in the hitter firendly Pacific Coast League. So while I do like the deal for St. Louis, I also love it for the Angels. Third base is a hard position to find value at these days and Freese has been an all star.

Freese has arthritic ankles resulting from repairs for injuries incurred in an auto accident a couple years ago. For a while, it was questionable if he could ever play again. His glove and arm are great but his range is limited. At least he'll be able to DH for the Angels -- whenever Pujols doesn't have it tied up.

MLB seems to think the Cardinals got the better of this deal. I think they're right.

Salas has good stuff but fans were groaning when he came into games. Several were beseeching Mozeliak to trade Salas so that Matheny wouldn't be able to use him anymore.

Freese has arthritic ankles resulting from repairs for injuries incurred in an auto accident a couple years ago. For a while, it was questionable if he could ever play again. His glove and arm are great but his range is limited. At least he'll be able to DH for the Angels -- whenever Pujols doesn't have it tied up.

MLB seems to think the Cardinals got the better of this deal. I think they're right.

Salas has good stuff but fans were groaning when he came into games. Several were beseeching Mozeliak to trade Salas so that Matheny wouldn't be able to use him anymore.

Considering Freese's health concerns I tend to agree with you. The reason I'm excited for the Angels is because Calhoun can really rake and I'm excited to see him get a lot of playing time in the outfield. But yes they are taking a risk by betting on David to stay healthy.

Archived