Same old Os offseason... sigh

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Blue Jays were the big winners last November.

And the Marlins were the big winners the year before.

In February of 2012, 29 out of 50 (58%) of E.S.P.N. panelist had picked them to either win their division, or get one of the 2 wildcard spots.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/page/12expertpicks/espn-expert-team-predictions-2012-baseball-season

And the E.S.P.N. sportswriters/panelists/experts were not alone in their assessment(s).

I've always understood your passion for the team and your frustration that things don't ever look great on paper, but what I never understand is why never seem to see the bright spots in Oriole signings (or not signings) that do occur and actually pan out.

As a reminder, last off season you started similar threads imploring DD to sign Hamilton, Bourn, Marcum and to trade Tillman. When he didn't, you claimed they didn't do enough.

They didn't do enough. I did hope for Hamilton and wanted them to make a trade package to get better pitching and at least 1 bonafide DH.

Talking about the mistakes other teams made as a justification for standing pat doesn't change the fact that the Orioles didn't improve by adding pieces, they just hoped for the best.

I don't want them to "hope," I want them to take action.

MSK

This is the usual off season. The Orioles are rumored to be interested in some top free agent. Then a thread is posted on here about why the Orioles should or should not get top free agent. They never get any of those guys. Interest is one thing . Getting that person is another. Sort of like the computer geek interested in the hot blonde at work. Interested but never get her unless he is Bill Gates.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to centralpaosfan again.

Bless you sir.

MSK

Unfortunately, when you have well respected posters who know a little something about the baseball team say things like this:

I will be surprised if we can afford Feldman

It makes this the apparent strategy:

I don't want to cross my fingers and hope a light bulb goes on for guys like Britton.

If we can't "afford" Scott Feldman and we are playing in a division with Boston and New York, who we face for nearly 1/4 of the season. It offers me little hope.

I will admit that I believed that this organization would be more aggressive after the 2012 season. But it stood pat and ultimately got worse. Nothing I am hearing this offseason gives me warm fuzzies. I am not advocating spending foolishly or acting foolishly, but when we are having heartburn over signing Scott Feldman that is pretty disheartening.

I have lost hope that this organization will ever be consistent winners without new owners with deep deep pockets who are willing to spend and take risks when the situation calls for it.

This is the usual off season. The Orioles are rumored to be interested in some top free agent. Then a thread is posted on here about why the Orioles should or should not get top free agent. They never get any of those guys. Interest is one thing . Getting that person is another. Sort of like the computer geek interested in the hot blonde at work. Interested but never get her unless he is Bill Gates.

To use your example, I think the frustration comes because the geek wants the chick but doesn't ever ask her out. You never know if she'll say no if you don't at least ask her out.

The Orioles act like they want the hot free agents, but they never make the move to actually bring them in. Then they sit back and make excuses about how we never had a chance when they sign with the popular kid, the Yanks or Sox or other big spenders.

The lack of activity is frustrating. I feel annoyed that other clubs are making moves too, particularly since we could be making moves to become legit contenders.

But its early. You can't get this upset already. There is realistically very slim odds that they will actually make the right moves, but saying it now before the Winter Meetings is very premature.

Seeing as how we don't need Peralta or McCann, it's hard for me to get upset over this...

This.

Additionally, the Peralta signing probably takes a major potential suitor away from the Hardy free agency negotiations next winter if we do not extend him. This signing actually may help keep the cost of re-signing him down. Same with McCann's signing as related to Wieters after 2015, although to a lesser degree.

I understand that agents will naturally point to the most insane contracts as being comps for their clients, but unless teams fall for that tactic, it really shouldn't work if the most free-spending teams are not in the market at a given position.

It seems to me that sometimes insane signings only leave the saner teams remaining in the hunt for the remaining available free agents at a given position. If they maintain their sanity and refuse to panic, it should work out OK. For example, we didn't see all the other teams rush out and emulate the Werth signing.

Ok lets see, where do I begin.

McCann to NY- bodes well for us for the Wieters negotiations. Check

Peralta to Cards- A Biogenesis guy won't be coming to Baltimore to play out of position. Check

Tigers traded Fielder to Texas for an aging second baseman for an overweight power hitting first baseman. I will stick with our 50 HR Crush machine that mans first base for the Orioles. Check

Bourjos for Freese- The O's already have a solid outfield in AJ, Nicky, and hopefully bring back McClouth and hopefully spelled by Urruita who tore it up in the AZ Fall league. Freese is injury prone. Check

Anything else?

Yea but of course we have heard nothing about an extension for our "50 HR Crush machine" have we?

To use your example, I think the frustration comes because the geek wants the chick but doesn't ever ask her out. You never know if she'll say no if you don't at least ask her out.

The Orioles act like they want the hot free agents, but they never make the move to actually bring them in. Then they sit back and make excuses about how we never had a chance when they sign with the popular kid, the Yanks or Sox or other big spenders.

Didn't you know "We are waiting for the market to set".

Unfortunately, when you have well respected posters who know a little something about the baseball team say things like this:

It makes this the apparent strategy:

If we can't "afford" Scott Feldman and we are playing in a division with Boston and New York, who we face for nearly 1/4 of the season. It offers me little hope.

I will admit that I believed that this organization would be more aggressive after the 2012 season. But it stood pat and ultimately got worse. Nothing I am hearing this offseason gives me warm fuzzies. I am not advocating spending foolishly or acting foolishly, but when we are having heartburn over signing Scott Feldman that is pretty disheartening.

I have lost hope that this organization will ever be consistent winners without new owners with deep deep pockets who are willing to spend and take risks when the situation calls for it.

By afford, I meant that his price tag has escalated, and I do not think that the Orioles have increased their budget the way we might all have hoped. I am concerned that Scott Feldman gets a three year 27 million dollar contract somewhere. I do not think that is in the Orioles budget as I see it.

The lack of activity is frustrating. I feel annoyed that other clubs are making moves too, particularly since we could be making moves to become legit contenders.

But its early. You can't get this upset already. There is realistically very slim odds that they will actually make the right moves, but saying it now before the Winter Meetings is very premature.

Yeah. Yep. Yes.

People keep bringing up the Blue Jays or Marlins as proof that signing FA's doesn't work. Then apparently, what does work is signing 7 mid range FA's as the Red Sox did last off season indeed does work! So, how about the Orioles signing 7 mid range FA's? Works for me.

Archived