Cord Phelps claimed by Orioles

Baltoravensrule

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So then you're suggesting no one comment on anything until the offseason is over? That would make for a fun place to "hangout."

watching_paint_dry.jpg

Care to find where it is that I said that? Because you won't. Every team makes moves like this every single offseason, and nobody thinks anything of it. Teams need depth, AAA needs players, it happens all the time. Somehow around here, this logic goes out the window and the winter meetings haven't even happened. Like I said, I don't expect the Orioles will do much of anything. But, this isn't about having an engaging conversation. This is more of the same self-loathing, B&M'ing, and complaining about absolutely nothing. When the Orioles have actually given something to complain about, made or not made a trade that didn't make sense, then I can understand it. Instead, a move like this, which again, every single team in baseball makes this time of year, draws it.

Care to find where it is that I said that? Because you won't. Every team makes moves like this every single offseason, and nobody thinks anything of it. Teams need depth, AAA needs players, it happens all the time. Somehow around here, this logic goes out the window and the winter meetings haven't even happened. Like I said, I don't expect the Orioles will do much of anything. But, this isn't about having an engaging conversation. This is more of the same self-loathing, B&M'ing, and complaining about absolutely nothing. When the Orioles have actually given something to complain about, made or not made a trade that didn't make sense, then I can understand it. Instead, a move like this, which again, every single team in baseball makes this time of year, draws it.
You don't think every team in baseball has made moves like this since the season ended? Just because you don't hear about them, or think that they do, doesn't mean that they don't happen. Somehow, they never get reported. But, the Orioles do it and it's the end of the world, business as usual, etc. Spare me. I've no expectations they're going to do anything earth shattering. But seriously, every single move really doesn't have to devolve right back into the same thing over and over again. When they offseason has played out and there's real evidence to go off, then I'll say I whether I'm disappointed or happy at what they did. Until that happens, people need to chill and stop getting their panties tied up over moves that mean absolutely nothing, and that EVERY SINGLE TEAM DOES.

So there is YOUR quote. You're essentially saying that you'll make your statement at the end of the offseason, and until then there is no reason to analyze any of the moves or non moves.

So again, what shall we do while we're sitting around waiting for the offseason to end?

So there is YOUR quote. You're essentially saying that you'll make your statement at the end of the offseason, and until then there is no reason to analyze any of the moves or non moves.

So again, what shall we do while we're sitting around waiting for the offseason to end?

I'm thinking a Kickstarter campaign to help the O's sign a free agent could work.

I don't see him being much different than Flaherty.

They are close in age - Phelps is about six months younger.

The last comparable age in the minors was when they were both 24:

Phelps - 868 OPS at AAA

Flaherty - 824 OPS mainly at AA, but also some AAA

At age 23:

Phelps - 825 OPS - most ABs at AAA, but also at AA

Flaherty - 756 OPS almost entirely at high A ball

Phelps looks like he has slightly outhit Flaherty at higher levels when at the same age.

I suppose Flaherty is more versatile defensively, with Phelps almost exclusively playing 2B.

Just my quick look at it I'd say Phelps is better offensively and Flaherty more versatile defensively.

They are close in age - Phelps is about six months younger.

The last comparable age in the minors was when they were both 24:

Phelps - 868 OPS at AAA

Flaherty - 824 OPS mainly at AA, but also some AAA

At age 23:

Phelps - 825 OPS - most ABs at AAA, but also at AA

Flaherty - 756 OPS almost entirely at high A ball

Phelps looks like he has slightly outhit Flaherty at higher levels when at the same age.

I suppose Flaherty is more versatile defensively, with Phelps almost exclusively playing 2B.

Just my quick look at it I'd say Phelps is better offensively and Flaherty more versatile defensively.

And, Manny is injured. And Brian Roberts and Casilla are not Orioles.

I think the whining, whiny whiners are whining before their time. I'm sure that there will be reason and time enough for whining - and wining, for that matter - but on Nov 25th, that whining is premature. Perfectly appropriate to expound on Phelps as an acquisition, but it really should be kept in context. If this were the last move of the offseason, I'd gladly join the bloodletting crowd. I'm fairly confident it's not.

I'm not confident that any additional moves will be game changers - I just choose to wait to cry until I'm sure that's the case.

In the past two seasons the team has won 93 games and 85 games. Lot of the work was done during the MacPhail era - but Dan has made some good signings and some good deals to help the team. Moreover, I think our overall system and the way we do business has really improved. We haven't made any splashes, but I am not sure I would be complaining about the way he does business.

Yeppers, business as normal.

Other teams are signing real free agents, and we are dumpster diving.

I hate these responses. The Orioles do this every year. The Orioles are 1) not signing Cord Phelps to be the starting second baseman next year 2) not doing this to piss you off.

Every year I've been very active in the Minor league section of this website analyzing the small roster moves and I will say this:

This is a depth move; something that Andy MacPhail NEVER did. When DD came to the Orioles he signed so many players at the start of the season I scratched my head wondering where he was going to put them all. He never failed to have a place for all of them. The difference between what Duquette was able to do that MacPhail or Flanagan couldn't was that he could get this team to September and not be scraping the barrel for relievers or bench players. It's MARKEDLY different under Dan. It's better under Dan. It shows in that he's got two straight winning seasons where the guys before that couldn't muster up a single one. His calculating moves for low risk high payoff players are amazing.

We have posts like this every year when the Orioles fail to make big moves early.

Guess who else hasn't made big moves: Boston (exercised Lester's option!). Detroit (signed no-one!). Los Angeles (big Joe Smith!). Texas (Geovany Soto!). Atlanta (signed no-one!). Cincinnati (Skip Schumaker!).

Please. Don't act like the Orioles are alone in the "sitting pretty" column.

Archived