How to spend 10.8 million dollars on your bullpen

centralpaosfan

This is the silliest Jim Johnson post yet. Most of these guys are in arb or on some sort of 2 or 3 year deal, so I could go into detail about how the fact that JJ's arb deal will be only one year limits the inherent risk of signing relievers. But your math is so bad I'm just going to focus on that.

In his 2nd year of arb. Projected to make $3.6M per MLBTR.

On a 2 yr $6.75M deal. With the uneven split, he's making $4.25M in 2014. Spreading the cost evenly, $3.375M.

Signed for 2/$8M. With the uneven split, it's $5.5M in 2014. Spread evenly, $4M.

Due to the signing bonus and player option, he has a contract that works out to $5M per season.

Coming off surgery, he's expected to sign with Detroit. I'll assume he'll make $2M in 2014 just to be nice to you - but he's going to make more than $2M. MLBTR is projecting a 1/$8.5M deal.

MLBTR is projecting a $4.9M salary in year 1 of arb. That sounds pretty high, so let's drop it to $4M.

Kimbrel will be in his first year of arb as well. MLBTR is projecting $7.25M.

I'm going to assume you weren't trying to make a point as puerile as "pre-arb players don't cost much" and instead suggest you can't add. Here's the math:

3.6 + 3.375 + 4 + 5 + 2 (probably actually 8.5) + 4 + 7.25 = $29.225 million for this set of mostly early-arb players next season.

I respectfully suggest the mods retitle the thread with the more realistic number.

Thank you for doing the actual math and making it clear that the option, even if these players were available is quite different than the OP posited.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paying Jim 10.8m this year is a joke. Get a player that can help the team win. Hunter can do what Johnson does.

So you think that Hunter would save 100 games in two years? Now I am not

saying ten million for JJ is correct way to go. But saying Hunter can do what JJ

has done is incorrect. IMO

Your kidding right? What RP on this team can give you 101 sv at an 89 sv% over the next two years? We don't have any one who is effective getting both LH and RH batters out, let alone being that consistent with saves.

The number of saves is irrelevant. 89% rate, I am guessing anyone in the bullpen last year could have done it. The save, is extremely over rated.

The number of saves is irrelevant. 89% rate, I am guessing anyone in the bullpen last year could have done it. The save, is extremely over rated.

Yep and if I was looking at it the only ones I'd care about are 1 run saves or the very rare ones with inherited runners.

Your guess would be wrong. JJ was one of a few RP in our pen who was effective v both LH and RH bats. We don't have any one outside of possibly Gausman in our pen currently, who can close besides JJ. Not Hunter, or O'Day, You really want to close with TJ, Matusz, Patton or Stinson. Sure if we are a rebuilding team. I'm not against trading JJ, but we will still have to sign a replacement, so we won't be saving the whole 10M.

Your guess would be wrong. JJ was one of a few RP in our pen who was effective v both LH and RH bats. We don't have any one outside of possibly Gausman in our pen currently, who can close besides JJ. Not Hunter, or O'Day, You really want to close with TJ, Matusz, Patton or Stinson. Sure if we are a rebuilding team. I'm not against trading JJ, but we will still have to sign a replacement, so we won't be saving the whole 10M.

JJ was not " effective" against anyone last year.

Archived