Bloomberg says Camden Yards was a stupid idea

mojmann

The more I read from you on this subject the more I realize how right Sports Guy was about you. If you don't think the added bar scene was not helped by the Ravens and Orioles being in town then you don't understand economics at all.

How many bars in the Maryland area make money off people watching Ravens games? How many people go out to dinner at a place that has TVs so they can watch the Orioles games during the summer? How many people buy Orioles and Ravens clothing and memorabilia from shops in around Baltimore? Maybe not all of these are in Baltimore, and I'm certainly not arguing that the ownership are getting the best end of the deal, but economic impact of having major sport teams is huge.

Inner city issues has nothing to do with sports teams as every city have the same issues. Sports are a major way for a lot of people to pass time, spend time with their friends and family and a way for cities to have something to feel pride in. New York and Paris can be the havens for culture. I'll take my Orioles, Ravens, a sports bar, Fells point, the inner harbor, a theater, a good concert hall (The Civic center needs to be replaced) and even throw in the the National aquarium and I'll be a happy man in Baltimore. I'll go to DC if I want to see a National-level museum Mr. Taglibue!

Everytime we disagree on a subject you get all bent out of shape. Fells Points bars had more people going to them before Camden Yards existed. A lot of the Fells Point bar traffic has shifted to Canton and Federal Hill.

I am stating economic issues you are arguing about non-economic isues. You are stating they are a benefit to you. No one is arguing that. No one is arguing that for people on this board that new stadiums are a benefit. What is the argument is whether that investment dollars in a stadium could be used to benefit the community better. And I for the Ravens stadium I say absolutely.

As for every city having the same issues that is not true at all. Munich has next to no crime or poverty. San Francisco doesn't have the same issues Baltimore does. Baltimore is extremely violent. There is a lot of poverty. The argument behind the stadiums was that they would help Baltimore. Have it? I don't Ravens Stadium has done anything positively economically for Baltimore.

You don't like culture but that doesn't mean it doesn't help the city to have culture to draw in money from out of town. Drawing money from in town is just shifting dollars around. If someone goes to a Ravens game instead of buying something clothes at the mall how does that help the economy?

People will spend their money. Going to one bar over another doesn't mean anything. I went to bars in Towson to see the game during the playoffs last year I am sure I would have just spent that money on a restaurant if I didn't see the Ravens games at the bar.

Anyway you started a personal attack which I feel is uncalled for.

As for understanding Economics I took several economics courses in College for which I received A's. I guess that doesn't mean I understand it perfectly but I have attempted to understand them and it interests me and I read the Wall Street Journal every morning.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't tell if you're serious, but I am probably the only person in Maryland who would rather have kept the CFL Colts than stolen the Browns. I actually went to Toronto for a weekend just to see some Canadian football.

I was serious. That is how the city lured the NFL back. I am serious. I am old enough to have been an original Colts fan. I have no idea how that name was allowed to leave with the Irsays.

I was serious. That is how the city lured the NFL back. I am serious. I am old enough to have been an original Colts fan. I have no idea how that name was allowed to leave with the Irsays.

The owner of the team also owns the rights to the name.

Modell knew Baltimore was hurting for losing the name of the Colts, and didnt want to do that to Cleveland, so he took $$$ and moved to Baltimore and had a contest for the new name.

Look how many times the Raiders have moved.

St Louis became Arizona and stayed the Cardinals.

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis and stayed the Rams.

The owner of the team also owns the rights to the name.

Modell knew Baltimore was hurting for losing the name of the Colts, and didnt want to do that to Cleveland, so he took $$$ and moved to Baltimore and had a contest for the new name.

Look how many times the Raiders have moved.

St Louis became Arizona and stayed the Cardinals.

The Rams moved from LA to St. Louis and stayed the Rams.

There was some sort of agreement in place that if Baltimore acquired an NFL team by a certain date the name Colts would revert back to Baltimore. The city did not meet that goal.

I understand, but teams have kept their nicknames in most moves. Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves ( Eddie Mathews played for all 3)

New York/San Francisco Giants

Brooklyn/LA Dodgers

Cleveland/LA Rams

Minneapolis/LA Lakers

Chicago/St.Louis/Arizona Cardinals

Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics

Milwaukee/St. Louis/Atlanta Hawks

Fort Wayne/Detroit Pistons

San Diego/LA Clippers

Philadelphia/San Francisco/Golden State Warriors

New Orleans/Utah Jazz (yep Utah is famous for their jazz :rofl:)

Oakland/LA/Oakland Raiders

Baltimore/Capital/Washington Bullets (Later changed to Wizards over public outcry about violent crime--not because the team name was stolen from Baltimore)

I can't tell if you're serious, but I am probably the only person in Maryland who would rather have kept the CFL Colts than stolen the Browns. I actually went to Toronto for a weekend just to see some Canadian football.

You weren't the only one. During one of the last Stallions games in Baltimore, I was a reporter shadowing Jim Speros for the day. I'll never forget when he came out of the tunnel, there was a huge chant of "Art Modell can go to hell!"

Hard to believe, but true.

People didn't embrace the Browns right away.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>!! More at 5:45 pm on <a href="https://twitter.com/WNEW">@WNEW</a> MT <a href="https://twitter.com/SegravesNBC4">@SegravesNBC4</a> The <a href="https://twitter.com/Nationals">@Nationals</a> asking DC taxpayers to spend $300 million to install a roof over Nats Ballpark.</p>— John Domen (@JDonWNEW) <a href="

">November 26, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Isn't this a hoot! Talk about Robber Barons.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>!! More at 5:45 pm on <a href="https://twitter.com/WNEW">@WNEW</a> MT <a href="https://twitter.com/SegravesNBC4">@SegravesNBC4</a> The <a href="https://twitter.com/Nationals">@Nationals</a> asking DC taxpayers to spend $300 million to install a roof over Nats Ballpark.</p>— John Domen (@JDonWNEW) <a href="

Isn't this a hoot! Talk about Robber Barons.

Is this an April Fools joke. Like Christmas in July.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Ted Lerner met with Mayor Gray with a proposal for a $300 million retractable roof over Nats Park. Gray was "shocked," said no.</p>— Adam Kilgore (@AdamKilgoreWP) <a href="

Is this an April Fools joke. Like Christmas in July.

It is a guy who is just trying to straight steal from the public. Not little bites at a time, but all in one. I am sure that half of that money would get funneled back through his companies.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>To be clear: the team currently getting hammered for trying to get a free $300 million roof is still having the best week of any DC team</p>— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) <a href="

Archived