Orioles reportedly one of the "front runners" for Samardzija

section36

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with that, too. I'd rather not do it for Samardzija who signing might turn into a problem no different from that which we are experiencing with Wieters right now.

Actually it is already the exact same issue that we have right now. That is why the Cubs are looking to move Samardzija, since it doesn't look like they will be able to extend him. Both Samardzija and Wieters have 2 years remaining until free agency.

Actually it is already the exact same issue that we have right now. That is why the Cubs are looking to move Samardzija, since it doesn't look like they will be able to extend him. Both Samardzija and Wieters have 2 years remaining until free agency.

That was my point. They are different people, though, different agents. You don't know how open he would be to extending, but it's the same situation all over again. Seems foolish.

That was my point. They are different people, though, different agents. You don't know how open he would be to extending, but it's the same situation all over again. Seems foolish.
I think the idea is two years of Smardzija at about 9M beats two years of Wieters at 18M and two years of Samardzija at 9M saves us 8M we would have had to spend on two years of Feldman, so maybe we could spend that extra money on a LF?

I think the idea is two years of Smardzija at about 9M beats two years of Wieters at 18M and two years of Samardzija at 9M saves us 8M we would have had to spend on two years of Feldman, so maybe we could spend that extra money on a LF?

As weams has pointed out in the other thread that works, if it's a straight up trade I'd be ok with that. Or throwing in another minor piece. Just no Bundy or Gausman.

Assuming you have a catcher for Smardzija to throw to.

Point being that the O's do not have a option at C in house that I would feel comfortable with as an every day catcher who is not named Matt Weiters.

Honestly if the idea is to improve the team now and in the future I am not entirely sure how trading Weiters for Smardzija even straight up makes any sense the more I think about it. You still have a guy with signability issues and while he would be a great addition to the rotation you now have a gaping hole at catcher. Last but not least I think there is less chance that Pete ponies up money to sign a P like Smardzija than Weiters.

Smardzija is a very good pitcher. He is not however an Ace/TOR or whatever you want to call it. The worst thing the O's could do is move a guy who has the value that Matt does and end up in 3 yrs with nothing on their roster to point to as a result of that. They would be better off getting a guy or two who are on the cusp and under control moving forward. Guys who can compliment players like Machado, Jones, Gausman, Bundy, ERod, perhaps Schoop etc.

The trade should be Wieters for Smardzija and Castillo. If the Cubs balk at that hang up the phone.

I feel pretty safe saying the Cubs would laugh their heads off at that one.

Castillo is no Wieters but he is not a scrub either. I am thinking the Cubs would want to get back more than just Wieters if Castillo was involved.

Maybe you swing a deal that included Wieters and one of Matusz/Britton/some other mid level arm and maybe another B level prospect

Castillo is no Wieters but he is not a scrub either. I am thinking the Cubs would want to get back more than just Wieters if Castillo was involved.

Maybe you swing a deal that included Wieters and one of Matusz/Britton/some other mid level arm and maybe another B level prospect

If Arizona and Toronto are interested in Samardzija, I have to think the Cubs will have leverage to ask for one of Guasman/Bundy.

He has a higher career OPS+ than Wieters, rated a 2.8 dWAR last year, is under control for the ML minimum, isn't arb eligible until 2015 and and isn't a FA until 2018.

Yeah, I think ths is the sort of thing you aim for. Maybe a higher rated pitching prospect not named Bundy or Gaussman.

He has a higher career OPS+ than Wieters, rated a 2.8 dWAR last year, is under control for the ML minimum, isn't arb eligible until 2015 and and isn't a FA until 2018.

Yeah, I think ths is the sort of thing you aim for. Maybe a higher rated pitching prospect not named Bundy or Gaussman.

Would you go as high as Wieters/ERod/Britton for him and Castillo?

Archived