Churchill's latest - M's don't want to trade Jones?

JTrea81

Guest rochester
This is current news IMO. It makes sense though, Seattle was probably ready to trade him this weekend so they yanked him from Winter Ball and then backed out so they let him play again. It now appears that the holdup is on Seattle's end. We are ready to trade Bedard to the M's IMO, but are still waiting for Seattle to make up their mind.

We need to force their hand by starting to intensify talks with the Angels. If they land Bedard, Seattle has no chance at that division despite all the money they've sunk into that team. You would think Seattle wouldn't want that...

Someone else other than Angelos pulled a trade? :eek:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the sounds of that alot. Im not as high on Jones as some people are either. Though I can see Wieters being the player everyone wnats but no one can have.

It's obvious that McPhail is after a CF - I don't see why that's anything but understanable given where we are. Patterson is not a long term answer.

If you're not that high on Jones - who do you think (among the rumored available) would be the best fit for a trade?

I don't see Bedard for Bruce being a smart move given the amount of risk we assume (sorry, Dave Magadan was supposed to be the second coming of Joe D).

Do you think Pie is a better option? Rasmus? <Insert your favorite CF prospect here>.

We need help - we need numbers - we need to trade Bedard somewhere where he's not going to remind us 7-8 times / year that we let him go.

I get the Angelos aspect on this - even if we hit a close offer from the AL East, I would prefer to get him outta here.

I wonder if all of a sudden Seattle has no interest in dealing Jones (and in turn no real interest in getting Bedard) because we haven't heard anything about the Angels being in it lately.

Seems like a case of the Sox/Yankees trying to block or one up each other. I wish the Angels would wake up tomorrow and decide they HAVE to keep him away from SEA, I really like some of their prospects.

I wonder if all of a sudden Seattle has no interest in dealing Jones (and in turn no real interest in getting Bedard) because we haven't heard anything about the Angels being in it lately.

Seems like a case of the Sox/Yankees trying to block or one up each other. I wish the Angels would wake up tomorrow and decide they HAVE to keep him away from SEA, I really like some of their prospects.

Seattle has interest in Bedard, as do most teams, because they know he is an ace pitcher. Every team needs and wants an ace. Most teams aren't willing to give up the farm to get him. Some are considering trading for not because they want to keep their division rival from getting him, but to greatly improve their team. Seattle knows with the addition of Bedard, with Felix, they have a great one-two punch and they will have a better shot of making the playoffs and winning the division.

Seattle has interest in Bedard, as do most teams, because they know he is an ace pitcher. Every team needs and wants an ace. Most teams aren't willing to give up the farm to get him. Some are considering trading for not because they want to keep their division rival from getting him, but to greatly improve their team. Seattle knows with the addition of Bedard, with Felix, they have a great one-two punch and they will have a better shot of making the playoffs and winning the division.

This is a point worth highlighting. WE know what Bedard is - we know that if Bedard would be willing to sign a long term deal with the Orioles & based on McPhail philosophy on the value of pitching, Bedard would be locked up and a fixture in the rotation for years to come.

The only reason there's such a great trade buzz is that he is not interested in signing long term with the Orioles, he won't be here during the Orioles contending years and therefore he's on the market.

This is the time for teams like Seattle, who are obviously overmatched in their division but have the support of ownership to go for it. If they're not serious about winning it this year, they really are not a good trade partner - Bedard is a piece that puts you over the top, not establish the foundation for winning in the years to come.

To Churchill and the rest of the Seattle fans - choose your side without qualifying it - get on the Mariners win in '08 bus or get back on the Mariners wait until next year trolly.

There's really no in-between on this - if I'm McPhail, I play total hardball. What do we (or McPhail / O's) care if the Mariners continue to win 85 games and miss the playoffs or not?

It just starts with Jones - and that's not all folks.

This is a point worth highlighting. WE know what Bedard is - we know that if Bedard would be willing to sign a long term deal with the Orioles & based on McPhail philosophy on the value of pitching, Bedard would be locked up and a fixture in the rotation for years to come.

The only reason there's such a great trade buzz is that he is not interested in signing long term with the Orioles, he won't be here during the Orioles contending years and therefore he's on the market.

This is the time for teams like Seattle, who are obviously overmatched in their division but have the support of ownership to go for it. If they're not serious about winning it this year, they really are not a good trade partner - Bedard is a piece that puts you over the top, not establish the foundation for winning in the years to come.

To Churchill and the rest of the Seattle fans - choose your side without qualifying it - get on the Mariners win in '08 bus or get back on the Mariners wait until next year trolly.

There's really no in-between on this - if I'm McPhail, I play total hardball. What do we (or McPhail / O's) care if the Mariners continue to win 85 games and miss the playoffs or not?

So Pruke you agree with what I was saying?

So Pruke you agree with what I was saying?

I would say based on that Rant, I do indeed agree with you.

Bedard is a piece that puts team over the top. If they're not interested in making the move (or taking that risk), then there's no point in us moving him to that team - we will not get the appropriate return, period.

I would say based on that Rant, I do indeed agree with you.

Bedard is a piece that puts team over the top. If they're not interested in making the move (or taking that risk), then there's no point in us moving him to that team - we will not get the appropriate return, period.

For teams that are a borderline playoff team like and have a good division rival like Seattle does, accuiring Bedard would make them that much better and make it easier for them to compete. Seattle has the talent offensively and a great bullpen, so just adding Bedard to a rotation that has three pitchers that had atleast 10 wins last season pretty much garuantees they make it to the playoffs.

So if they don't want to make this trade and give up top talent then they aren't fully in the win now mode like you said Pruke.

For teams that are a borderline playoff team like and have a good division rival like Seattle does, accuiring Bedard would make them that much better and make it easier for them to compete. Seattle has the talent offensively and a great bullpen, so just adding Bedard to a rotation that has three pitchers that had atleast 10 wins last season pretty much garuantees they make it to the playoffs.

So if they don't want to make this trade and give up top talent then they aren't fully in the win now mode like you said Pruke.

Roger that. I just think some clubs are about winning 1) All the time (see Yankees / Red Sox) 2) winning at the right moment (Tigers, White Sox when they're close, Mets if they think they have a chance or 3) winning if they happen into it (Dodgers, Angels, Indians, etc...

Everyone else just hopes for a Marlins moment.... or accepts losing for A) the purpose of rebuilding for a winner or B) selling tickets and keeping fans coming depsite not having realistic expectations.

I'm glad we're moving in the sell if all off mode - it's been so long coming. It's like a crumby house that you keep painting over the rotting wood and crumbling foundation - just demolish the thing and build the right foundation.

I definitely think we are about winning and the O's are lucky to have such a good fan base that wants to win the team badly. The front office is on the right track as far as developing young talent, but they are still a few years away.

They've shown the willingness to try and trade away are best players to build for the future. I'm very frustrated with the lack of moves, but when I put things in prospective I am very excited for our future. This year and probably next year are probably going to be very rough winning wise, but the future looks bright:D .

This is a great post. I have been saying this all along. We should be in the driver's seat with these trades...not the Mariners, Reds, Cubs, or any other team. Erik Bedard is a true ace with Cy Young potential written all over him. And yet...we keep seeing reports about the Mariners not wanting to give up this prospect, or that prospect. It is absurd. Do they want to win this year or not? If I were AM, I would tell the Mariners "this is who we want for Erik Bedard...you have 24 hours to decide. If not, we are pulling the offer off the table and you can find someone else to be the ace of your staff". It absolutely should not be the Mariners saying "this is who we will give you for Bedard". I'm glad that AM has not pulled the trigger if all these reports are true about the Mariners not wanting to give up players x, y, or z. But it's time to s**t or get off the pot. The games are getting old. Players of Bedard's caliber are not available via a trade that often and if the Mariners want to play games, close that door. Heck...threaten to trade him to the Angels...that should cause some concern for them. Sorry for the rant...I am just frustrated.

Archived