How is Roberts Not Your Leadoff Hitter?

BillySmith

It just seems plain to me that Brian Roberts will start at 2B and bat leadoff.

Flaherty is perfect as super utility and can probably play everywhere except centerfield and catcher. He gives Buck some valued roster flexibility.

Schoop is not ready and no one else is much of a consideration in my mind.

Leadoff candidates would be McLouth (if we resign him), Reimold (if he's healthy), Markakis, someone outside the organization, and that's all I can think of.

The situation screams for Roberts to be signed and given a chance to lose the job.

I don't think he would be particularly good to have there, but I just don't see a viable alternative.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please no. It's time to move on from Brian Roberts. We have been waiting for that contract to run out for years and now you want to bring him back? He can barely play a decent second base anymore.

But decent second base is okay. And we could get him for cheap I bet.

I just don't see any great alternative. I suppose if you don't value the classic leadoff type (not that Roberts is anymore), it's not that big of a question. You only leadoff once, as they say.

NO! NO! NO!

You might only lead off once, but the leadoff hitter gets the most plate appearances on the team. That is part of what was so asinine about Hardy batting second, you don't maximize the at bats of the weakest hitters.

If Markakis can get his OBP up to his career averages then I would like to see him leading off..that's assuming McLouth isn't resigned. I do not want to see Roberts in any other spot than 9...I don't think it's the worst idea to bring him back for super cheap on a one year deal with the idea that he is keeping 2B warm until Flaherty or Schoop (maybe even Phelps?) are ready to take over. To be honest, that's probably his only shot at a major league job anyways...so I doubt you'd hear him complaining.

Maybe Choo could lead off? Maybe?

Why would you think that?

Players don't generally get better as they progress through their 30's.

I'd say it's possible. Roberts (1) was shaking off a few years of rust, (2) couldn't train for part of the offseason because of surgery he had, (3) missed time with his knee injury. If he has a full offseason to work out, and stays healthier next year, I could see him posting a .330ish OBP if things go his way. Of course, there's no guarantee that he does that, or that he stays healthy.

Archived