Samardzija for Wieters? Roch dreaming of Samardzija throwing to Saltalamacchia for Orioles

Roll Tide

The Cubs' asking price reportedly is steep and would require the Orioles to part with some young pitching that's close to being major league ready, which they're extremely reluctant to do. Reports of discussions centering on catcher Matt Wieters are speculative, but they take on a life of their own.

I'll repeat something I've written on the blog and stated on the air, and what one member of the organization pondered during a recent conversation. How do the Orioles obtain a much-needed innings-eater if they're not willing to fork over a four- or five-year deal and don't want to trade their top pitching prospects?

It's going to be a real challenge unless they win a pitching scratch-off.

I've become a splits kind of guy, and Samardzija is balanced. Right-handers and left-handers bat .246 against him. His 4.20 ERA at Wrigley Field isn't much different than his 4.19 ERA on the road.

Samardzija has posted a 4.38 ERA in the first half and a 3.99 ERA in the second.

It's my dream to write about a Samardzija-Saltalamacchia battery, and a trade with the Cubs would bring me halfway to my goal.

Fingers crossed. Tongue tied.

Mine are crossed as well. This would be the first message that the Orioles are serious about competing in years :pray:

ETA: Always provide the link to the article you're citing.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll repeat something I've written on the blog and stated on the air, and what one member of the organization pondered during a recent conversation. How do the Orioles obtain a much-needed innings-eater if they're not willing to fork over a four- or five-year deal and don't want to trade their top pitching prospects?

Nice to hear at least someone in the organization understands this.

If you're not willing to pay top dollar (i.e., market value) for the better FA's, and you're not willing to trade any ML players (that actually have value) and you're not willing to trade any of our top prospects (i.e., guys good enough to be in the league's top 50/100 prospects) ... then I 'm not sure how this team will ever improve; now, or in the future.

Mine are crossed as well. This would be the first message that the Orioles are serious about competing in years :pray:

I believe this is nuts on the Cubs part. If they need young almost ready pitchers

then why trade Jeff S? The O's don't have enough pitching prospects to make a

deal like that. As for Salty, well I wouldn't want him on the O's. He is just not very

good. IMO

If you're not willing to pay top dollar (i.e., market value) for the better FA's, and you're not willing to trade any ML players (that actually have value) and you're not willing to trade any of our top prospects (i.e., guys good enough to be in the league's top 50/100 prospects) ... then I 'm not sure how this team will ever improve; now, or in the future.

You just hope that you get really lucky in the draft process.

So whay you are saying is you think the orioles should trade Bundy and Gausman to the cubs for this guy?

So whay you are saying is you think the orioles should trade Bundy and Gausman to the cubs for this guy?

One definitely, but I don't think I'd do both. Especially if they're willing to take a package of one of them + Wieters. I would imagine you'd need a third piece though.

To me, though, the comment isn't directly pointed at Samardzija. More at the organizational philosophy this team has seemed to have had over multiple GM's and Managers. (The only real constant is the owner) You're never going to get top players in return if you're not willing to give anything of real value.

You just hope that you get really lucky in the draft process.

We've been hoping on this for the past 15+ years. How's that been working out?

Archived