Johnson may be traded per Rosenthal (Update: Johnson trade to A's for Weeks)

andrewrickli

Thanks for the info, Mikey. I would agree with Hank, though. We've seen these types of things get out of hand on here, and we'd like a little more accuracy...that's all.

I know that most here will appreciate your info. Please ignore those who give you a hard time.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. People that aren't in the baseball industry, need to realize that things change by the second.

And I'm not trying to insinuate that you're speculating b/c you've got your sources. But the fact that things can change by the second makes threads like this dangerous... ;)

Thanks buddy.

Not what Ken told it's what the baseball industry told me. I was an intern for the Nationals.

I meant the same thing as Hank.

I am not disbelieving you out of hand but if you say per Ken then you are better off quoting Ken then adding your take.

I certainly hope a deal gets done.

And I'm not trying to insinuate that you're speculating b/c you've got your sources. But the fact that things can change by the second makes threads like this dangerous... ;)

Thanks buddy.

I completely agree. However, I want to share what I have with you guys. I think most appreciate it.

I would support at Johnson for Ethier (or Kemp) type deal.

I would prefer Kemp. It would be a big risk/big reward type deal, but I'd definitely make the move.

Still, I think Johnson for Ethier is most realistic and would make a good deal of sense, the large contracts offset some. It's basically one bad contract for another. Only issue is Either is signed through 2017 so I would want a little $ back from 2015-2017, though with Markakis coming off the books soon, we may be able to eat most of it.

Ethier addresses one of our biggest concerns: OBP. Even in a down year last year, he had a 122 OPS+ and a .360 OBP. I think getting out of Dodger Stadium and to OPACY would help his power numbers, too. I could see him being a .280/.360/.460 guy again. An OF of Ethier/Jones/Markakis would be solid. I would then look to a Rajai Davis type 4th OFer to play against LHP giving both Markakis and Ethier breaks against LHPs.

I would support at Johnson for Ethier (or Kemp) type deal.

I would prefer Kemp. It would be a big risk/big reward type deal, but I'd definitely make the move.

Still, I think Johnson for Ethier is most realistic and would make a good deal of sense, the large contracts offset some. It's basically one bad contract for another. Only issue is Either is signed through 2017 so I would want a little $ back from 2015-2017, though with Markakis coming off the books soon, we may be able to eat most of it.

Ethier addresses one of our biggest concerns: OBP. Even in a down year last year, he had a 122 OPS+ and a .360 OBP. I think getting out of Dodger Stadium and to OPACY would help his power numbers, too. I could see him being a .280/.360/.460 guy again. An OF of Ethier/Jones/Markakis would be solid. I would then look to a Rajai Davis type 4th OFer to play against LHP giving both Markakis and Ethier breaks against LHPs.

I think this is the intellect

Here's Andre Ethier's contract:

2014: $15.5M

2015: $18M

2016: $18M

2017: $17.5M

2018: $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M buyout (Option vests if Ethier has 550 PAs in 2017 or 1100 PAs combined in 2016-2017)

I'd like to have Ethier on the team. But I'm only taking him back if the Dodgers pay A LOT of that salary, because having a likely declining 2-win OFer for five years and ~17M a year seems a lot worse financially than having a closer for ~10M but just one year.

2018: $17.5M Vesting Option, $2.5M buyout (Option vests if Ethier has 550 PAs in 2017 or 1100 PAs combined in 2016-2017)

I'd like to have Ethier on the team. But I'm only taking him back if the Dodgers pay A LOT of that salary, because having a likely declining 2-win OFer for five years and ~17M a year seems a lot worse financially than having a closer for ~10M but just one year.

Any idea if he has a no trade clause?

Wow...I didn't realize Ethier's contract was so high.

Yeah, I'd want about $20 million coming back. He's a good player, but I don't want to pay him that much.

I want to trade JJ, but I completely agree.

Archived