The Nationals just acquired Doug Fister

ChuckS

Is anyone else sick of seeing the Nationals make strong move after strong move to contend, while we stay pat with what we have? With our majority share of MASN this kind of ineptitude to make serious moves to compete is inexcusable.

I want to see this franchise do something that shows it is serious about contending (not pretending to contend) whether that is taking on salary in a trade or signing an impact free agent. We need to use our freaking resources.

I don't think there's a problem sticking a thread here w/r/t the O's specifically, seeing as Detroit has been talked about so much as a trade partner for pitching.

I really hate this deal. My #1 (reasonable) wish this offseason was Porcello, who is now most likely not moving anywhere. And it's painful to see how little the Nats gave up for him -- not sure how differently they rated Fister and Porcello, but I'd have been happy if we gave up a similar haul for either.

So, in exchange for Fister, the Nationals surrendered a non-elite pitching prospect who has pitched a half season at Double-A and probably won’t rank in anyone’s Top 100 next spring, plus a couple of role players who might or might not end up amounting to anything. And in return, they’re getting two years of a very good starting pitcher at far below market prices. This trade is nothing short of a bonanza for the Nationals.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/nationals-steal-doug-fister-from-tigers/

Archived