This weekend or Bust??????

Belkast

Is time running short on a Bedard Trade???? Could it be we move him this weekend or we go forward with him on our team this year???
LOL, doesn't the warehouse close for the weekends? Especially when there is the minor threat of snow?

Yeah I don't even think that's joke... I am also under the impression that if any news comes out of the Warehouse, it's on a week day.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mind if I ask you who wrote "there is no deadline" and "we have plenty of time"?

I don't have time to list everyone...Just go read some of the threads. Many people jumping on me for wanting us to rush a deal(which was stupid to accuse of me to begin with) and then people saying, there is plenty of time...We don't have a deadline...blah blah blah.

At some point, other things need to happen and teams need to move on.

The only good thing is, if AM has told teams it is this weekend or bust, that maybe it puts a "midnight deadline" on things and gets the damn trades done!

First Peace, then bigbird, now Belkast... all posting "panic" threads this week. ;)

I just assume nothing more is going to happen. That way, if nothing happens, I won't be disappointed. If something does happen, I am pleasantly surprised.

There has definitely been a lack of insider info lately. Belkast, can you tell us if it is because you have no new info to share, or if you have no info you are allowed to share?

It seems like everyone is setting these arbitrary deadlines...I don't think they really have a deadline but it does seem like McPhail isn't really getting anything done. I guess he's been at least doing work with Bedard since we've had so many serious negotiations with so many teams, but he's been talking to the Cubs since the Winter Meetings. Honestly, there are only so many players you can discuss in a trade, and if neither the Cubs or the Orioles have budged in the past month or so, it will remain that way until something changes. Whether that change be Rosa struggling at 2B during spring training, or he gets injured, or the Cubs are struggling in general. To be frank, they can only talk so much about certain players, so continuing talks at this point is pointless. Screw the making up deadlines, and lets just bring these two players into spring training and see what happens. Just focus on shipping out the other garbage on the team.

The only deadline is July. I see the end of January as like a mini-deadline. It's a time to break off talks for a minute, especially if the M's are going to waffle around about Jones :002_smad: Heck, let 'em sweat it out awhile and watch Erik post that 1.10 ERA in Spring Training. One thing is for sure, Andy won't budge and he's just as content to get that win every 5 starts and trade him to a WS contender in July for a silly amount of prospects.

Sure doesn't make for an exciting off-season, though, huh? :rolleyes:

We're all frustrated by how long this stuff is taking.

But we really can't rip into AM until the season starts. Boom Boom's thread showed that AM isn't afraid to wait it out. That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

But let's put ourselves in the Mariners' shoes. Are they going to pay a king's ransom for Bedard only to see Santana get traded for the same or less? Surely they're reluctant to pay too much. There's a lot of stuff going on for all of these teams involved that we Oriole fans probably don't take into account. And the Roberts deal might just be waiting for the Mariner deal to happen -- based on what we get from the Mariners, our preferences on Cubbies could change.

I really don't think AM will hold onto Bedard and Roberts for much longer. He started a rebuilding project when he dealt Miggy, and I don't think he's going to leave said project half-done.

The only deadline is July. I see the end of January as like a mini-deadline. It's a time to break off talks for a minute, especially if the M's are going to waffle around about Jones

While I'm for patience, I don't like the idea of waiting 'til July. An injury to either Roberts or Bedard greatly cuts their value. I'd rather get a bushel-load of young talent now while we can.

I did a search and I can't find anyone who has written "there is no deadline" or "we have plenty of time". Hence, my question. You don't have to list everyone. Just give me a couple names. Do you think I've said this? How about Lucky Jim?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57693&page=6

The first several pages of this thread....I am not going to go back and show the countless posts on this...Anyone who reads the board once a week knows this stuff has been said a lot.

What exactly would "Plenty of time" mean? End of the month? Until Spring Training? Through next seasons' trade deadline? I dont believe this weekend has any kind of deadline on it. The poster who started the thread showing MacPhails history on when "big" trades happen, showed Feb and March combined for more than half of his trades. If that is any indication of his patience, then I'll be happy to say it... "We have Plenty of time"... now, that's not to say we shouldn't be taking care of other business in the meantime.. and I'm confident MacPhail has a plan... it just isn't as short sighted(time wise) as many would prefer. At least that's my hope...

I said trades had to happen pretty soon two weeks ago, and was mostly chided for the remark. Take it from a self professed procrastinator, there is a deadline to get things done here and it is soon.

Terry Francona was on ESPN the other day saying that at this time of year everyone starts getting antsy and that managers start looking at what they are going to do for the season. I said two weeks ago that the deadline of when managers get into the mix for trades and start to look at who they are putting where is soon, and that will put more people into the mix in determining trades.

You have to remember that for most teams a trade for Bedard or Roberts means that they are going to have to fill a hole somewhere, and teams don't want to be doing that a few weeks before ST.

At this point in the off season I would be happy just unloading Bedard and holding onto Roberts. Pitchers always run the higher risk of being hurt, or just not performing as well. I think Bedard is a much bigger question mark than Roberts is. I just don't see how Bedard's value gets higher than it is. One bone chip or sore tendon and we lost our chance...

At this point in the off season I would be happy just unloading Bedard and holding onto Roberts. Pitchers always run the higher risk of being hurt, or just not performing as well. I think Bedard is a much bigger question mark than Roberts is. I just don't see how Bedard's value gets higher than it is. One bone chip or sore tendon and we lost our chance...

For me, I'll be more bothered if Payton, Gibbons and Huff are on this team for 2008 than if Bedard / Roberts hang around for another half season or so...

Deadline, shmeadline. The only deadline around this place is until some of us crazy, can't be patient fans hang themselves from anxiety.

You'd be amazed how "untouchable" someone like Bruce or Jones will get when the Reds or M's fall 5-10 games back going into May. If we start the season with Bedard and BRob in the lineup, quit crying, go buy tickets to games in April and enjoy the last of them in an O's uniform.

What's worse? "Risking injury by waiting too long" or trading them for the best we can do now and have NONE of them pan out? PATIENCE folks, patience.

Nah, can't be Belkast....I have been told by several HOers the last few days that there is no deadline and we have plenty of time.

All of those people can't be wrong, can they?

You are the worst offender of putting words in people's mouths. I know I have never said there in no deadline and we have plenty of time. More importantly I have said that there is still a month until pitchers and catchers report.

Archived