This weekend or Bust??????

Belkast

Well, I KNOW and YOU know who we HAVEN'T traded for and who we could have gotten.

Are you going to disagree with that or did guys like Milledge not really get traded?

So you are saying that you know, for a fact, that AM never attempted to acquire any player that hasn't been mentioned by the media?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should be looking to get guys who are blocked, being overlooked or have lost value for various reasons.

We aren't doing that.

Technically we did get someone who was blocked. When the Astros got Michael Bourne, who they project as their everyday CF, that made Luke Scott expendable / blocked with Carlos Lee, Hunter Pence, and Michael Bourne. Not to mentioned Darin Erstad. :)

We did that.

No, I am saying he didn't acquire them when their offers weren't tough to beat.

How do you know that he didn't offer a fair package and the other team simply preferred something else? Perhaps the Mets wanted specific players that the Nats had and gave them what they wanted in order to get them. Maybe no other teams even knew about those negotiations, and had no chance to come in with another offer. The point is, you and many others are making lots of assumptions in order to justify calling AM a failure. And really, any "deadline" that you or AM make up for trading Bedard and Roberts is only arbitrary. The only deadline that matters is July 31st, and to a rebuilding team, it doesn't make any difference whether you make a trade in January or July.

So much for this report huh?

According to ESPN 1000 in Chicago, the Cubs and Orioles have reached a tentative agreement on a trade that would send Brian Roberts to the Cubs for at least three players. It sounds iffy because no players are known but it is believed that they are holding off on announcing it until this weekends Cubs Convention

The day's not over yet....

Can someone help me out?

Where did the above text come from? Link?

Is this from today or is it just the same erroneous report from Wednesday?

Can someone help me out?

Where did the above text come from? Link?

Is this from today or is it just the same erroneous report from Wednesday?

Same potentially erroneous report from Wednesday. Same article clip like 34 people posted already, haha.

How do you know that he didn't offer a fair package and the other team simply preferred something else?
How do you know he did? I doubt they did.
Perhaps the Mets wanted specific players that the Nats had and gave them what they wanted in order to get them
.If you are willing to pay some salary, no way someone prefers Schneider to Hernandez.
Maybe no other teams even knew about those negotiations, and had no chance to come in with another offer. The point is, you and many others are making lots of assumptions in order to justify calling AM a failure.
You are also making assumptions
.And really, any "deadline" that you or AM make up for trading Bedard and Roberts is only arbitrary. The only deadline that matters is July 31st, and to a rebuilding team, it doesn't make any difference whether you make a trade in January or July.

If you want to ignore risks like poor performance and injury, this may be true.

Also, you are assuming that AM would be to get a deal done by the deadline.

For someone accusing me of assumptions, your making them as well.

How do you know that he didn't offer a fair package and the other team simply preferred something else? Perhaps the Mets wanted specific players that the Nats had and gave them what they wanted in order to get them. Maybe no other teams even knew about those negotiations, and had no chance to come in with another offer. The point is, you and many others are making lots of assumptions in order to justify calling AM a failure. And really, any "deadline" that you or AM make up for trading Bedard and Roberts is only arbitrary. The only deadline that matters is July 31st, and to a rebuilding team, it doesn't make any difference whether you make a trade in January or July.

Sure it does..it delays the rebuilding even further. May be a matter of months but a delay is a delay. And for the zillionth time (IMO), trade deadline deals are NO guarantee that you get a better deal or a better market. I would argue even less so myself.

Your "rationalization" is just that, an all=too-convenient rationalization of the inability to make trades.

Guys like Millar, Payton, Huff and Mora can bring us back whatever...It doesn't matter what Bedard, et al bring us back in terms of what these guys bring back.

They aren't bringing back guys that are going to be much impact, especially immediate impact.

They are guys that you just want to get off the roster to allow younger guys, like Scott Moore, to play in their place.

Plus, saving money on their contracts is a good thing...Maybe, even though it shouldn't, it allows us to spend more money in the draft.

I agree with a lot of what you say here but the Orioles still plenty of guys they could drop or include in trades to keep the 40 man situation ok.

BTW, in regards to your first paragraph....There is something to be said about us making the proper roster decisions and making the smart move. Wily Aybar, who was with Atlanta, was dealt for nothing...He has good upside. We should be out there looking for the cheapest talent we can get.

We should be looking to get guys who are blocked, being overlooked or have lost value for various reasons.

We aren't doing that.

SG, you keep making generalized statements like this. You, nor anyone else here, knows who MacPhail might be looking at, who we're talking to, or what minor trades might be in the works. Just because we don't hear something, and/or nothing has happened, doesn't mean thet aren't working on various options.

Sure it does..it delays the rebuilding even further. May be a matter of months but a delay is a delay. And for the zillionth time (IMO), trade deadline deals are NO guarantee that you get a better deal or a better market. I would argue even less so myself.

Your "rationalization" is just that, an all=too-convenient rationalization of the inability to make trades.

Hey Cup: I would be interested to hear your position on the bolded statement above, especially as it pertains to the July 31st trade deadline and August trade deadline for players that have passed through waivers? IMO, what we got for Steve Trachsel is a good example of a trade deadline helping to get more for a player than he is otherwise worth.

SG, you keep making generalized statements like this. You, nor anyone else here, knows who MacPhail might be looking at, who we're talking to, or what minor trades might be in the works. Just because we don't hear something, and/or nothing has happened, doesn't mean thet aren't working on various options.

Blah Blah Blah.

You know many times you and the other members of your clique has said this over the years?

Do you know how often we pick up these guys? Very rarely.

Also, as I stated, we didn't get guys that have already been traded.

How do you know he did? I doubt they did..If you are willing to pay some salary, no way someone prefers Schneider to Hernandez.You are also making assumptions

If you want to ignore risks like poor performance and injury, this may be true.

Also, you are assuming that AM would be to get a deal done by the deadline.

For someone accusing me of assumptions, your making them as well.

I'm not making any assumptions. I'm looking at all the possible scenarios and not picking one and running with it. Maybe you are right. Maybe you aren't. We don't know, and going crazy with doom and gloom theories before AM's first offseason is even over is just pointless.

Do you really think a few months is going to make a difference when we are talking about the Orioles? This will take way more than a year, and the difference between making a trade now as opposed to the summer will have no effect on where this team will be a few years down the road.

And you're right, there is no guarantee that we'll get a better deal. But if AM feels that he can't get a fair deal now, then it doesn't hurt to just wait. You can't assume that Bedard will get injured or suck in 2008 and trade him for less than he's worth. Its a risk, but I think its far more likely that Bedard is still just as valuable come July, and fringe teams that need some help to push themselves into the playoffs will give up plenty for a pitcher like him.

I'm not making any assumptions. I'm looking at all the possible scenarios and not picking one and running with it. Maybe you are right. Maybe you aren't. We don't know, and going crazy with doom and gloom theories before AM's first offseason is even over is just pointless.

But the theories that everything will be fine aren't pointless? Hmm....

But the theories that everything will be fine aren't pointless? Hmm....

When did I say that? I didn't. Nobody knows what has been happening behind the scenes and nobody knows what will happen in the future. Some people like to be hopeful, theres no reason to belittle them because you think something different will happen.

Archived