Oriole players are upset WOW

Greg

Earlier I said, this was a clear sign that this team was no longer going to be competitive and of course the apologists are backing everything Peter does and putting spins on it.

I don't think you need to be an Angelos apologist to be patient and await the results of the next two months before reaching any conclusions. When I know what their Opening Day payroll and roster are, I'll come to a conclusion about how the offseason went. There's just no reason to reach any conclusions on December 3.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just not fair yet for players and whoever to get publicly distressed. It's not even 3 whole days into December. I have to assume there is more up Dans sleeve and we are at the tip of the iceberg. I'm not insinuating that the O's will be going on a huge spending spree but the off-season is still under way.

Come February and we have signed a bottom tier SP and McLouth then it's time to speak up. Right now everyone should just let the front office do their job.

Though if I'm Jones or Buck (or anyone else signed long term) then I'm feeling antsy.

Earlier I said, this was a clear sign that this team was no longer going to be competitive and of course the apologists are backing everything Peter does and putting spins on it.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think most people are in the wait and see what they do it's only December 3rd. I agree though, after his interview this morning along with the moves, I don't have a good feeling but I will remain cautiously optimistic that Duquette has something up his sleeve.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think most people are in the wait and see what they do it's only December 3rd. I agree though, after his interview this morning along with the moves, I don't have a good feeling but I will remain cautiously optimistic that Duquette has something up his sleeve.

I would like to be optimistic but listening to DD wasn't very inspiring, that he had things in the works. I don't expect him to spill his beans and say what they are, but at least say he is looking for a bat, etc, like he has done in the past.

This time it's different.

It feels as though its going to be the same old.... Let the big name players get their contracts and when it comes down to the end when players need jobs.... The Orioles make moves.

It's called the No Player Left Behind program.... sponsored by Peter Angelos, Attorney at law,

I'm sure they are mad right now as it could just be a salary dump and there's no guarantee they use the money they saved. Johnson also seemed very well liked in the clubhouse. But I'm pretty sure they weren't too happy during game 1 or 3 of the ALDS in 2012, or when he blew so many saves and arguably cost them the playoffs last year.

Maybe if I keep saying it then it will eventually sink in, but Jim Johnson DID NOT cost the Orioles the playoffs this past season. Period.

One thing I wish the O's would do is be more creative. Rays traded for Hanigan and immediately signed him to an extension. When have the O's ever done something like that?

Rays get Bell to close games too. Anyone wanna bet he goes lights out mode with them.

Maybe if I keep saying it then it will eventually sink in, but Jim Johnson DID NOT cost the Orioles the playoffs this past season. Period.

I could say the same exact thing based on your point of view. That's why I said he ARGUABLY cost them the playoffs. At the very least, he was a major reason.

You are right, but the masses here, refuse to believe that.

You are testy today. As a fellow who probably falls into your category of apologists, I just want to make a few points.

1. I think Angelos has provided a budget in the neighborhood of $95 million to DD.

2. I don't think DD likes to spend to his full budget prior to the season (e.g., he wants to maintain some room to add in-season).

3. I think JJ is probably only worth about $4-5 million next year, if that.

4. I'm aware of the arbitration increases necessary to maintain this roster.

5. We have a structural payroll issue which bumps up against #1.

Because of #5 and #1, I think it was imperative for the O's to get rid of guys whose production can be replaced at a cheaper cost JUST TO MAINTAIN LAST YEAR'S ROSTER. Put another way, if we didn't drop JJ, I suspect we'd be more likely to rely on guys like Gausman in our OD rotation, and Pearce as our OD outfielder.

In that vein, I think the JJ move was good and necessary. My frustration with Angelos will remain very strong. I'd like $20 million more in payroll. With that said, I'm not crying over losing JJ at $10 million. That is an inefficient use of payroll regardless of your marketplace.

Are they upset because their good friend Jim Johnson was just traded away? Or are they upset because the team doesn't plan on upping the payroll or significantly improving the roster?

No clue, but the second reason would be justified.

Are they upset because the guy that arguably kept them out of the playoffs was traded?

I could say the same exact thing based on your point of view. That's why I said he ARGUABLY cost them the playoffs. At the very least, he was a major reason.

It's a team game.

Setup guys blowing leads, cost games.

Batters not hitting lefties and getting nohit for 6-7 innings, cost games.

Starters getting blown out early in some games, cost games.

Boston blew saves, Tampa blew saves, it happens.

There is a LONG way to go in the 2014 offseason, but that said, I didn't become an Orioles fan yesterday. I have seen the story before. That said, I'll reserve judgment until I see what DD has up his sleeve.

That said, if we go into next season without making improvements to this club, then why would the powers that be expect Davis and/or Wieters to even WANT TO resign long term with the Orioles????

I have defended Angelos for a long time, but if he handcuffs DD into not being able to improve this team and take the next step, then I will officially join in the pitchfork brigade. I guess the old saying is true....until Peter leaves, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Archived