Oriole players are upset WOW

Greg

Well I don't blame them. I think we will all be upset unless the Orioles make additional moves because we know they have $45 million of new money to use towards payroll. They need a splash through free agency or trades. Anything less and there will be no doubt where the Orioles stand.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Johnson deal was clearly a case of either wanting to use resources in a more efficient way, to get other solutions for the money on hand rather than overpaying for a reliever. Or of just dumping payroll in a craven attempt to fill the owner's pocket. As much as I distrust Angelos I don't think he's ever just sold off parts in an obvious attempt to make some cash.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope the organization knows that their honeymoon of winning baseball is over. It's time for them to step up this winter and use their resources for players.

That's what was promised to the fans. It was disappointing when we didn't do more last off-season, and the results were predictable. There is no reason we can't spend as much as Cincinnati, or Washington, or Toronto to put a true contender out on the field.

A $95-$100 million payroll is average. It's certainly not cheap. But it's not really enough in this division and with the players currently on the team. At $95 mil. you're stuck between rebuilding and contending (again). Either blow it up (which I doubt will happen) or get the pieces to exploit this window. Hell, if they just got Garza, and a little BP help, I'd be happy.

How so? He's not the one paying $10.8 million for 1 yr of a closer. Really an odd move by Beane, IMO.

He's famous for bragging about signing a no-name reliever, giving him save opportunities, then selling him to some chump who thinks that's worth $10M a year. I guess he's Costanzaing, although I don't think everything he used to do was wrong, nor that the exact opposite is wrong...

I doubt Kazmir and Johnson finish their contracts in Oakland. Johnson will be dealt by the trade deadline in July. Kazmir may stay one year if the A's are in contention. If they are not he will be dealt as well for good prospects. The money Oakland pays out will only be 5.5 mill for Kazmir and Johnson's will be around $5 mill. Both amounts are worth it if he lands three or four AA and AAA quality players. Can't DD do the same thing? If you are reading this Dan you can give Garza $15 or $16 mill and deal him in July for top prospects if Boston or NY are 10-12 games+ ahead of everybody. Think about it. Sign him and pay him half $7.5 or $8 million and obtain two or three quality AAA players or maybe a major league player plus a top AAA prospect. All you gave up was money. This is how you sell this to PA. We aren't keeping the player for the entire contract and maybe not for the whole 1st season. To play the game NY does you have to sign players they like as well and match their terms if not to high. I don't think most players really want to play in NY unless their ego is out of control. It's not the best place to try and raise a family and small children. It's time to start signing free agrents DD and make a few trades in Orlando next week. Don't worry about the money.

He's famous for bragging about signing a no-name reliever, giving him save opportunities, then selling him to some chump who thinks that's worth $10M a year. I guess he's Costanzaing, although I don't think everything he used to do was wrong, nor that the exact opposite is wrong...

I just think this is the year he's going for it. He's got the rotation. Now the pen. They upgraded their Def with Gentry. And they play in the AL west. I'd say they're the favorites to win the AL west again. Meanwhile we needed that extra 10 million to go to getting that bat or SP we need.

Earlier I said, this was a clear sign that this team was no longer going to be competitive and of course the apologists are backing everything Peter does and putting spins on it.
Really? Who around here backs everything Peter does?

Yeah. Name Names. I'll go tweet about it. By the way. I think it was a savvy move from a GM with a limited budget and one that allows the winning to continue unlike the Markakis extension and the Roberts extension.

I just think this is the year he's going for it. He's got the rotation. Now the pen. They upgraded their Def with Gentry. And they play in the AL west. I'd say they're the favorites to win the AL west again. Meanwhile we needed that extra 10 million to go to getting that bat or SP we need.

He said. He does not have a five year plan. He has a one year stadium. And City.

Archived