Eff this ish

Moose Milligan

The problem is the Orioles farm system is not good. They can't develop a starting pitcher.

Well the biggest concern that I have is the farm system. Beyond a few prospects in their farm system, it?s pretty thin. The other teams that spend about as much as the Orioles, their farm teams are loaded with players and that?s why they can stay relevant with a lower payroll.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/12/04/buster-olney-talks-orioles-and-jim-johnson-trade/

The farm system is thin but it sure seems like DD is dedicated to building that thing up with international signings and via the draft. I'm willing to be patient with DD and his crew to rebuild the system. The O's are in a tough spot as it would take a Wieters for prospects trade to get the farm restocked more quickly.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Complaining on a message board does nothing but make you feel better. If you truly want to show your frustration with the direction things are going:

1. DO NOT buy a single ticket to a single game this year.

2. DO NOT purchase a single piece of O's merchandise this year

3. DO NOT attend fanfest.

4. DO NOT watch MASN.

it's hard...I want to support the players and the team...just not the owner. Obviously that is probably impossible.

I don't care if I get negative ripped by certain people, but I can't wait until Angelos dies and this team can at

East see what the next owner is willing to do with the pile of money in their war chest. What is the worst that could happen? We lose? We are already doing that. But I am simply fed up with Pete

Complaining on a message board does nothing but make you feel better. If you truly want to show your frustration with the direction things are going:

4. DO NOT watch MASN.

As stated in the past, Peter couldn't care less about these things. You'd only be hurting yourself. As much as we like to complain, I still enjoy watching every game on TV and attending 15-20 games a year live. Its fun to me. Why would I deprive MYSELF a luxury just to try to hurt someone else?

4. DO NOT watch MASN.

While I agree wholeheartedly with this post, sadly #4 doesn't really matter.

If you have a cable provider that has MASN, it doesn't matter if you watch. Hell, you could never watch your TV again and Angelos would still get your money. He gets it every time you/I/anyone-with-cable pays their (monthly) bill.

I don't care if I get negative ripped by certain people, but I can't wait until Angelos dies and this team can at

East see what the next owner is willing to do with the pile of money in their war chest. What is the worst that could happen? We lose? We are already doing that. But I am simply fed up with Pete

I never wish death on anyone just to see my SPORTS team maybe do better. That is a sick outlook on life my friend.

I never wish death on anyone just to see my SPORTS team maybe do better. That is a sick outlook on life my friend.

I know, but I am simply tired of him taking people's money and not reinvesting it in the team.

Fed up. If he is not willing to make this team a winner he should sell. The idea behind owning a sports team is to win. Not take the profits and put it in your pocket. Any owner who only cares about the money will never win.

Looks like the market is moving pretty fast this offseason. Deals are getting done. Have you taken a gander at the MLB section? Salty to the Marlins. AJ Pierziskseiareski to the Sox. Beltran on a plane to KC. Morneau to the Rockies. Of course, Ellsbury signs a hysterical deal that the Yankees will regret in three years from now, but hey. They're making moves with him and McCann. I'm not saying any of these guys would have been right for us, but moves are being made and the Orioles are on the sidelines.

Jemile Weeks, welcome to Baltimore. Apparently we're too cheap to spend on Ethier and/or Kemp. And you wonder who's pulling the strings around here. Hint: it ain't DD.

Tony put it best in a post last night, something along the lines of the Orioles having worn out their welcome with winning baseball. I don't want to sound like El Trea here but it's time for this franchise to nut up and make some moves.

Another offseason like last year, we'll be lucky to crack .500 next year. Looking back on it, as amazing as 2012 was, it was probably the worst thing that could have happened to this team. Yes, it showed that we could win, but it also showed that we would largely stand pat with what we have. No use in spending any more money or trying to make significant improvements on that team.

So it goes. Headed for another bland offseason in Birdland. I'm not saying I expected anything this offseason, I certainly didn't....but this show is getting old.

You said it yourself...these are bad contracts that these teams are going to regret. The path for us to compete is the Tampa model. We need a constant pipeline of talent which we do not really have at the moment. That means building around two or three core players, hoarding draft picks, and trading veterans when they get to be too expensive. Don't forget, that is how we got back into contention--we traded Bedard and Koji and got great returns that paid off.

In the free agent market, that means we make a few shrewd investments in role player types. IF we get Mujica, Mujica plus Weeks and a few million dollars to spare would be a great outcome for losing JJ. If MikeyIce is right, that is DD's strategy, and I think it is sound. Now if we don't get Mujica or somebody comparable, then JJ is a pure salary dump and I can see being upset. Unfortunately JJ's stock was low, so we can't expect to get a Wil Myers/Adam Jones.

Wieters is another possibility to turn into prospects, but like JJ his stock is low. The question is who is our next Bedard/Shields, somebody that other teams will pay a premium to get. It may be Chen, or Norris if he has a strong season. Regardless, we can't overvalue our players and just keep them until they walk.

The reality is we cannot compete in the free agency market. We will get outspent by teams like NYY, LAD, and LAA, and they will be able to get better free agents than us. But that is now how we got competitive, and it is not a sustainable strategy for us to stay competitive.

All of this will pay off if we can extend CD and Manny. CD, Manny, and AJ are a very solid core that will enable us to compete for years to come.

Looks like the market is moving pretty fast this offseason. Deals are getting done. Have you taken a gander at the MLB section? Salty to the Marlins. AJ Pierziskseiareski to the Sox. Beltran on a plane to KC. Morneau to the Rockies. Of course, Ellsbury signs a hysterical deal that the Yankees will regret in three years from now, but hey. They're making moves with him and McCann. I'm not saying any of these guys would have been right for us, but moves are being made and the Orioles are on the sidelines.

Jemile Weeks, welcome to Baltimore. Apparently we're too cheap to spend on Ethier and/or Kemp. And you wonder who's pulling the strings around here. Hint: it ain't DD.

Tony put it best in a post last night, something along the lines of the Orioles having worn out their welcome with winning baseball. I don't want to sound like El Trea here but it's time for this franchise to nut up and make some moves.

Another offseason like last year, we'll be lucky to crack .500 next year. Looking back on it, as amazing as 2012 was, it was probably the worst thing that could have happened to this team. Yes, it showed that we could win, but it also showed that we would largely stand pat with what we have. No use in spending any more money or trying to make significant improvements on that team.

So it goes. Headed for another bland offseason in Birdland. I'm not saying I expected anything this offseason, I certainly didn't....but this show is getting old.

Yes it is getting old. Maybe as old as some complaining about

non moves by the O's on December 4th. I didnt want Salty on

the O's. I don't want a 38 year old Beltran nor do I believe

Morenau is worth what he might get or did get.

What if the O's use their money to resign Davis and Matt?

Would you be happy with that? Sorry I don't meAn to bust on

you at all. I want them to improve too. At my age I have

found that complaining doesn't change anything. O's fans are

stuck with Angelos. But it is early so I am hoping DD will be

able to get some deals done to help the O's. IMO

You said it yourself...these are bad contracts that these teams are going to regret. The path for us to compete is the Tampa model. We need a constant pipeline of talent which we do not really have at the moment. That means building around two or three core players, hoarding draft picks, and trading veterans when they get to be too expensive. Don't forget, that is how we got back into contention--we traded Bedard and Koji and got great returns that paid off.

In the free agent market, that means we make a few shrewd investments in role player types. IF we get Mujica, Mujica plus Weeks and a few million dollars to spare would be a great outcome for losing JJ. If MikeyIce is right, that is DD's strategy, and I think it is sound. Now if we don't get Mujica or somebody comparable, then JJ is a pure salary dump and I can see being upset. Unfortunately JJ's stock was low, so we can't expect to get a Wil Myers/Adam Jones.

Wieters is another possibility to turn into prospects, but like JJ his stock is low. The question is who is our next Bedard/Shields, somebody that other teams will pay a premium to get. It may be Chen, or Norris if he has a strong season. Regardless, we can't overvalue our players and just keep them until they walk.

The reality is we cannot compete in the free agency market. We will get outspent by teams like NYY, LAD, and LAA, and they will be able to get better free agents than us. But that is now how we got competitive, and it is not a sustainable strategy for us to stay competitive.

All of this will pay off if we can extend CD and Manny. CD, Manny, and AJ are a very solid core that will enable us to compete for years to come.

I agree that the Orioles need to build the farm system. This has been going on for years. The team had no ST facility for many years. The ST field for the minor leaguers was so bad other teams refused to play on it. The Rochester people told the Orioles to leave after many years because of lack of investment. The Orioles had one of the lowest amount of players drafted on the 25 man roster of any team. When will the farm system get better? We have been hearing for years we need to invest in it.

As stated in the past, Peter couldn't care less about these things. You'd only be hurting yourself. As much as we like to complain, I still enjoy watching every game on TV and attending 15-20 games a year live. Its fun to me. Why would I deprive MYSELF a luxury just to try to hurt someone else?

And it would not hurt him. It would only hurt you.

Billionaire. Not like us. Billionaire.

Archived