Eff this ish

Moose Milligan

I'm generally with the orange Kool-Aid crowd, optimistic to the end -- but I woke this morning and my baseball team is worse than it was a week ago.

Yankees don't scare me yet, until they add some arms, Bosox have slipped into neutral, but may be resting a bit on their WS trophy. It is not too late for some master plan to kick in that we don't know about, but it sure feels like the master plan is to profit take...

-Don

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so then...we should just do nothing I guess. No one is "worth" what they cost. Apparently players are not fond of being paid bargain basement Orioles $$. Not a single player out there that would improve this team I guess. Or at least not at what they cost.

Let's just all sit...watch Angelos count his $$, and have an $85M payroll. Can't wait for the new season!!!

The O's will fill the holes they need to fill. They just won't overspend for extravigent temporary solutions. The OD club will be better than last years OD club. Just not going to be sexy. IMO a R.Davis/McLouth platoon would be more bang for the buck, than many of the FA LF options that would cost us a pick as well.

I'm not that concerned about the payroll. In fact, I'd prefer to have a good, fiscally responsible team to a mercenary laden high payroll team. However, the real problem I have is that the Orioles refuse to pick a street. If you are going to operate with a smallish payroll budget then you need to fully commit to developing your own talent and cost controlling your major league roster. The Orioles don't do either very well which is why we are in this current predicament. They seem to be reluctant to do ANYTHING well and instead commit to mediocrity and pray for 2012 type miracles.

I'm wary of the current direction of the club, but so long as opening day payroll is >100 million, I won't get too upset. Some of that 25 million needs to be spent. I don't mind DD trying to make that money stretch as much as possible and spreading the risk around. If between now and April DD gives Feldman a 2/20 contract, McLouth a 2/8 contract and Mujica a 3/15 contract, I'd be quite pleased. But at the rate things are going, we may have to get a move on it.

I'm also open to a Davis or Machado extension...

We hear "we aren't going to spend in free agency we are going to extend our own players."

Trade Jim Johnson...

"we need to reallocate those resources."

Ellsbury signs for $22 million a year...

Next we will hear "Buck said we wouldnt be able to keep Wieters and we are finding we are being priced out of resigning our own players."

Meanwhile the As and Rays are making fantastic low financial impact trades that are setting them up for a competitive 2014.

Smaller market teams are making moves to be better.

Similarly situated market teams (Cincinnati, Detroit) are making moves to get better.

Large market teams are spending money.

Let's see the Orioles do something to improve the team in a significant manner, and if they can't, then its time to trade some veterans.

I'm not that concerned about the payroll. In fact, I'd prefer to have a good, fiscally responsible team to a mercenary laden high payroll team. However, the real problem I have is that the Orioles refuse to pick a street. If you are going to operate with a smallish payroll budget then you need to fully commit to developing your own talent and cost controlling your major league roster. The Orioles don't do either very well which is why we are in this current predicament. They seem to be reluctant to do ANYTHING well and instead commit to mediocrity and pray for 2012 type miracles.

This makes a world of sense. Do something and do it better than anyone else.

Since by almost all accounts, Angelos is a decent man, we're probably going to find out the reason he doesn't seem to give a crap about the team he owns is because he's using all the profits to fund a secret insurrection in North Korea or Iran. When that comes to light, I'll feel a little better about all the losing.

Guest rochester
Looks like the market is moving pretty fast this offseason. Deals are getting done. Have you taken a gander at the MLB section? Salty to the Marlins. AJ Pierziskseiareski to the Sox. Beltran on a plane to KC. Morneau to the Rockies. Of course, Ellsbury signs a hysterical deal that the Yankees will regret in three years from now, but hey. They're making moves with him and McCann. I'm not saying any of these guys would have been right for us, but moves are being made and the Orioles are on the sidelines.

Jemile Weeks, welcome to Baltimore. Apparently we're too cheap to spend on Ethier and/or Kemp. And you wonder who's pulling the strings around here. Hint: it ain't DD.

Tony put it best in a post last night, something along the lines of the Orioles having worn out their welcome with winning baseball. I don't want to sound like El Trea here but it's time for this franchise to nut up and make some moves.

Another offseason like last year, we'll be lucky to crack .500 next year. Looking back on it, as amazing as 2012 was, it was probably the worst thing that could have happened to this team. Yes, it showed that we could win, but it also showed that we would largely stand pat with what we have. No use in spending any more money or trying to make significant improvements on that team.

So it goes. Headed for another bland offseason in Birdland. I'm not saying I expected anything this offseason, I certainly didn't....but this show is getting old.

Those four words in a well-written post sums up what everyone should be feeling.... the Marlins THE MARLINS!!! signed Salty! THE MARLINS!! We may have hit a low folks.... Did I say THE MARLINS!!!

Its December 4. If this is all that has happened by February 4, then I will worry.

But I tend not to worry too much about this stuff anyway.

Typically I'm right there with you, but based on historical ways we handle business, we won't see much between now and Opening Day to excite anyone.

This thread is why I hate this board sometimes. Everyone is always so negative. The Orioles organization is still in a MUCH better position than they were several years ago with a steadily improving minor league system and a solid core of players for the next 3-4 years. Change doesn't just happen overnight. We have a very good GM and manager, and I'm sure we'll compete at least for the next few years regardless of the current payroll.

Archived